shape
carat
color
clarity

6 months to go?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
There''s a little voice in the back of my head that can''t stop squealing in delight after the conversation I just had with my BF yesterday, and I know no one but my fellow LIWs can appreciate hearing about it.
2.gif

BF and I began dating at the end of June and became an official couple in late July. We are positively crazy about each other - we had a stretch where we saw each other for 90 days in a row, even though we live an hour apart. He knows I want to spend forever with him but that I won''t make any major moves or life decisions until we have spent all four seasons together and he has some financial issues cleared up. I brought up the LIW list in casual conversation yesterday and mentioned how far I have climbed since I re-added myself this summer. He smiled and told me he won''t let me make it through 2008 on that list!
30.gif

He says he wants an envelope with ring information - pictures, ring size, specs, websites, everything he needs to help him select a beautiful ring for me. He wants me to give him all of this stuff so that he can surprise me with an engagement ring but still know that I will love it. And the best part? He wants to have the envelope so that he can use the information "in about six months".
23.gif
30.gif
9.gif
This kind of a timeline offered without any serious pressure is so exciting that I have 30 lb. butterflies bopping around in my stomach!

Obviously my poor sweetie has no idea what goes on on Pricescope. Does he realize the crazy flood of info he''s going to get in this envelope???? Forget envelopes... I think I need a crate...

heather318

Shiny_Rock
I like the part about spending all 4 seasons together.. It made me chuckle.. Congrats on the great conversation! Just don''t overwhelm the poor guy with too many choices or details!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Equ, one of my favorite PSers, if you lived near me I''d throw a darn party for you (and I''ve never been an LIW!!). I so admire how you''ve handled the last few years of your life, you are such a champion! Enjoy every minute of those butterfiles, they can be so darn fun when things are just right (and it sounds like they are!!).

K

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Heather! After going through all of the engagement ring hoopla before, my tastes are much more defined now. He''s gonna have it easy.
2.gif

Date: 12/28/2007 10:36:40 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Equ, one of my favorite PSers, if you lived near me I''d throw a darn party for you (and I''ve never been an LIW!!). I so admire how you''ve handled the last few years of your life, you are such a champion! Enjoy every minute of those butterfiles, they can be so darn fun when things are just right (and it sounds like they are!!).
K

Thank you so much, Kim, you are such a sweetheart! I can''t take all the credit for the past year or so, I have an amazing support system in place with my family and friends. They are really the people who deserve to take a bow! I say we throw a party anyway. I love parties. Can we do an 80s theme?
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Equ, that is exciting news indeed! You deserve the best best (both rings and beaus!) and it sounds like you''re getting both!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/28/2007 11:32:49 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Oh Equ, that is exciting news indeed! You deserve the best best (both rings and beaus!) and it sounds like you''re getting both!

Thanks, DeeJay, you are too kind.
1.gif

ETA: I love your Christmas Demon Dog user pic, still cracks me up every time I see it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2007 11:36:05 PM
Author: equestrienne

Oh Equ, that is exciting news indeed! You deserve the best best (both rings and beaus!) and it sounds like you're getting both!

1.gif

ETA: I love your Christmas Demon Dog user pic, still cracks me up every time I see it.
It's so true though! You are one of PS's gentle souls, and I well remember your recent trials, so I do think you certainly deserve the good relationship that you're now in.

And thanks for The Demon's pic comment. A few more days and he goes back to his normal self for the season.

BTW, are you going to *share* what's going into this magic ring idea envelope with us?
11.gif

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/28/2007 11:39:48 PM
Date: 12/28/2007 11:36:05 PM

1.gif

It''s so true though! You are one of PS''s gentle souls, and I well remember your recent trials, so I do think you certainly deserve the good relationship that you''re now in.

And thanks for The Demon''s pic comment. A few more days and he goes back to his normal self for the season.

BTW, are you going to *share* what''s going into this magic ring idea envelope with us?
11.gif

Awww, you make me blush...

OF COURSE you guys all get in on the magic envelope contents!
9.gif
I am leaning towards some kind of solitaire with surprise diamonds at this time, but that may change as I begin to create the "Bling Book" for my BF. I definitely know it won''t look like my old e-ring (for obvious reasons).
28.gif

Pic of former bling for reference:

eqsoldering.jpg

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s so exciting equestrienne!! I''m absolutely thrilled for you. Enjoy putting together your bling envelope! WOOHOO!! I''m doing a happy dance for you
36.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
What a sweet guy you have! And I love the "Bling Book"! Too cute... Congrats on getting a timeframe, I know what a huge relief that can be. Please keep us posted with all the details to come!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Bee and CR!
4.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2007 11:13:07 PM
Thanks, Heather! After going through all of the engagement ring hoopla before, my tastes are much more defined now. He''s gonna have it easy.
2.gif

Date: 12/28/2007 10:36:40 PM
Author: KimberlyH
K

Thank you so much, Kim, you are such a sweetheart! I can''t take all the credit for the past year or so, I have an amazing support system in place with my family and friends. They are really the people who deserve to take a bow! I say we throw a party anyway. I love parties. Can we do an 80s theme?
2.gif
80''s themed it shall be! I''ll break out the Pat Benetar gloves, you don the neon leggings.

