shape
carat
color
clarity

5 stone vs. solitaire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swl

Shiny_Rock
Hello girls! If you have to pick between a .7 carat solitaire (plain band, no side stones) or a 2 ctw 5 stone ring, which one would you choose? which one do you think is prettier?

swl

Shiny_Rock
for engagement purpose
21.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, difficult choice as I have both.

Personally, I love the idea of a solitaire or 3-stone for an engagement rather than the 5-stone. I tend to see a 5-stone plus in the eternity ring category.

What shape are you thinking? and is it for you or for your future FI?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends. I have larger fingers and really like the finger coverage, solitaires don''t look great on me, but neither did the 5 stone I tried on once. What does look good is a diamond with side stones and 3 stones.

Between those two options I''d chose the 5 stone, more finger coverage, but I''d try several one until I found one that looked right on me (maybe the stones curving around the band more, rather than almost be blocky on top before a sudden drop to the shank). Are either a solitaire or 5 stone the only options though?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For an engagement ring, I would probably go with the solitare in an inexpensive setting and buy the diamond from a vendor with a good upgrade policy.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi welcome to Pricescope; a solitaire is beautiful and classic.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Solitaire for me.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
.7 vs 2 carats though... hmmm
hard one!
I think you''re a great guy for even considering the question.

You sound like you have the ''eternity ring'' of my dreams in that five-stone. I am already married, though, and have just achieved the solitaire I''ve been dying for, since my engagement six years ago!

Is your girl the type to ''fall in'' with the general fashion on most things? The solitaire is a strong symbol of engagement, being that single diamond.

The five-stone, though - wow! Talk about sparkle!

Good luck with your decision!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I love, love, love 5 stones, and for awhile, I wore mine much more than my e-ring.

That said, I think most women still prefer the traditional solitare. Is there a way you can find out which she''d rather have?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had both and other combinations. I would choose the 5 stone, provided it was all top quality cut stones. More bling, and it doesn''t get in the way too much. If I could do it all again, I think I would have picked a 2-2.5 ctw 5 stone rather than my 1.77 round for my upgrade. But of course it''s a very personal choice.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take the 5 stone due to much higher carat weight (as long as they are nice stones). What a fun choice!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2009 11:11:14 AM
Author: tyty333
I would take the 5 stone due to much higher carat weight (as long as they are nice stones). What a fun choice!

Ditto to this! WhiteFlash makes a lovely u-prong ....

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I''d take the 5-stone over a 0.7ct solitaire. A 2ct 5-stone ring from wf could have all the stones ACAs and upgradeable!

But a solitaire is the most traditional for an engagement ring.

They are both pretty just different styles. Is one of each an option???

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the solitaire for en e-ring, myself.

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
I would think the solitaire.... it''s more traditional engagement , plus, is she/you the type of person that wont want to upgrade in the future or has that perfect carat weight that she or you would be happy with? I''m the type of person that feels the 5 stone ring is more anniversary then engagement,,, but that''s just me. Let everyone know what yo decide to go with!
1.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
As others have stated the solitaire is the more classic and conventional choice for an engagement ring and it would be lovely, but for my money I would go with the extra bling and finger coverage of the five stone. I tried on a two carat total five stone band at my jewelers and I was blown away by it!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
5-stone. I''d get a solitaire later.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for the 5 stone! Way more bling!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you know my answer!

<-----------------------------

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Solitaire for me--and a 5 stone for future 5th anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results