Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

50''s Brides Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sarie_j

Shiny_Rock
Okay guys, now I need some help -- I loved the thread on glamorous hair and know that you can help me... My dress (which I can''t get the pictures to upload for some reason) is a tea-length strapless ivory with lace overlay and a swingy skirt. I want my whole day to be fun and relaxed, so I want to go for a happy 50''s style maybe with an open-toe pump and a birdcage veil, I''m just having some trouble finding ideas about how to put it together. I''ve searched, but what I find always end up being very vamp-y glamorous type styles, and what I''m looking for is kind of cookie-cutter June Cleaveresque . Anyone with any sites or thoughts that could help would be appreciated - I know you guys have something stashed away --

sarie_j

Shiny_Rock
So it won''t let me put pics of me up, but it let me do the stock photo -- My dress is in ivory, and since I have more hips my skirt would up being more swingy but you can get the idea --

dress_139254.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I''ll bite. I''d do a cage veil or pill box hat. If you want to be a little more daring you could try feathers. There''s some info here:
http://www.headpieces.com/
and more here.

The shoe thing is a little tricker, maybe a high mary-jane instead of a peep-toe?
Super cute peep-toe slingbacks

Hmmm... I''m not finding anything else right away... I think it''s a great idea, maybe a shear wrap or jacket to tie it together?
Good luck!

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock

I wish I could be at your wedding, it sounds like it will be FUN! I think the birdcage or short veil would be great, with pearls, maybe some kid gloves? Maybe a bowtie for the groom or groomsmen, and something tea length for the bridesmaids with maybe a neckscarf or more pearls? I think a nosegay bouquet for you, a tiered all white wedding cake, and if you can manage it, a 1950s car to take you away from the ceremony with a big Just Married on the back of it!!! :) Of course, these are ONLY ideas!

I attached a compilation of pics I had found of 1950s era stuff...please excuse the green and orange dress, I just thought the neck line was interesting (and would be a quick attachment to a modern dress to give it a vintage feel)! I can't wait to see what you come up with, make sure you post lots of pics!

50scollection.jpg

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
the one on the right reminded me of your dress with a fun pink "underskirt" (?)...(why do these girls all look like they're 12?!)

cosmobride_magazine_dec_jan07.jpg

sarie_j

Shiny_Rock
Blingerrr -- You are AWESOME - Thank you Thank you Thank you so much for all the ideas I love them all

My dress, believe it or not, came from David''s Bridal -- I know, I know, I was shocked -- Had bought a Watter''s gown and was really excited about it, but was in David''s for a BM dress trial and saw my dress, tried it on just for kicks, and thought I was going to die I loved it so much so I walked out with it under $250 tax and all -- And that last picture is exactly what I''m looking for!!!! Like I said, I kept finding like Marilyn Monroe type brides, you know all gorgeous and perfect, which I am definitely not lol...

sarie_j

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a link that lets you see the bottom and back of the dress --

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2039&prodgroup=123

When I started dress shopping I wanted a tea-length, but I had so much trouble finding one that I finally chose my first dress because I didn''t like any that I had seen -- David''s actually has several really pretty tea-length gowns if you''re looking for that
Everyone had talked about the fabric not looking the best in pics, but with the lace overlay I think it will photgraph beautifully --

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s absolutely perfect!
I am a while away from getting married (working on the ering still) but I was thinking of a small and fun summer wedding, and this dress is absolutely perfect! I was thinking of something with a lace overlay, and I have my grandmother''s 3-strand pearls that I wanted to wear (something old) and a single stand pearl headband, which would really go with this type of dress...I didn''t even think of the 50''s era type thing until I saw your post and now I think I might be sold on it!!! :) :)

Please keep me updated on your progress! I love doing searches for pictures so let me know!

skirts_n_underlays.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Style File: Emma Watson
    Style File: Emma Watson
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.