Seriously, I know how wonderful it is to have a support system of family and friends who love you so much; but they love you and support you because you are so great. Enjoy this time!!!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I''m another member of the Equ fan club!!

Seriously, girl- you''ve gone thru a ton this year and it''s sooo nice to see you happy again. you deserve it- enjoy this special time with your sweetie.

Everything was meant to be!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
KimH - Fresh outta neon leggings, but I''ll rock a Go Go''s t-shirt with you!

Thanks so much Charger!
1.gif
You guys are all so very kind.

Hee hee, I''ve been procrastinating on cleaning up around the condo today to work on the "Bling Book" for BF.
11.gif
He''s getting a lot of great stuff in here, 4 Cs info, my preferences, websites to find stones, and tons of gorgeous photos, including:

Vatche X Prong (with a snapshot of Ellen''s solitaire)
Vatche Royal Crown
Vatche Swan
MM Flame
Matatora''s Lockes solitaire
WF Legato Sleek
WF Harmony (with a snapshot of LynnB''s fishtail ring)

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, the book is done and ready to give to the BF, at which point everything is left up to him. This is so exciting. I''ve barely done anything all day, other than work on this.
3.gif

What he is getting is a blue three prong folder emblazoned with the title "Bling Book" across the front. Inside, I''ve written a cute introduction about us as a couple (I know, you''re all gagging, way too mushy) and given him three sections of information: Buying a Diamond, Choosing a Setting, and The Proposal. He has complete documentation of my preferences and lots of pictures to help him out. I feel 110% comfortable leaving everything in his hands like this.

I''ve attached a screen capture of my favorite page.
31.gif

eqblingbookpagehahaha.jpg

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s another screen capture of the full book, so you can see the scope of this thing.
1.gif
If only I was this productive when it comes to masters classes or grading papers for my middle schoolers...
20.gif

eqblingbookfull1.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL Equi, this is FAB! Next time I get engaged I''ll have to enlist your services!!!
28.gif

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/29/2007 11:50:42 PM
LOL Equi, this is FAB! Next time I get engaged I''ll have to enlist your services!!!
28.gif

Thanks, DeeJay. I''m also available for upgrades.
9.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow I love your bling book! It''s so exciting!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
OK that is so exciting! Do you mind sharing a little more about the book, how detailed is it? My BF asked for the SAME thing, in an envelope and I am struggling with it. I dont know how much to put in there....etc. etc. Yours looks SO cute!!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, bee! You are such a sweetie! I hope he doesn''t open this thing and run screaming for the hills!
23.gif

Date: 12/30/2007 1:22:51 PM
Author: Miscka
OK that is so exciting! Do you mind sharing a little more about the book, how detailed is it? My BF asked for the SAME thing, in an envelope and I am struggling with it. I dont know how much to put in there....etc. etc. Yours looks SO cute!!

Miscka: I don''t mind sharing details at all! It was about 15 pages
20.gif
but I think I gave him a great start and covered every little detail he might need to know when he begins the process. Let me give you a basic rundown of what you see there above...

Part 1 - Buying a Diamond includes:
-my preferred shape with a photo
-links to Good Old Gold and Pricescope tutorials on the 4 Cs
-what I feel is most important in the 4 Cs (I ranked them Cut, Color, Clarity, Carat) with more detailed specs on what I want him to look for and what the best buys are
-page on diamond grading reports that will hopefully steer him towards a certed AGS/GIA stone
-some info on where to buy a stone, including links to Whiteflash, Excel Diamonds, and Good Old Gold
-a link to the Rocky Talk forum in case he wants additional help from awesome, knowledgeable people (I warned him to let me know if he is going to start posting there, I don''t want to ruin the surprise of my life!)
28.gif

Part 2 - Choosing a Setting includes:
-important personal specs: white gold, ring size 7.5, band 2.5 to 3 mm wide, no knife edge, six prongs preferred on simple settings, no side stones but stones on the head are okay
-inspiration pictures from various designers and websites, with website links and pricing info if available (I also made little arrows and notes that pointed out what I liked the most about each setting, in case he wants to go custom and have something made that combines my favorite parts of these rings)
-what NOT to buy page that shows a pic of my previous e-ring

Part 3 - The Proposal includes:
-not much advice here other than no public scoreboards or Jumbotrons and no restaurants
2.gif

-I asked him to ask my parents before he puts his proposal plan in motion because they would appreciate that show of respect, especially since they are going to be paying for a portion of any future wedding (their address and phone numbers are tucked in the back pocket of the folder)
-lastly, I wrote some sweet things about how I am looking forward to making a life together and wished him good luck!

