shape
carat
color
clarity

6 prong setting for 0.5cts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FangsDK

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I''m just wondering if a 6 prong setting will work well with a diamond of slightly less than 0.5cts? A couple of folks i spoke to mention that the setting may well cover most parts of the diamond, hence affecting its spark...

Thanks in advance!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nope, 6 prongs on 1/2 carat looks great, as well as 4 prongs, 3 prongs, whatever. if that''s what you want, you should go for it, it won''t affect the performance.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have a look at this post - Butterfly 17 bought this lovely Tiffany .55ct six prong ring.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-downgraded-tiffany-and-co-wedding-set.48616/

You have to scroll right down the page to see the pics - the diamond is not obscured by the prongs at all
1.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
get platinum prongs if you have a choice.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I have 6 prongs on a slightly smaller stone and it doesn''t effect the sparkle factor at all. I really love 6 prongs. It should be fine.

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
i guess i might be the only one who isnt too happy with 6 prongs on a .50 or smaller....

i had a .25ct and it was set in a 6 prong and it really felt as if the prongs were covering too much of my stone when i up graded to a .50ct i went with a 4 prong and it showed alot more of my stone..it just seems as if a 6 prong depending on the size of the stone might actually hide alot of your stone....just my opinion....

hanione

Rough_Rock
I agree with emilina. I have a .6ct in a 4-prong setting and I''m really glad I don''t have six. I find my ring is already hard to keep clean, but with more prongs in the way, it would be even harder. Then again, there is something so pretty about the circle of prongs you get with the six, so do what makes you happy. Happy hunting!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
It really is just a preference on which you like better.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It will look fine. My mom has a .50 stone with six prongs and it looks lovely. You can definitely see the diamond just fine.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 6:21:29 AM
Author:FangsDK
Hi everyone,

I''m just wondering if a 6 prong setting will work well with a diamond of slightly less than 0.5cts? A couple of folks i spoke to mention that the setting may well cover most parts of the diamond, hence affecting its spark...

Thanks in advance!

A 4-pronger - it only takes one prong to bend out of place and the diamond can escape.

A 6-pronger - it takes 3 prongs.

The common damage scenario (catching in one direction) has only one prong bending significantly. Hence each prong on a 4-pronger must be made extremely strong. Prongs on a 6-pronger can be made weaker, and hence smaller and less obtrusive.

You''ll find the people who are happy with their 6 prongs have smaller prongs that those on a 4-pronger. Get platinum prongs to minimize size even further and you''ll be fine.

FangsDK

Rough_Rock
Really need to thank everyone for your kind responses!

I think i will probably proceed with 6 prong, as my wife to be likes the way the ring is shaped (something about hexagon) ;-)

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results