shape
carat
color
clarity

5.77 ct yellow sapphire, e-ring in progress, GemsNY

frettybride

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I posted this story in the RockyTalky forum, but here's the short of it: A few months ago, our house was robbed, and I lost my e-ring and other jewelry. I was very sad for a while, then went searching for a new e-ring, started looking for diamonds (like my original e-ring), just couldn't find a diamond I loved, wanted something colored but not super bright, and ended up falling in love with this strange-colored pale yellow sapphire from GemsNY when I went there in person. In person, it looks like the exact same color as my 14kt yellow gold wedding band -- it is a very different kind of yellow sapphire color. It's GIA certified no heat treatment, which made it more expensive, but I just couldn't find a sapphire that I liked as much as this one (I don't have anything for or against heat treatment).

I've attached a pic. It looks bigger than it is because the gem holder is holding it high above my hand.

I've also attached CADS for the ring design -- I changed my mind a bunch of times and I think I started driving the jewelers a little mad, but they have been so accommodating, I am very grateful. The folks at GemsNY had a CAD ready for me in less than 24 hours, and a second CAD with changes ready for me in another 24 hours.

My final bit of crazy indecision is whether I want the milgrain around the center stone...

So, please tell me I'm not crazy about this center stone and ring design so I don't drive my husband and the kind folks at GemsNY mad with indecision!

Oval Yellow Sapphire 7-19-11.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not very good at judging CAD's, but I think it's a nice style and I'm glad you're bezeling it. I love lighter toned stones in bezels, or halos. It's a very substantial ring for a very substantial stone. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress made with this project. :))

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a lovely design for your sapphire. It will look fantastic :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
That looks like a beautiful ring and nice, large stone. Let us know how it turns out.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will turn out great. I can't wait to see it when it's finished.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see this ring! It's going to have a lot of presence.

frettybride

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the support! I was nervous about the different color and design, but Pricescope really encouraged me to think outside the box and just get what made me happy! And while I'm waiting I get to drool over your rings...

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I think your sapphire is absolutely wonderful, with a lot of personality. It's great that you're bezelling it - I agree with TL - and I think the milgrain (or beading?) adds a nice bit of texture to the ring, which makes it more feminine and vintage-looking. I'd keep it.

So exciting! Congratulations! Please post pictures once you have it :D

T

talamasca

WOW :love: your sapphire is beautiful and the ring design is great. I really like the millgrain and the thickness of the ring. Can't wait to see more pics :D

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Very gorgeous, love the design of your ring!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a big beautiful stone!! And I love your design, I think its going to look great =) Can't wait to see the finished ring!

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to hear that your were robbed.

I like the CAD, it looks like the finished ring will have a lovely flow. In particular I like the way the head interacts with the shank. Go for it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a lovely colored stone...I like the setting too. Love the milgrain!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is gorgeous and I love the design! It's going to be superb! Can't wait to see it on your hand!

frettybride

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! It's nice to see support for something non-traditional. It's more of a big-bling cocktail ring style, but I love it.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Wow... that's a lotta ring! Hope you won't miss seeing all 5 fingers! :lol:

As to the robbers... :nono: Wait till karma smacks them upside the head.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome to the color e-ring club! i'm so very sorry that it took the loss of your original e-ring as the result of a burglary to make it happen, though.

i absolutely think that you do want the the milgrain. the ring design is lovely and is going to look great on your finger. i hope you post pictures of it on your finger!

frettybride

Rough_Rock
I hope whoever took my jewelry boxes at least put the contents to good use and needed the money more than I do...I think maybe Karma had it coming for me since I've been so happy and lucky in every aspect of life recently, something bad had to happen to balance things out (and hopefully make life better for someone else). Getting robbed wasn't the worst thing that could happen to me since we have great insurance...

However, I'm a very sentimental pack-rat type and not the type to "upgrade" an e-ring or ever trade-up jewelry (although I'm always happy to get MORE jewelry). Every other day I still get a flash of sadness and look at pictures from my engagement and wedding with my beautiful original ring. :((

Okay, forcing myself back to happy thoughts!!!! One source of inspiration for this ring was the big magical rings that bestow powers in various fantasy games, like Dungeons and Dragons or World of Warcraft (for example http://www.wowwiki.com/Sun_Rock_Ring), or book series like the Wheel of Time. I was thinking of engraving the inside with "+ 10 Charisma" in keeping with this theme, and my husband thought this would be a super nerdy-cute. Any fellow fantasy nerds out there who have a hankering for a ring with magical powers?

Yellow Sapphire Ring Of Healing, here I come!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooooo vanilla ice-cream! :lickout:

Can I make a suggestion? Sorry, this will probably drive you and GemsNY mad!

How will this sit against your wedding ring? The bits just below the head where they bubble out might stop the rings from sitting flush UNLESS they are made a little higher than the shank so your wedding ring slides underneath. Does that make sense?

frettybride

Rough_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1311833545|2978704 said:
Ooooooo vanilla ice-cream! :lickout:

Can I make a suggestion? Sorry, this will probably drive you and GemsNY mad!

How will this sit against your wedding ring? The bits just below the head where they bubble out might stop the rings from sitting flush UNLESS they are made a little higher than the shank so your wedding ring slides underneath. Does that make sense?

I know, I waffled about this a bunch! I wanted something to keep a little space between my band and e-ring so it doesn't look like one giant band, but the trade-off is that the circle thingies will be banged up over time. Maybe this is a bad idea but I will find out soon. If it totally backfires...curved rosegold gemstone inbetween band? Band on RH? I think yesterday they printed the CAD so too late to go back!

frettybride

Rough_Rock
Okay, so last night I got to go and see the finished ring -- they still have to engrave the inside and ship it to me (hopefully will arrive by Friday or Monday), but I couldn't resist posting a preliminary picture! The lighting is kinda awful, but at least you can see how some of the chunky facets reflect light even in the dark :bigsmile:

More pictures to come next week!

2011-08-09 ring picture 1.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like it's a beauty!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It is completely amazing!! Both the stone and the mount are crazy beautiful!! I'm so glad to see a unique ring with presence. Congratulations on creating a one of a kind, terrific ring!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
VERY pretty! Love the color & the milgrain makes it -- just that extra touch of jazz. You made lemonade out of lemons! :appl:

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! - it suits your hand so well, and has a classic and yet playful presence. You have done so well! Enjoy it! :appl:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I like the design, but I would add lil milgrain bezel diamonds inside each curly cue to give it some extra pizazz.

ETA- If you're going with a milgrain bezel, I think it would look good to have it on the shank too.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is lovely though I agree with kelpie about the milgrain (if it's not too late). Can't wait to see some more photos! Congrats on your new ring!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Its stunning, truly.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty. I can't wait to see some closeups, and I love how your nail polish matches.

frettybride

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! Re:milgrain....it's never too late, right (although too late to add more diamonds)?

I may wear the ring a couple months before I do anything crazy! My original e-ring had carvings and milgrain everywhere. At the time, I'm enamored with the current look of the new ring :twirl: Also I'm not sure how milgrain will stand up to gloves coming on and off a million times a day...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results