shape
carat
color
clarity

5 year anni - Vegas or Napa?

Would you do Vegas or Napa for a 5 year ainniversary?

• Vegas - it's cheaper, faster, and lots to do!

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Napa - it's relaxing and romantic!

Votes: 28 87.5%

• Total voters

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have time today, would you be interested in putting in your two cents?

We can do a short getaway this year for our anniversary (we're doing our big trip for year 6 to Scotland, since this year we have to head back to Oz for his mum's 60th).

Money IS an object, in the sense that we should probably save as much as we can. But we also do want to celebrate our 5 year.

Napa:

- We'd have to take three nights to make it worthwhile.
- We have never been there (well, I have for work, but we have not been there together for a trip)
- The luxurious accomodations are all coming in at $700+ per night. :errrr:
- We would have to fly from SoCal and rent a car
- Days would be spent wine tasting, one nice dinner on night of anniversary, and just relaxing and exploring

Vegas
- We would go two nights
- We've been there plenty of times
- The nicest hotels are coming in under $200 a night. About $250 for premium view rooms.
- We would drive
- Days would be spent either by the pool or window shopping. We could afford to do two good dinners. We don't gamble much, but would anticipate losing about $200 as we would each have a $100 to play with.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote Napa if you can swing it, money-wise. (OUCH to $700/night!)

I am not a big fan of Vegas at all, though, so I'm definitely biased. Plus Vegas just doesn't strike me as a romantic getaway!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thing, I'm sure I can find accomodation for less. I just started at the top and looked at prices, so it can't get any worse than that. It's just comparing the best in Napa, vs the best in Vegas. Not having been to Napa, I haven't researched all the accommodation possibilities. Still, it seems that 3-400 per night is going to be realistic range if we want something central and nice.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
have you considered staying in a less pricey (but still really nice) part of wine country? that would be my vote :)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
What about Sonoma?

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
If money wasn't part of the equation, then I'd probably vote for Napa. It seems like a more romantic trip for an anniversary. That said, since you're trying to save, I think Vegas would be a lot of fun, too.

I agree that looking for less pricey accomodations in wine country might be ideal. Could you potentially rent a place on vrbo.com or something? Or you could keep an eye out on travel sites like travelzoo.com to see if any great deals come up for travel around your anniversary. That way, maybe you could do the wine country trip for less expense.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Napa because you've been there. It's more special.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Napa! It's more romantic and just more peaceful. Each time I go to Vegas, I'm ready to leave shortly after. It's fun and a nice distraction , but not a great couples retreat if you ask me.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
it depends on the personality I guess. my fiance and I probably will go to vages just because that's more us~ :bigsmile:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say none of the above - and opt for a nice get-away that you'd both enjoy within driving distance. Would it be as "romantic" as Napa? Well, it'll be as romantic as the two of you make it! :wink2:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I would much prefer Wine Country over Vegas. The suggestion of Sonoma is great, but if you want to be in Napa, my FI and I have really enjoyed staying at Indian Springs in Callistoga. It's a little less posh (and less expensive!) than some of the high-end hotels, but nice comfortable rooms, fantastic mineral pool, mud baths, and Callistoga has some great restaurants you can walk to (we loved the incredibly affordable tasting menu at JoLe).

slg47

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1304972351|2916557 said:
I would much prefer Wine Country over Vegas. The suggestion of Sonoma is great, but if you want to be in Napa, my FI and I have really enjoyed staying at Indian Springs in Callistoga. It's a little less posh (and less expensive!) than some of the high-end hotels, but nice comfortable rooms, fantastic mineral pool, mud baths, and Callistoga has some great restaurants you can walk to (we loved the incredibly affordable tasting menu at JoLe).

