shape
carat
color
clarity

57% Table....Importance of Table?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bright

Rough_Rock
I have looked and looked for threads on the imporance of table and have been unable to find anything I am looking for. SO, I apologize if this is repetitive....

Is a 57% table really all that? I have seen stones of the same carat weight, color and clarity, but the ones with a 57% table seem to demand a higher price. What about 56 or 58? How do these stack up? Seems that 1% should not be a noticable difference. I have seen recommendations that one should look in the 53-57% range.

Any thoughts?

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There is no reason why a 57 table shoud cost more. I believe you just happened onto something and maybe even one dealer that is just paying more for that particular diamond. Without good reason I may add.

To me an Ideal Table is 55%, I then work away from there. You must remember that the table alone will or will not make the diamond.

This goes back to the "cone of brilliance" that Kaplan wrote about 20+ years ago and was recently written about again. I also think Michael Cowing has done some research on this.

Michael, where are you?? I may drop him an email and ask about it.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You cannot make judgments in the overall about a diamond's cut by a table measurement alone. I just had someone yesterday who gave me a once over on a stone with a 55% table. It turned out that the crown was way too high and the crown angles were too steep. The overall depth was 61%. No doubt the pavilion was shallow.

Cutters today know how to cut a great stone and also how to "swindle" a couple excellent parameters onto a somewhat deficient stone. That is the nature of cutting diamonds and making money on them.

As trained buyers you select a very good stone from the fair ones. The untrained buy the fair ones and everyone is still happy.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:)) You should not only look at the table % it has to coincide with the depth ,another words a 57%table with a 64% depth would take away from the diameter of the stone therfore making it look smaller than the size you are purchasing.
In my opinion you could go up to a 60% table as long as the depth is not too deep or too shallow!:read:
Also shop around the internet and see who gives you the best deal for your money.As many of us give free incentives ,with a hugh selection for you to choose from.

GOOD LUCK:wavey:

diamondsman

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results