shape
carat
color
clarity

5 stone ring restoration with Crane Jewelers

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure if this belongs here because I dont really have a question.... but when i was trying to find someone to do my antique ring project I of course searched here and there really wasn't much on antique ring restoration. I feel like there's been a real resurgence in interest in old cuts maybe it would help to post about this.

So, I have been wanting and looking for a 5 stone ring for a while. I wanted "larger" diamonds, prong set and i wanted the fancy scroll work for the basket. The fancy scrolly/vine was super important to me.

Well, I found the "perfect" one, exactly what i wanted, but it had an emerald for the center. The center stone was held by 4 prongs and I wanted 6 prongs and i wanted them changed to claws, and they were all very sharp and catching on everything. So I had the bright idea to put my grandmother's transitional diamond in the center in place of the emerald. The emerald was listed as .79 and I think about 6mm, my grandmother's diamond is 6.1mm. My grandmother's ring couldnt be worn because the shank was paper thin, it was so worn, and it was a solitaire diamond, and I don't like the look on me of a right hand solitaire diamond. So I never wore my grandmother's diamond, it has been sitting in a box in my room for 25 years.

I am sure many people would NEVER take 2 antique rings apart like this, but this is for me to wear every day, just for me, and I will never sell it, it will be passed down to family, and sitting in a box was more of a waste than taking apart the rings.

I contacted several jewelers but Kevin Crane at Crane jewelers in Seattle was by far the most knowledgeable and realistic of all I spoke to. He spoke to me for over an hour and i learned so much, I felt really confident and comfortable sending it to him.

So, I sent it on Monday June 8 overnight. He didn't tell me he received it, but tracking told me it was delivered. He called me that Saturday to just kind of confirm what I wanted and that it was possible. We went over what I wanted and I sent him pics and I went on about the prongs being important and I like to see the prongs. Again, he spent a ton of time on the phone with me. I did say I wasnt in a rush, and I am not sure how long this would normally take, but he never gave me any ideas on a timeline.

I pretty much never heard from him again. LOL. I had to reach out after a month just see what was going on. He said he was going to send me pictures but didnt. He sent me an invoice on July 31 and I FedExed him a check. On August 10 i text and asked what was going on and he responded with the tracking info, it was actually being delivered that day!

So overall, I loved Kevin, he did an amazing job and really listened and definitely knew everything about antique rings but the communication was not good after the initial 2 conversations. He added milgrain in one area and it doesnt 'go' with the ring and I dont like it. I generally love milgrain but it doesnt "fit" and I would have said no to it had I known. Thankfully I don't really notice it. Also, i wish the top and bottom prongs were more substantial but he may not have been able to make them any bigger, he created them from nothing, however, he didn't talk to me about it at all so i am just guessing.

He changed the center emerald to my grandmother's diamond, he added the prongs top and bottom center, restored ALL the prongs, they were all sharp and sticking up, cleaned it. He also restored the detail on scroll work to look like vines. Again, I am SUPER happy with the amazing work he did.

So, great work, not so great communication. I would absolutely recommend him, but I would just be clear on a timeline and that you want to approve it before it gets sent.

So enough with the words, we only care about the pictures!

This is the original ring I purchased. Victorian 18k 4 OECs with rose cuts in between ... and if I could find the paperwork I would tell you the rest of the details... LOL

12099.jpg

12103.jpg

this is my grandmother's transitional diamond

IMG_9885.jpg

IMG_9772.jpg

Project2.png

And here is my restored 5 stone with my grandmother's stone as the center!
I LOVE it, it's HUUGE though and sparkles so much I am a little self conscious wearing it

I cannot get over the sparkle!!
IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

Just compared to my ering (2.27 OEC)
IMG_4023.jpg

This is where i actually wear it, right hand middle
IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_3902.GIF

EC8

Shiny_Rock
STUNNING!!!!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
That is magnificent!! Congrats!!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Amazbling!! LOVE it!!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well done!
( liked the ‘befores’ as well, but understand your want to change)
Love :love: this

where’s the milgrain? - I’m curious
:)

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
well done!
( liked the ‘befores’ as well, but understand your want to change)
Love :love: this

where’s the milgrain? - I’m curious
:)

You can see it here. Honestly after my initial microscopic inspection I kind of really don’t see it now

126DDED7-A971-4B2E-807F-AEEDDE05D978.png

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much!

I feel so lucky to own this and to wear it. It’s just so beautiful and having my grandmother’s diamond means the world to me.

I did not have the best childhood, but I have many happy memories with her and she was very special to me.

I was kind of nervous posting because I thought maybe people would be negative about me ripping apart the two antique rings so I appreciate everyone’s understanding about my intent!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is gorgeous!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I'm coming back to look again. Don't feel bad about making this ring from the other 2!
It really looks like your grandmothers diamond was made for this ring....it just took some decades and the vision on your part to bring them together. I am sure your grandmother would be gobsmacked with the results!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty! Great remake!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I can't get over it :love: :love: :love: positively green, I am.
I want a band just like it some day.
I think it's amazing.
And it was a great decision!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Looks amazing!!

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Such a special way to honor and remember your grandmother. Wear it in good health!

blingthing

Shiny_Rock
It's fabulous and I'm sure your grandmother would be delighted your wearing her diamond :)

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Sooo beautiful and sparkly!

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my! This just might be my dream ring! It‘s perfect. What is the diameter for the 4 „smaller“ diamonds?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your jeweler did a fantastic job! It’s stunning.

Ol-Blue

Shiny_Rock
Omg I love this so so much!! It’s just stunning!!!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much!

I feel so lucky to own this and to wear it. It’s just so beautiful and having my grandmother’s diamond means the world to me.

I did not have the best childhood, but I have many happy memories with her and she was very special to me.

I was kind of nervous posting because I thought maybe people would be negative about me ripping apart the two antique rings so I appreciate everyone’s understanding about my intent!

@Inked , its so beautiful, you did a great job! You found the best solution to what you wanted on both fronts!! What did you do with the emerald? I bet it would be so pretty as a pendant!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so, so beautiful! What a transformation!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning and an amazing way to honor your grandmother ❤️❤️❤️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps move this to Show Me The Bling so everyone can enjoy this gorgeous ring. ❤️

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is just beautiful! How special to have your grandmother’s diamond incorporated into this stunning ring!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! That's a gorgeous thing you've created there! Could you give us more indoor shots??

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I can't get over it :love: :love: :love: positively green, I am.
I want a band just like it some day.
I think it's amazing.
And it was a great decision!

Aww!! thank you! I feel that way all the time on here like, maybe SOMEDAY i will have something that gorgeous! Thank you for appreciating it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results