Hope that helps, Miscka!
9.gif
I think if you are very specific about what you do and do not want (i.e. DO buy a stone that is between __ and __ in color/clarity/carat weight, DON''T buy a setting with this on it, etc.) and add some helpful pictures, you''ll have your man off and running.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2007 4:07:10 PM
Thanks, bee! You are such a sweetie! I hope he doesn''t open this thing and run screaming for the hills!
23.gif

He definitely won''t be running for the hills! You so deserve to get a beautiful ring!!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Equestrienne!! That really helped. I love all the pics you added. Very inspirational. I am actually really excited about the project now, it seemed daunting before, as I did not want to overwhelm him with all my PS knowledge! I hadnt thought about adding pics (duh) which I think adds a lot.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
UPDATE:

After BF arrived at my condo last night and settled in to spend a few days with me, I told him I had made him something. I reminded him of the "envelope" he wanted and showed him the Bling Book, explaining that I had taken the time to make it for him now because later on, when school is busy and my masters classes are in full swing, I wouldn''t be able to produce something like this. I handed the folder to him and braced myself for a reaction...

He laughed. And he got a sh*t-eating grin on his face! He loved it!

When it finally hit me that he liked it and he hadn''t made a mad dash to the door, I read him my introduction and flipped through the pages of the book with him. He was most impressed with the time and effort that went into making the book for him. He actually said he was bummed that he couldn''t show the folder around without people questioning our sanity. Most couples don''t talk about getting engaged when they are only five months in, but things are different with us.
2.gif

As I told him, I wanted to give him all the tools he needed to select a ring that I would love 30 years from now as much as the moment he places it on my finger. He was truly happy about the book and once he is done remodeling the rental he is currently working on, he says he''ll be on to the ring project. We even talked a bit more about diamonds and rings at dinner! In his words, no relationship he''s ever been in has ever felt this "complete" for him, even after a few years, and he''s really looking forward to everything that 2008 will hold for us. He spent the rest of the evening in a very cuddly mood, so I''d say that the Bling Book got the response I hoped it would get. I''m making him a romantic NYE dinner tonight with a roast chicken, so that should also help (Engagement Chicken, lol).
31.gif

Miscka, good luck with your own version of this project.
9.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2007 1:40:11 PM

As I told him, I wanted to give him all the tools he needed to select a ring that I would love 30 years from now as much as the moment he places it on my finger. He was truly happy about the book and once he is done remodeling the rental he is currently working on, he says he''ll be on to the ring project. We even talked a bit more about diamonds and rings at dinner! In his words, no relationship he''s ever been in has ever felt this ''complete'' for him, even after a few years, and he''s really looking forward to everything that 2008 will hold for us. He spent the rest of the evening in a very cuddly mood, so I''d say that the Bling Book got the response I hoped it would get. I''m making him a romantic NYE dinner tonight with a roast chicken, so that should also help (Engagement Chicken, lol).
31.gif

haha I remember the "engagement chicken"
3.gif
. It sounds like 2008 will be a great year for the two of you!

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Aww so cute! Good luck with the engagement chicken... I under cooked mine. I think it needs longer than it says! Just an FYI! The parts that were cooked were yummy though! LOL
18.gif

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha, well, this isn''t a true Engagement Chicken recipe, but I figured it wouldn''t hurt anything to make him a nice meal. BF already raves about my cooking and eats anything I put in front of him.
2.gif
I was cleaning out the freezer and decided to do a lemon pepper roast chicken in the slow cooker today. It''s got butter, thyme, and lemon pepper seasoning in a butter rub under the breast skin, there is a whole lemon inside it, and it''s marinating in more lemon pepper seasoning and lemon juice. Salad, baked potatoes, and mixed fruit on the side - MMMMMM!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seriously, you''re making me hungry just reading that! I hope that you had a good night last night!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Seriously, Equestrienne, you stored up some amazing karma over the past couple of years and are getting it back in spades now. What an amazing guy you have! Your Bling Book cracks me up, too, especially the ''What not to buy'' page! Whatever you end up with will be perfect, I''m sure.
36.gif

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2008 7:40:32 AM
Author: bee*
Seriously, you''re making me hungry just reading that! I hope that you had a good night last night!

Hahaha, I won''t tell you how tender and delicious the chicken turned out, then!
2.gif
It literally fell apart when I tried to take it out of the cooker. SO good.

I am feeling a bit sick, so we just stayed in and toasted at home with Dick Clark and some sparkling wine. We almost missed the ball drop, though, because... we were looking at diamonds.
3.gif
LOL! BF says he is more "worried" about picking the right setting than the stone, now - I showed him some 4 Cs info and as an engineer he seems to really get how all of that works. I offered to help him with more setting pics and links if needed.

Happy New Year!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results