shape
carat
color
clarity

6 loose diamonds from a tennis bracelet- help with ideas to use

Vapri

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I'm a long time admirer of the forum here. Recently purchased a 7ctw tennis bracelet from Genesis Diamonds in Brentwood TN. I went looking for a custom size. My wrist is 5.5'', so I was looking for something shorter than the 7" length that most places offer. I checked Costco and BlueNile as well. Ended up liking this 7ctw at Genesis and the owner said he could get it remake it in a smaller length. He calls the designer and the designer quoted a higher price for the smaller length one than the 7" in the store that I liked. I ended up getting the 7" length for $9700 the stones are round BD, SI1, I-J range. The designer on the phone quoted 12K for making it today and the piece in store was 4 years old stock. So I'm wondering about three things -
  1. Did I get a good deal?
  2. What length should I shorten it to - I feel like 6" would work but read somewhere that it should be wrist size plus 1 inch ?
  3. What is good necklace design or any other ideas for 5-6 diamonds that may come out of shortening this bracelet? I have diamond studs and 3 stone hoops so not thinking about earrings. Necklace or bracelet ideas would be nice.
Your inputs and ideas/thoughts are highly appreciated. Thanks.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would try on bracelets of different sizes to know what size to shorten it to. I prefer my bracelets to be on the tight side, and if they are loose I will push them up my arm to the point where they fit tightly, so for me I want only enough slack in the bracelet to fasten it closed and so that it doesn't leave a mark on my wrist, but no more. My wrist is 5.75" and I prefer 6" bracelet length. But YMMV.

A dbty ("diamonds by the yard") necklace or bracelet would be a good use for the remaining diamonds.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the above posts. I like tennis bracelets to be .25 - 5 inches larger than my wrist. I think an entire inch is too much.

However, you also need to take into account if you fluctuate in wrist size. I am blessed in that I do not, but many people do. If you do, you should err on the side of a little looser than tighter.

For your extra diamonds, what about a 5 or 7 stone ring?

If you are going for a necklace, I've always loved Mrs's B's "Sparkly Dodad" (spelling?) Its like a cobblestone cluster pendant. I think it was originally a bracelet charm, but you could totally use it as a pendant too. She sold it and I forget who owns it now, but its sparkly, fun and quirky (all three qualities I love!)

Last edited:

Vapri

Rough_Rock
Thank for the sizing ideas. My wrists don't fluctuate so I would be comfortable going around 5.75" length. That now leaves me with around 8 stones. The ring idea is a good one but I feel like the size of the stones on my size 4 finger would be bulky. Would another DBTY bracelet be a good idea to stack ?

Vapri

Rough_Rock
20211028_111149.jpeg
I was looking at this crescent pendant necklace without the big stone in the center could be good idea to repurpose the leftover stone. Feel like I may get good use out of it. My life is mostly casual outfits and athleisure, so this seems like an easy fit. Thoughts?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would repurpose the stones into a bangle of some sort, like a cross-over design to maximise the impact.

DK :))

Vapri

Rough_Rock
I like the idea of a DBY necklace. What size are the stones?

The stones are 0.18 carat each. DBY necklace is a good idea, It looks nice in the pictures but I always wonder if spacing the stones like that minimizes impact. havent tried in person though.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My life is mostly casual outfits and athleisure, so this seems like an easy fit. Thoughts?
this is why I thought DBY would be good. They are very wearable, not matter the casualness of your clothing.

EClove

Shiny_Rock
20211028_111149.jpeg
I was looking at this crescent pendant necklace without the big stone in the center could be good idea to repurpose the leftover stone. Feel like I may get good use out of it. My life is mostly casual outfits and athleisure, so this seems like an easy fit. Thoughts?

Love this or a DBTY necklace!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I like everyone’s ideas so far. An Art Deco filigree bangle would be my choice if you can afford the metal on top of already buying the tennis bracelet.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones are 0.18 carat each. DBY necklace is a good idea, It looks nice in the pictures but I always wonder if spacing the stones like that minimizes impact. havent tried in person though.

I have a 17" dbty necklace with 11 15-point diamonds. I wouldn't consider less than 9.

How about earrings? Here's a style that uses three stones in each earring. I am sure most jewelers could order this style setting.

I wouldn't try to make another bracelet to go with the tennis bracelet.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 17" dbty necklace with 11 15-point diamonds. I wouldn't consider less than 9.

Doesn't that depend on what length necklace she needs? I would think 8, 18 point stones would be enough for a 16" necklace, depending on the spacing that works for the wearer.

Vapri

Rough_Rock

Vapri

Rough_Rock
Doesn't that depend on what length necklace she needs? I would think 8, 18 point stones would be enough for a 16" necklace, depending on the spacing that works for the wearer.

good point. For my neck a 15" to 16" length would work perfect.

chere

Shiny_Rock
I got my tennis bracelet from Costco and my local jeweler resized it. It wasn’t expensive. I called a few places and the quotes were the same range. I kept the spare links if I need to replace a stretched out link or chipped stone and I have the option to change it back to the original length.

I wear my tennis bracelet above my watch. My watches are 6” long and my tennis bracelet is 6.5”. My wrist is around 5.75”.

I love DBTY necklaces. My favorite one has 5 stones 9” across the front, from collar bone to collar bone, and a jump ring at 17”, 18” and 19”.

Vapri

Rough_Rock
I got my tennis bracelet from Costco and my local jeweler resized it. It wasn’t expensive. I called a few places and the quotes were the same range. I kept the spare links if I need to replace a stretched out link or chipped stone and I have the option to change it back to the original length.

I wear my tennis bracelet above my watch. My watches are 6” long and my tennis bracelet is 6.5”. My wrist is around 5.75”.

I love DBTY necklaces. My favorite one has 5 stones 9” across the front, from collar bone to collar bone, and a jump ring at 17”, 18” and 19”.

Hi Chere, Thanks for the info. What ctw did you get from Costco? What do you feel about Costco diamond quality and sparkle?

chere

Shiny_Rock
What ctw did you get from Costco? What do you feel about Costco diamond quality and sparkle?

I got this 4ctw bracelet when it was on sale in May. The bracelet is a crazy little sparkle bomb. It was appraised as EFG, VVS-VS2, excellent cut. I posted pictures on this thread.

I’m really happy with Costco. It ships the next day and it's a hassle free return to any warehouse. I highly recommend ordering a bracelet to see what you get.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results