shape
carat
color
clarity

47th street- March 24 2020

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its deserted because some of them are coming to Florida. (why I don't know, its just getting bad here and most of the beaches are closed anyway)

Stay safe there.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There were a group of NYC Police officers standing around. They were there to discourage any groups of people from forming.
The sense of irony is strong with this post :D lol

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the pictures - that’s just mind blowing...I bet the relative quiet is eerie.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its deserted because some of them are coming to Florida. (why I don't know, its just getting bad here and most of the beaches are closed anyway)

Stay safe there.

My guess is because it is less widespread by you than it is in NYC which is the epicenter of this pandemic.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There were a group of NYC Police officers standing around. They were there to discourage any groups of people from forming. But there were none.Normally there’s people milling about in groups all up and down the block

So I did not take a photo as I did not want to be disrespectful of police officers who are facing a tough challenge now perhaps tougher than ever before and I am grateful to them. But the other day there were 4 police officers around the outside of the subway station all very close to each other leaning on the outside stair rail and just chatting. I looked at my dh and said not setting a good example. But of course I didn't go over to them and ask them to distance themselves. LOL I am not crazy. And I do appreciate them very much. Just wish they were social distancing from each other as best they could vs being so close to each other. There was plenty of space they could have distanced themselves no problem and still would have been able to talk with each other.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The meters are technically in effect..... but I’m not seeing “meter maids”. I don’t believe a lot of tickets are being issued now. Even then, you could plead not guilty and it would probably stand

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m able to safely get to my office - so I go in once or twice a week. Yesterday a guy was standing on the deserted sidewalk and actually asked “you buying? You selling?”
Felt so nostalgic

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m able to safely get to my office - so I go in once or twice a week. Yesterday a guy was standing on the deserted sidewalk and actually asked “you buying? You selling?”
Felt so nostalgic

LOL

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Felt so nostalgic

America... land of the businessman, even in troubled times... lol

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi All!
Wow, today ( I'l;l get a pic later) 47th street is packed.
We can only hope that CV is on the wane.....

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All!
Wow, today ( I'l;l get a pic later) 47th street is packed.
We can only hope that CV is on the wane.....

I'm shocked! If nothing is open, what on Earth are people doing?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've noticed the stores- streel level places- are not open...yet.
But instead of darkened interiors- now we see folks inside doing.....things....

Upstairs places are absolutely opening up a lot more at this point.....

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been driving DD to and from the city during the pandemic. Until this weekend, the roads were deserted as people stayed home. Last couple of trips in, there was a marked increase in the number of vehicles on the roads. We even got stuck in traffic for the first time in a few months this past weekend.
A pizzeria near DD's apt had tables outside for dining on the sidewalk. I was surprised as I didn't think that was allowed yet.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond, Don't throw any diamonds out your window now b/c somebody will pick it up!... :lol:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Rockdiamond, Don't throw any diamonds out your window now b/c somebody will pick it up!... :lol:

Did I ever tell you about the guys who go up and down 47th street with small brooms and tools to get inside the cracks on the sidewalks on the block? I kid you not- they find little diamonds and gold shavings.
I mean, they must, because they've been doing it for years ( till recently of course)

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Need a better pic of that! Things are opening up in Brooklyn as well. Stores and restaurants are slowly opening for takeouts. Street vendors are out peddling all sorts of masks, Clorox products and hand sanitizers.

I feel like no one in nyc looks down. I have poop phobia so I always do and have found multiple $20 bills, $2 bills and one time, a single diamond stud earring! Your "diamond" may be safe for now!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Everyone!!

SO- the scene here at 47th is getting back to "normal"- but there's a lot of plywood....
I have seen videos purporting to show that NYC was looted out the kazoo- Fifth Avenue, etc.
The real story is that there was limited looting- a few places in Midtown, and sadly, super sadly, more places in low-income neighborhoods.
BUT- the vast majority of plywood is covering INTACT windows beneath.
Remember that most of these stores had already been closed for months.....
SO_ in a positive note- as things quiet down, and the plywood comes down, much of what we love and remember will be there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results