shape
carat
color
clarity

6.02 G VS2 Emerald Cut - Cut feedback please :)

bearycute

Rough_Rock
I called in this 6.02 G VS2 to look at in person. It's a bit deep at 70.6% depth, with a 1.48 L:W ratio. IGI cert here, Loupe 360 here, and a few videos I took here. One in the bright overhead lighting I have at home, and one by the window with light coming from behind me. I had a hard time keeping my finger prints off of it, so excuse the weird marks.

Purchased from Ritani with a pretty low $/carat so I don't seek to be super picky, but want to return if it's poorer quality within the return policy if it isn't. Just trying to find a good intersection of big-and-sparkly + cost for a pretty ring.

Things I notice/have questions about: the facets immediately adjacent to the keel, is that considered "windowing"? Or is it just normal emerald cut behavior? ECs seem to be hard for me to understand in comparison to all the material available online for judging round cuts.

Thank you,
Bear

Felipe

Rough_Rock
The 360 looks blurry, made me suspect striation.
But your videos don't look blurry.
If you decide to keep it, you could opt for a setting that would not be visible through the diamond.

bearycute

Rough_Rock
The 360 looks blurry, made me suspect striation.
But your videos don't look blurry.
If you decide to keep it, you could opt for a setting that would not be visible through the diamond.

Do you mind showing me which facet(s) on the 360 you suspect striations? I want to see if I can see it IRL. I’m still learning about striations so it’s definitely an area of weakness for me to identify if it isn’t on a larger facet.

Felipe

Rough_Rock
Strain looks like Windex streaks on the diamond.
Striation just makes the diamond look blurry, out of focus.

bearycute

Rough_Rock
Strain looks like Windex streaks on the diamond.
Striation just makes the diamond look blurry, out of focus.

Interesting. Definitely no out of focus IRL, I only see that blurry out of focus on moissanite I think from the double refraction. I really don’t like moissanite because of it. It looks constantly dirty or oily.

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks nice! For the right price, I’d keep it. When you put an EC directly on your fingers like that, you are bound to see a bit of windowing. But the level I’m seeing there is normal and not problematic in my experience.

bearycute

Rough_Rock
I think it looks nice! For the right price, I’d keep it. When you put an EC directly on your fingers like that, you are bound to see a bit of windowing. But the level I’m seeing there is normal and not problematic in my experience.

I didn’t know that was the norm, thank you for educating me! Are there ways of setting it to improve its sparkle/reduce that window-y feel?

I paid exactly $601/carat before taxes. I feel like I robbed someone

Reactions: Ann

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I didn’t know that was the norm, thank you for educating me! Are there ways of setting it to improve its sparkle/reduce that window-y feel?

I paid exactly $601/carat before taxes. I feel like I robbed someone

From what I’ve read here on PS, you won’t have that occasional windowing problem once the stone has been set. Do you have a stone holder ring? That sets the stone off the finger and gives you a better idea, I think. Personally I would set the EC in platinum so that yellow gold doesn’t show through. That’s what I’m going with for my lab EC three stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results