shape
carat
color
clarity

478-carat diamond lights up Dubai conference

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondGirlHH

Shiny_Rock
A nearly 500-carat rough diamond recovered from a mine in Africa earlier this year made its public debut—and received its official name—during a press conference on Saturday in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

The stone, a massive 478-carat rock from the Letseng Mine in the African kingdom of Lesotho, is now known as "Leseli la Letseng," which means, "she is the light of Letseng."

During the press conference, Tusetso Sello-Mafatle, the government-appointed director of Letseng Diamonds (Pty) Ltd., a 30-70 percent partnership between the government of Lesotho and Gem Diamonds, said the diamond is a symbol of Lesotho''s economic potential, and she hopes it will go a long way in promoting the country.

"She marks the power, the flawlessness of the diamonds from Letseng," Sello-Mafatle said of the stone.

When polished, Leseli la Letseng has the potential to produce a round diamond of about 150 carats, making it the largest polished round diamond in the world, dwarfing the current largest, which weighs in at about 100 carats, according to Clifford Elphick, chairman of Letseng Diamonds.

The stone is the 20th largest rough diamond ever recovered and is flawless, Elphick said, as far as they can tell at this point.

He said choosing to unveil the stone in Dubai was an easy decision for the company, given the high concentration of wealth in this region of the world and Dubai''s growing presence in the diamond industry.

"Why Dubai?" Elphick said. "I think it speaks for itself. It''s quite obvious."

Just last month, a buyer from Dubai, Amer Radwan of Radwan Diamond and Jewelry Trading, shelled out $4.11 million for the 102.11-carat and 70.87-carat Ponahalo Diamonds at a Christie''s auction held in New York City.

Saturday''s press conference was held at Dubai''s super-posh Atlantis Hotel, in luxe meeting space surrounded on one side by the hotel''s giant aquarium, a fitting backdrop for the unveiling of such a stone.

Following the press conference, potential buyers viewed the stone in Dubai.

The diamond unveiling was part of the inaugural Middle East-China Diamond and Jewellery Summit, hosted by the Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC), Nov. 8 and 9.

The conference brought together leaders from China and the Middle East, touted as the "new titans of the jewelry world" on conference materials, to discuss how these two growing regions of the world can better work together in the future.

Highlights of the conference included:
—Diamond Trading Co. Managing Director Varda Shine discussed the new advertising campaign being rolled out over the holiday season in the United States, which plays on consumers'' desire for "fewer, better things."

—Peter Meeus, executive director of diamonds for the DMCC, announced that the DMCC''s one-year-old International Diamond Laboratories (IDL) is expanding, opening up new branches in Florence, Italy, and in Saudi Arabia.

—The DMCC conducted tours of its new Almas Tower, a vertical version of Antwerp, Belgium''s diamond district that just welcomed its first tenants. It''s expected to house more than 350 diamond companies within the next few months. The Almas Tower is part of the DMCC''s massive 79-tower Jumeirah Lake Towers development.

—Longtime industry figure Chaim Even-Zohar, giving a lecture on "How to Cope with Phenomenal Growth," predicted "headaches" for the coming year in the diamond industry and said those wanting to tap into the growth in the industry need to look into higher-quality stones of one carat or more.

"Here''s where the value is," he said. "Here''s where the future growth is."

http://www.nationaljewelernetwork.com/njn/content_display/diamonds/e3ie4d7c4b405f7c5fc22695265c2035f75

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So PS''ers can get a sense of the size....
6.gif

Here is Chaim Even-Zohar holding the 478 carat rough Diamond in his hand...

Chaim..., You lucky guy!!!

ChaimEven.jpg

DiamondGirlHH

Shiny_Rock
That''s a huge rock!!

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Pardon me for being ignorant, but it doesn''t sparkle at all and looks more like quartz because of its opacity. Did they cut it just to reveal that it''s a diamond and nothing more? Obviously they weren''t going for ''beauty,'' right? Or, am I just showing off my lack of knowledge? (And yes, despite what it looks like, it''s impressive to know that it is indeed a diamond and it is that large, but other than that, it could just be any other rock!?!?!!
5.gif
)

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ummm. it''s a rough diamond, it hasn''t been cut yet...

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 2:07:56 PM
Author: newsboysgrl777
Pardon me for being ignorant, but it doesn''t sparkle at all and looks more like quartz because of its opacity. Did they cut it just to reveal that it''s a diamond and nothing more? Obviously they weren''t going for ''beauty,'' right? Or, am I just showing off my lack of knowledge? (And yes, despite what it looks like, it''s impressive to know that it is indeed a diamond and it is that large, but other than that, it could just be any other rock!?!?!!
5.gif
)

That''s how ALL diamonds look when they are first found newboys! That''s when they call it a rough diamond. Then they cut them, and it''s a combination of the cut plus the refractive index of such dense pure carbon that turns it into the beautiful sparkly wonder that makes us go googly eyed
30.gif
Not so pretty at the start tho huh!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/11/2008 4:32:24 PM
Author: Porridge

Date: 11/11/2008 2:07:56 PM
5.gif
)

That''s how ALL diamonds look when they are first found newboys! That''s when they call it a rough diamond. Then they cut them, and it''s a combination of the cut plus the refractive index of such dense pure carbon that turns it into the beautiful sparkly wonder that makes us go googly eyed
30.gif
Not so pretty at the start tho huh!
Not exactly..., there are so many types of rough material and structures for Diamonds..., this one for example is a pretty clear specimen...

