shape
carat
color
clarity

55pt Question (please help)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thespian666

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for reading. So, basically here''s the deal. I''m looking for advice on pricing because everything I''ve learned about gemology has been from the past 2 weeks.

-55pt Solataire in 14k white gold 4-prong contoured ring no side-stones (already sized to 4 like I need)
at a privately owned retailer here in LA county.
-Round
- I
-Ideal Setting
-S.I.1
-Some mild flourescence
-Don''t know symmetry
-Don''t know polish (though it looks to be very good)

Salesman has sold to members of family and therefore believes he is giving me a "good deal."

Price says $6,975 (obviously inflated)
He is giving it to me for $1,350 with GIA cert and guarantee (warranty)

Is this really a "good deal" average or crappy?

I wanted to give her a 75 pt with same setting for less than $2K but I compared this 55pt to a simmilar 72pt they had and the appearance was so very simmilar.

Thanks for the read.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
there's a lot of information that is missing for us to know if it's a good deal. do you have the angles off the GIA report?

and the difference between a .55 ct and a 3/4 ct is pretty significant to me...I'd go for something bigger, since you have the budget for it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2008 3:51:49 PM
Author: JulieN
there''s a lot of information that is missing for us to know if it''s a good deal. do you have the angles off the GIA report?

and the difference between a .55 ct and a 3/4 ct is pretty significant to me...I''d go for something bigger, since you have the budget for it.
Welcome!

And ditto Julie.

thespian666

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick response,

In short, I haven''t seen the GIA report as of yet though he has it. I am going to see it later today.

Of course I''d like to get a bigger rock but truth is by budget is really anything less than $2k. $1500 would be better.

Unfortunately, my ability to throw her ''off the trail'' as it were has required me to spend $$$ on a mini-vacation and christmas gifts and financing a ring seems like a really bad idea.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, what is an ideal setting?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price is a pretty good deal if it''s a nice stone.

thespian666

Rough_Rock
Cool,

Yeah I have no idea what I''m talking about when I say Ideal Setting.

What I mean is that apparently it''s cut is "ideal." But, as I''ve yet to see the GIA Cert, I wouldn''t know.

Thanks for the feedback though. I keep getting a stomach ache everytime I think about it, and not exactly in a good way.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried one of the pricescope online vendors for a diamond? You could probably find a beauty, just need to do a little searching. Hope this helps!

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
I would probley pass, you could get something like this or this with this setting

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thritto

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results