shape
carat
color
clarity

5 carat Diamonds antique brooch -devant de corsage? Help please!

Vasili

Rough_Rock
Hi , i would appreciate any help identifying this piece of jewellery . What iknow about it is that its made of 21-22 carats gold and 5-5.5 carats of old diamonds . It was owned by a very well known greek family for over 100 years . I understand that the piece it was at some point convertible to a brooch and something else (what , Im not sure ) it also looks like some pieces from the convertible back are missing .The diamonds are way better than i v seen before in old pieces Any help identifying, dating,value, DSC02128.JPG etc is going to be great . Thanks for your time ! DSC02143.JPG DSC02142.JPG DSC02135.JPG DSC02127.JPG DSC02134.JPG

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m no expert but it looks Georgian or early Victorian to me. The piece traditionally could have been a brooch, pendant or hair clip. Without hallmarks it’s nigh impossible to identify origin but it seems European to me, slightly heavier style. The value, well, tricky, brooches aren’t terribly popular these days and the style is also not particularly commercial but the diamonds look to be very white, old cut and great size. It would be sad to dismantle the piece, but I feel the value is more in the diamonds. It would be worth your while having it professionally appraised for the diamonds. If it were mine I wouldn’t dismantle it and I’d keep it.

Vasili

Rough_Rock
I’m no expert but it looks Georgian or early Victorian to me. The piece traditionally could have been a brooch, pendant or hair clip. Without hallmarks it’s nigh impossible to identify origin but it seems European to me, slightly heavier style. The value, well, tricky, brooches aren’t terribly popular these days and the style is also not particularly commercial but the diamonds look to be very white, old cut and great size. It would be sad to dismantle the piece, but I feel the value is more in the diamonds. It would be worth your while having it professionally appraised for the diamonds. If it were mine I wouldn’t dismantle it and I’d keep it.
Bron357 thank you so much for your answer! I m trying to determine also if its victorian or earlier ..The diamonts are way better than other pieces of this period that i v seen before and i would hate to dismantle it also! Unfortunatelly the economy here in greece is so bad and im not able to keep it but im trying to figure out the history and a fair value of the brooch because i got an offer from a jeweller here that sounded to me very low for 5+carats of diamonts and 30gr of gold...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Delighted to see ! The diamonds are rather unusual - in simpler / older cut models than anything around here, and there is allot of interest in historical diamond cut styles on this forum as it is. They are difficult to date for me (stab in the dark: 1800s) & would say that the setting(s) must be younger.

These things sure have their place in the world. Perhaps drop a line to the likes of Adin.be, Lang Antiques, The Three Graces (georgianjewelry.com) ?

Last edited:

Vasili

Rough_Rock
Delighted to see ! The diamonds are rather unusual - in simpler / older cut models than anything around here, and there is allot of interest in historical diamond cut styles on this forum as it is. They are difficult to date for me (stab in the dark: 1800s) & would say that the setting(s) must be younger.

These things sure have their place in the world. Perhaps drop a line to the likes of Adin.be, Lang Antiques, The Three Graces (georgianjewelry.com) ?
Thank you Valeria101 for your answer! I went to 2 more jewellers here in athens and they said that they believe the brooch is from the 1800s and they said that the diamonts are better than what they normaly see in pieces from that period.Both of them though said that the previous estimate of the size is not probably correct :(2 the believe that the main stone is around a carat and total around 4-4.5..
One of them did offer 4500 euro for it and even though we can use the money i didnt accept it because it sounds low to me.unfortunately we dont have sites like the ones you mention here in greece..
I have a trip to london planned in spring ,maybe i l take it there to be evaluated and sold.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Certainly worthwhile to take to London and consign with a reputable auction house. I think it is a fine piece of Georgian /Victorian jewelry which someone who collects such pieces will pay an excellent price for. Lots of people in London with “money” and good auction houses put their sales up on the internet as well and can then attract buyers from all around the world. Good luck with your sale.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results