Pretty is a matter of taste..., I think its beautiful in this state...
2.gif

BTW..., I hear the sounds and estimates of potentially cutting a 150 ct. RB out of this rough..., in my opinion...., if thats the direction, I would leave it in its rough state...
11.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think it will be cut for weight retention or optimum visual performance?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/11/2008 5:02:14 PM
Author: Moh 10
Do you think it will be cut for weight retention or optimum visual performance?
If cut to RB..., it will be cut to beat the RB size record!!

Pity
7.gif

I hope Clifford Elphick is more creative...
20.gif

DiamondGirlHH

Shiny_Rock
I bet it''s going to cost a fortune no matter how they cut it. That large of a diamond being flawless is a rare occasion.

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
4.gif
Wait, wait, wait...I'm laughing here..LOL. I REALIZE that diamonds- when they come out of the ground- don't sparkle and shine and are little more than 'rocks' (simply put)...BUT, for some reason, I thought I read that it was larger when found and then they cut it and the photo they were showing was of it after being CUT?!! Is that not the case? Is that the diamond at the time of the finding? Or, did I misread and it hasn't been cut yet? THAT was why I was so confused about it...because I thought they claimed they had ALREADY cut it...and the end result looked like THAT?!! (like a piece of rough..which, I guess it is...LOL) You know what I'm saying?? Let me go back to the article and read it and see where I got my crazy idea from..LOL.
17.gif

1.gif
Rachel

PS Thanks for your patience with me, though...cause that really would have been a little silly of me to think that's what diamonds do - come out of the ground already cut and shiny and sparkly. LOL

Edit: OK. I guess all I can say is, I must've assumed it was already cut because in the beginning of the article it says "a nearly 500-carat rough diamond" and then later it says "the stone, a massive 478-carat rock" (but obviously "nearly 500 ct" and "478 ct" referred to the same thing. DUH, Rachel
37.gif
) and I remembered thinking that not much was taken away from it. Then when I did the math, I was like, 'well, they cut away 22 carats...and that's a huge amount' it just doesn't SOUND LIKE IT because of how large the stone is. However, now that I am actually reading with my EYES OPEN (lol) I see they said that it has a potential of yielding a 150 carat diamond after cutting and polishing.

Can I be dumb again and ask why they would have to take SO MUCH away from it in the cutting? How much rough is (usually) needed to produce, say, a 1ct diamond (as the end product)? (I know that inclusions can have something to do with it, right?) Or, maybe I should go do some educating of myself in the PS 'Knowledge' section.
34.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/12/2008 2:54:22 AM
4.gif
Wait, wait, wait...I''m laughing here..LOL. I REALIZE that diamonds- when they come out of the ground- don''t sparkle and shine and are little more than ''rocks'' (simply put)...BUT, for some reason, I thought I read that it was larger when found and then they cut it and the photo they were showing was of it after being CUT?!! Is that not the case? Is that the diamond at the time of the finding? Or, did I misread and it hasn''t been cut yet? THAT was why I was so confused about it...because I thought they claimed they had ALREADY cut it...and the end result looked like THAT?!! (like a piece of rough..which, I guess it is...LOL) You know what I''m saying?? Let me go back to the article and read it and see where I got my crazy idea from..LOL.
17.gif

1.gif
Rachel

PS Thanks for your patience with me, though...cause that really would have been a little silly of me to think that''s what diamonds do - come out of the ground already cut and shiny and sparkly. LOL

Edit: OK. I guess all I can say is, I must''ve assumed it was already cut because in the beginning of the article it says ''a nearly 500-carat rough diamond'' and then later it says ''the stone, a massive 478-carat rock'' (but obviously ''nearly 500 ct'' and ''478 ct'' referred to the same thing. DUH, Rachel
37.gif
) and I remembered thinking that not much was taken away from it. Then when I did the math, I was like, ''well, they cut away 22 carats...and that''s a huge amount'' it just doesn''t SOUND LIKE IT because of how large the stone is. However, now that I am actually reading with my EYES OPEN (lol) I see they said that it has a potential of yielding a 150 carat diamond after cutting and polishing.

Can I be dumb again and ask why they would have to take SO MUCH away from it in the cutting? How much rough is (usually) needed to produce, say, a 1ct diamond (as the end product)? (I know that inclusions can have something to do with it, right?) Or, maybe I should go do some educating of myself in the PS ''Knowledge'' section.
34.gif
Well cut rounds will typically yeild about 40-45% from the best shaped crystals - but that will be sawn and 2 diamonds.
You may get a 1ct round from a 3ct rough diamond, and a smaller 1/3rd ct

MMT

Ideal_Rock
It''s going to take a pretty big hand to be able to wear that on a ring.
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I have big hands
9.gif

DiamondGirlHH

Shiny_Rock
I''ll find a place to wear it...maybe a nice tiara..
31.gif

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 2:15:03 PM
Author: DiamondGirlHH
I'll find a place to wear it...maybe a nice tiara..
31.gif
LOL!!! Yes!! My friend and I keep joking whenever we go to a bridal shop and look at tiaras and veils that we want to wear tiaras EVERY DAY EVERYWHERE no matter WHAT we're wearing. LOL!! Now THAT would be great! REAL diamonds in a tiara?
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results