shape
carat
color
clarity

4C''s ..which is most important?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
As far as the 4C’s are concerned is one more important than another.
Like is Clarity more important than Cut?
Appreciate the help!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
The one thing that most influences the sparkle of a diamond is cut. If you want sparkly, go for the best cut you can get. I personally will sacrifice all the other Cs for that one thing.

shay

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you start reading on here, the one thing you''ll find that most people agree on is the importance of cut. Read the tutorial on here and also on the Good Old Gold site:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Definitely "c" for cute (?).

Actually, good suggestions here!

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Great advice, and I will look at the tips in more depth.

Thanks!

findarock

Shiny_Rock
do you think that there is a certain Combination of the 4C''s that I should strongly look toward vs other.
EX. like clarity and cut, vs color and cut?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2006 9:38:51 PM
Author: findarock
do you think that there is a certain Combination of the 4C''s that I should strongly look toward vs other.
CUT has to be first!! Then it''s up to you. After CUT, what is your most important C???

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/31/2006 9:52:00 PM
Author: Kaleigh

CUT has to be first!! Then it''s up to you. After CUT, what is your most important C???
I agree! I personally like a balance of color and clarity...like G-H color and VS clarity. If I had unlimited money, I''d go for D-F, VVS, though! Others will go for I-J, SI to get more size for the money.

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/31/2006 9:52:00 PM
Author: Kaleigh

for me i think, carat weight, then
20.gif
color, then clarity

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, cut is also the most important. But in terms of yr decision making, you''d have to first decide what is your budget/ size of diamond that you''d most like given your budget. Then work down to colour and clarity, again within your budget.

What we''re trying to say is that you do not sacrifice on cut, but you have to decide what is the most appropriate combination for you (size, colour and clarity) given the amount of money you''re willing to part with (and most people, myself included, find budget goes up
2.gif
from your initial amt, kind of like buying a house). As for the other fators, some people are more happy with a bigger size and would be willing to go down on colour and/ or clarity. Some others would not be happy with anything less than a G, say, and a VS. Unless you''re Donald Trump and money is no object, some thing(s) would have to give.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Ok, Cut goes to the top of the list and I review the the other great links!

Who would of thought that there would be soooo much education in this process?
34.gif

I think what I am having consternation about is how much I am going to spend...Creating the budget?

Till we chat again

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cut quality, performance, is very important. We don''t want to lose sight of many other factors including the other C''s. Each has a role of importance. SOme people need a flawless to VVS stone. They work from that basis. Others want Flawless/VVS and colorless. They need to go from that point. Most of us can work with G/H, SI1, but it does not fit with many other cultural biases that truly exist in the global market.

In South America we find many L,M,N and darker diamonds in wide circulation. Darker skin tones, no special emphasis on colorless diamonds, and bright sunlight make these stones attractive there more so than in the northern hemisphere.

Only a very small percentage of retail consumers care much about anything but price and the genuine nature of the diamond. We are told that about 5% want well cut, better stones. That''s a very small number, but I''d bet it is a rising percentage and not a stagnant one.

In the next ten years diamonds will generally be better cut and we will all come to expect it from even poorer quality stones. Cut won''t always remain a huge price factor as it will become more or less a standard method. However, cut will be better understood and appreciated.

tdiggity

Rough_Rock
Aside from carat...I would go in this order:

Cut
Color
Clarity

From what I have read, Cutdoesn''t affect price as much either but its amazing how much different a good cut is compared to a bad one.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
I am glad that it seems that Cut does not have huge factor on the pricing?
out of the 4''Cs which one costs the most to have?
Ex.like carat vs Cut?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously the carats affects price greatly and so does color. I found H stones to be a good value as they are at the upper end of near colorless but have a nice price drop from a G even in higher clarities. There is a big price increase to get up to the F colorless level. Conversely, there are those who really desire size over other factors and can get it by going to the lower near-colorless range of I and J. G and H are sort of a happy medium, at least for me!

I happen to like good clarity, too. I looked at VS1 and VS2 stones only, but again, your budget is the big factor in how you balance out the 4 C''s. You can get more size if you go down to SI clarity.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Diamond Seeker and all,

I am swayed by what everyone is saying and I think that my choice is Clarity in the pecking order of 4C''s.
I am learning very quickly the factors involve in creating and maximizing my budget.

Cheers!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is number 1 to an extent with colour being a very close second in my book. I also think clarity is important - no visible cracks and carat weight is important to a girl.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
What would you ball park for a ring?

I know it''s what I can afford but I want to have a little guideline?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2006 8:30:16 PM
What would you ball park for a ring?

I know it's what I can afford but I want to have a little guideline?
That is so impossible to say unless you give us some idea of what you're thinking. Do you know what size diamond any of her close friends or sisters have? That would give us an idea of what people around her are wearing.

A one carat ideal cut H VS stone is going to run somewhere around $6000 and a plain gold setting starts at $200 and they go up to the thousands.

Example:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/a-cut-above-h-a-cut-diamond-150437.htm

You can easily go larger or smaller depending on your budget.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you give us your budget, we can go from there...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me cut is the most important.
Size is the least important.

Everyone is different.

You need to see lots of diamonds and find your own comfort zone.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for your thoughts

I am now pushing along and have come up with a final four;
My "Final Four"
1. Jewelry Television
2. Mondera
3. Blue Nile
4. Shenoa Diamonds
Are any of these companies known for better "quality, service, selection, reputation"

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I''d cross Shenoa and JTV off the list. I don''t think either is a reputable source for high quality diamonds.

Of the vendors on your list I''d go with Blue Nile.

Have you considered James Allen, WhiteFlash, GoodOldGold, Nice Ice, or any of these?

Scintillating...

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/9/2006 10:31:40 AM

My ''Final Four''
1. Jewelry Television
2. Mondera
3. Blue Nile
4. Shenoa Diamonds
I would actually love to hear how Jewelry Television made your list.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2006 10:31:40 AM

My ''Final Four''
1. Jewelry Television
2. Mondera
3. Blue Nile
4. Shenoa Diamonds
Are any of these companies known for better ''quality, service, selection, reputation''
I''m sorry, but I don''t feel that selection would best serve you. Blue Nile would be my only consideration, and that''s stretching it. I say that only because they don''t offer the info I want when shopping.

I have bought from the two companies below. In my opinion, the first offers more info than anyone, hands down.
The second offers their own A Cut Above Brand, which you literally can''t go wrong with. You could pick one blind folded and end up with a stunning stone. Honestly, I would consider these over yours...They are both great to work with.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/

http://www.whiteflash.com/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results