I second JoLe and Calistoga! you could also check out St. Helena.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I voted Napa, because from what I know of you, wine tasting and a nice dinner would be a good way to celebrate your anniversary. Something you'd both enjoy, no kid, no designated driver. It sounds fantastic to me.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
TGal, have you considered priceline? i've scored some 4* and 5* for amazing prices.. like under $100 for a 5* at city center. Look at betterbidding.com and search vegas... you'll see the winning bids/dates/hotels. ;-)

eta: Aria, to be specific. i just did a quick search and it looks like Vdara has been coming up as well.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
double post.

holly sparkle

Shiny_Rock
I voted Vegas! As you said its ALOT cheaper and there is tons of things to do. I think Vegas can be super romantic if you want it to be. There a tons of lovely restaurants. Maybe ye could catch a show or have dinner outside in Mon Ami Gabi with a few glasses of wine. Lovely romantic spot I think and they have great food.
Save your money for your big trip next year!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Memorable = Napa.

cheers--Sharon

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have to ditto everybody (it seems) and say Napa. Sounds like a more romantic locale. And might I suggest VRBO.com? I used that to go to Vegas a little over a week ago and rented a condo in The Palms for a tiny fraction of what it would have cost through the hotel, and it was AWESOME. You can rent houses, too, with jacuzzis! :love:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess it would depend on what type of vacation you're looking for. I've never been to either place but Napa got my vote, hands down. It seems more romantic and a great anniversary destination.

Krae11

Rough_Rock
VRBeauty|1304971714|2916545 said:
I'd say none of the above - and opt for a nice get-away that you'd both enjoy within driving distance. Would it be as "romantic" as Napa? Well, it'll be as romantic as the two of you make it! :wink2:
You mentioned you're in SoCal...any interest in driving to Santa Barbara, staying two nights and doing the wine-tasting/fine dining there? It's not cheap, of course, but you could save on airfare, keep it at two nights, but still have that more romantic feel like Napa.
That said, I voted Napa. I'm certain you could find less pricey accommodation that would still be quite lovely. That feels more like an anniversary celebration to me. But, as mentioned above, it depends on what fits you two as a couple more.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Napa!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You might be able to get a package for Napa. There are luxury vacation auction sites.

I love Vegas and can relax there. We're doing 3 nights there this week. But if you have been there lots of times... meh, it's not so special. And your five year is special.

I vote Napa if you can get a nice package. Check Sonoma it's slightly cheaper. Santa Helena and Yountville for accommodations.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1304981643|2916745 said:
You might be able to get a package for Napa. There are luxury vacation auction sites.

I love Vegas and can relax there. We're doing 3 nights there this week. But if you have been there lots of times... meh, it's not so special. And your five year is special.

I vote Napa if you can get a nice package. Check Sonoma it's slightly cheaper. Santa Helena and Yountville for accommodations.

Agreed. I think part of the reason Sonoma is cheaper is because its less touristy. Yet its sooooooo beautiful. Took my breath away.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks all! Well you convinced me...will be looking strongly into Napa again.

AN, we're not opposed to Sonoma at all. But I know there are napa area wineries we want to check out, and the restaurants we want to try are in Napa. I am looking into Sonoma too, however.

Gypsy, thanks for the auction idea! I will look into that...I won a vacation on auction once and it went super well.

KirstryRae, we have done the SB thing before, as well as the wine tasting and are familiar with it. I think that's why we don't want to do it for our 5 year, although we did toss the idea around. Plus now when we stay, we maximize our time and stay in Buelton, which is HARDLY romantic!!!

MP, I'm a huge fan of VRBO and have found a few great deals there in the past. However, this time I really want a hotel...I want a check in desk and not have to deal with a person, huge deposits, and possible surprises. But VRBO is usually one of the first places I'll go and look for vacation rentals.

ForteKitty, it's been a long time since I've checked out priceline, and it always made me nervous. Maybe now it has changed? I'll look into it, thanks!

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to vote!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
TG, go to wine country!!!! So much more romantic for an anniversary, and more of a getaway. I felt like I needed a vacation after my Vegas vacation!!

But go to Sonoma pleeeease?! It's so much nicer and cheaper and not as hoity toity. And it's BEAUTIFUL. It'll still run $300-$400 a night but that's for a fab room and a totally gourmet breakfast at a B&B. Stay in Healdsburg, preferably at the Grape Leaf Inn. It was the best trip of my life and I can't WAIT to go back. :love: :love: :love:

If you go, wineries NOT TO MISS: August Briggs, Failla, Seghesio and Vincent Arroyo.

