shape
carat
color
clarity

6.01 ct cushion cut ring & 4.20 ct round cut ring

hydrangea

Rough_Rock
Today i'm posting my mothers diamond ring and my engagement ring.

Mothers ring
My mothers diamond ring is a 4.20 carat, H colour, SI1 clarity, round brilliant diamond. She purchased the diamond in Hong Kong and also chose a Cartier ring design which was made in Hong Kong. I love the design and the way it shows off the profile of the diamond. It is truly magnificent and the pictures do not do the ring justice.

_36397.jpg
2_35.jpg
3_40.jpg

My ring
My ring was purchased by my boyfriend of 10 years at an auction in Sydney after a very difficult year. My ring is a 6.01 carat, J colour, SI2 clarity, cushion modified brilliant diamond. The design came with the ring and although I love halos, I feel as though the diamond looks stunted and the profile is hidden. I will be visiting New York in May and am hoping to change the design to either a halo set higher, or Tiffany's split shank Lucida design. Any suggestions would be great - you ladies know your diamonds! :twirl:

11_3.jpg
22_0.jpg
33_0.jpg
44.jpg
55.jpg
66.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful rings! Lucky ladies!

As for your ring, I think the stone should be able to speak for itself. I am very much a fan of the plain solitaire, especially for larger stones, however I think you might have nailed it with the split shank design. Without a halo :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely rings. Nice and big ;-)

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, you both have lovely rings. I myself like simpler rings, but there are many amazing options for you to consider. Do you know the measurements of your stone? Proportions can make a huge difference in how a stone looks in various settings.

How long will you be in NYC? If you are going to be here for less than a month you may want to look where you are now and determine what design you like. That way you could speak with the person making your ring and give them the exact dimensions of your stone and they would only need to set the ring while you are in the area.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous rings!! I think a split shank Lucida design would be stunning on your large cushion. But definitely get some ideas of what you may love to help you narrow it down. :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, beautiful rings! You might find that you'd love your stone in a more refined handforged halo setting, such as by Steven Kirsch if you are going to NYC. You need to be very careful about choosing a setting for an SI2 stone, because it could have inclusions visible from the pavilion that you don't see because of the halo. So definitely do not buy a non-halo setting unless you see your stone unset. I actually think most modern cushions look best in a halo.

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/halo.html

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are happy with your center stone, I would leave it in its current setting.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with DiamondSeeker, getting a new more refined halo made by someone like Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera would follow the shape of the stone better and be less rounded in the corners and less of an oval shaped halo visually. I am not sure if you would want to set the stone up much higher because it could end up catching in everything and looking like a UFO....

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love both rings :love: Follow your heart! If you like the ring as it is - keep it as it is, especially as it is a memory and your boyfriend bought it for you :) :angel: If you want to change the halo, I would personally prefer a small delicate halo following the curves of the centre stone closely to make the centre stone shine on its one - its such a beauty it doesn't really need a halo ;-)

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
This is a real beauty!

hydrangea

Rough_Rock
cokitty said:
Congratulations, you both have lovely rings. I myself like simpler rings, but there are many amazing options for you to consider. Do you know the measurements of your stone? Proportions can make a huge difference in how a stone looks in various settings.

How long will you be in NYC? If you are going to be here for less than a month you may want to look where you are now and determine what design you like. That way you could speak with the person making your ring and give them the exact dimensions of your stone and they would only need to set the ring while you are in the area.

Thank you for the wonderful advice.

The dimensions are 10.8 x 9.77 x 6.74 mm.

I think you are right - I will need to provide a jeweller with the design and the dimensions as I will be in NYC for 1 week only.

Now I just need to find a design...

diamondseeker2006 said:
Wow, beautiful rings! You might find that you'd love your stone in a more refined handforged halo setting, such as by Steven Kirsch if you are going to NYC. You need to be very careful about choosing a setting for an SI2 stone, because it could have inclusions visible from the pavilion that you don't see because of the halo. So definitely do not buy a non-halo setting unless you see your stone unset. I actually think most modern cushions look best in a halo.

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/halo.html

Wow! Such beautiful designs! Thank you for your recommendation.

I can't see the inclusions from the top of the diamond. I will take a better look once the stone is unset.

This is from the GIA certificate:

inclusions_0.png

arkieb1 said:
I agree with DiamondSeeker, getting a new more refined halo made by someone like Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera would follow the shape of the stone better and be less rounded in the corners and less of an oval shaped halo visually. I am not sure if you would want to set the stone up much higher because it could end up catching in everything and looking like a UFO....

I agree - the oval shape of my halo bothers me. I am in love with Thouarella's Leon Mege ring and am hoping to get something similar:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-antique-cushion.140739/

I'd love a design I can wear without a spacer between the engagement and wedding rings... Just not sure if this can be achieved.

Scandinavian said:
Love both rings :love: Follow your heart! If you like the ring as it is - keep it as it is, especially as it is a memory and your boyfriend bought it for you :) :angel: If you want to change the halo, I would personally prefer a small delicate halo following the curves of the centre stone closely to make the centre stone shine on its one - its such a beauty it doesn't really need a halo ;-)

Thank you, Scandinavian! You are too kind. I have been thinking about this for a while now and although the ring is very special to me, the shape of the halo bothers me. I feel as though the halo does not follow the shape of the stone well.

I am still trying to decide between a delicate halo or something like this:

111_6.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results