Best of luck with your decision!

Edited to add: It's okay to stay in Sonoma and still get to Napa! Wine country seems like it should be big, but it's like a 45 minute drive from the way top to the way bottom... no problem going for a fancy dinner at a restaurant you really want to try! I stayed both places and much preferred Sonoma, so next year we're going back but plan to stay the whole time at the Grape Leaf Inn and make a day trip to Napa :))

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Tgal- i always check here for the list of hotels: http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=65& They have some 4* for sonoma too. I just looked up the Sonoma zone hotels on tripadvisor, and these two 4* hotels dont look bad...

Napa - Sonoma (Sonoma)

4* MacArthur Place http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Inn_Spa-Sonoma_Sonoma_County_California.html

4* Renaissance Lodge http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...sort_Spa-Sonoma_Sonoma_County_California.html

I've recommended betterbidding everywhere because I saved so much money over the past 12 months... over $3k on just europe and a few long weekend trips. It's crazy, and it's easy to search for the info you need. If you click on priceline or hotwire thru their site, they get the referral money, but I personally use mrrebates and keep my money since the 3% adds up quick. People post their wins, stars, zones, bid amount, strategy, and i use that to estimate what i should start w/ and what i might win. Then you go on PL (go thru mrrebates first) and select where you wanna stay and how much to pay, then bid. If it doesn't work, i increase by $3 the next time. (or i use another cc and name and bid again, or use the free-rebid zones)

My london room was going for $399/nt at hotels.com and expedia, and i won it for $100. On that same trip I also saved about $900 on rooms in Bruges and Amsterdam. My scottsdale room was going for $289, and i won it for $100. And last weekend, I got a SD room for $70.. Hyatt Mission Bay, normally $189, AND they gave me a huge upgrade when i checked in! I've never paid more than 50% of what hotels.com lists.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I voted Napa. We've never regretted spending more on a vacay than we anticipated. In fact, we're planning our belated honeymoon to Belize right now and things are adding up, but I don't think we'll ever look back and say "Oh darn, we should ahve spent less!"

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK gals, thanks SO much again. I've priced out everything, and I'm *this* close to booking Napa. For anyone interested, here is the breakdown of costs for my weekend, for both Vegas and Napa. It's only going to be a 2 night stay, so I'm trying to swallow the idea that I'm 600+ up just by going to Napa when I consider flight and car rental alone.

Napa:

Accommodation: $300/nt = $670 (more or less) inc all taxes
Flights: $99 each way from LAX to Santa Rosa (wine country airport). Total for both me and TGuy $458
Car rental: 3 day rental (even though we only have it for 2 days, 4 hours): $170 for a midgie car.
Wine tasting: About $150 over the course of 2.5 days. Some are reasonable, some not, and one of them is even free.
[bAnniversary ]Dinner:[/b] IF we can get a reservation at French Laundry: $800. I'm really trying figure out if this is worth it. I'm a foodie, but that much money is hard to swallow.
Rest of meals: $3-400
Fuel: $40
Airport Parking: $60

Total for Napa vacation: $2648. For 3 days/2 nts. Ouch.

Vegas:
Accomodation: $249 night, lakeview front room Bellagio. About $570 inc taxes
Fuel: $120
Anniversary Dinner: Joel Robuchon $8-900. Their full pre-fixe is MORE expensive than French Laundry, so I'm thinking of skipping this restaurant altogether, as I don't think it could be worth it. If that's the case, we'll spread the money over 2 nights at "good" restaurants and still probably have money left over. This could be our entire food budget in Vegas.
Rest of Meals (assuming we do Robuchon) $3-400
Drinks by the pool (can we bring a flask? :tongue: ): $150 for a day of lounging, drinks, and eats.
Gambling: $200. Cocktails are free when you gamble, and we usually just sit around and play something silly since we're in Vegas.

Total for Vegas Vacation: $2240. That sounds close in price to the Napa vacation, but most likely we would not do Robuchon thereby saving about $600 off this trip. Making it $1640, which is far more reasonable.

If we can't get a French Laundry reservation, the other nice restaurants are almost as pricey, but it'd probably shave about $300 off the night.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results