shape
carat
color
clarity

.42 champagne diamond

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
vendor's picture of my latest purchase. doesn't show the "sparkle" and shows more orange and brown than in real life. more than satisfied with the stone and plan to set it probably in mokume gane for my hubby. and he likes it!

MoZo

.42 Argyle Champagne Diamond.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty MZ.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!!! I love champagne diamonds, and this one looks to have a nice personality. Who are you going to work with for the mokume?

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous MoZo! A nice champagne diamond is still on my wish list! :love:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful and I think mokume will compliment it perfectly. :appl:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty, MZ!! I love these types of diamonds...sort of a champagny, orangy, pinkish. It looks like the colored diamond bug has bit you as well! :naughty:

I can't wait to see it set! I'd love to see some real-life pics.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very well cut with a sweet colour; it’s going to look awesome in a Mokume setting. I fail to see how anyone wouldn’t love it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you, everyone!

i've always loved the champagnes....and considered one for my e-ring before i saw my spess.....

however, it is kenny and his search for color diamonds and then more color diamonds that got me serious about it.

i think hubby is surprised and pleased.

re the mokume gane setting: not sure yet. we had talked with george sawyer re setting my spess years ago. i believe there is also someone in the east SF bay area that does mokume gane. however, some do it better than others...... but i don't think "we" are in a hurry so i have time to research it. and as always i'm open to suggestions if you've worked with anyone in particular or like the work of someone particular.

MoZo

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
that is one stunning stone!!

I also crave for a champagne in this level

for ages I held a Swarovski chart on hand trying to find a diamond that matches to the "silk" hue on their crystal chart - which is slightly less saturated than the hue I see in your photo here - I drove my poor diamond seller nutty!!

can't wait to see it set in the mokume!!

:appl: :appl: :appl:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks beautiful. Nice cut. I never hunted for diamonds so I am waiting for the picture of your finished piece to decide whether it is time to start hunting for one or swim in the colored sea for a while.

Mmm... Champagne diamonds for husbands... How would you call it? Moet champagne splits?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond is lovely!

I don't know much about mokume bands at all. I think they look very cool (they look like wood grain for metal) Would love to see the finished project! :appl:

-A

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I bet that thing sparkles like the dickens! My favorite diamond question.... Any fluor? I thought about Mokume gane for my ring too, it's very interesting. Another interesting metal choice is damascus steel.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
re flour: medium blue

held it up against my 18k 2mm wedding band and i almost regret that i got it for hubby......and not me! maybe he'll give it back?!

will checkout links, brandy.

MoZo

eta: oh, this would work for ME!!!! [from Binnion's website]

ASpHBz000-7.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi MZ,

So unique and beautiful, as usual. I never heard of Mokome, but its striking. I'm so glad hubby likes it.

Annette

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous diamond, mozo! Love the color and I bet it really sparkles.

DH got a George Sawyer Mokume ring this summer on sale this summer, since our long-time jeweler closed his store. From looking at George's website, I realize that he works with a number of colored metals, and could make something quite stunning for a colored diamond. DH's ring is trimmed and lined with a stunning shade of red gold. The Mokume is gorgeous and we both love this piece. Here is a photo along with a red/brown rose gold diamond ring I purchased at the same time.

SVRings9819.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo, yummy color! I think it'll be stunning in mokume!

Our wedding bands are mokume, and we love them! I would set more colored gems in mokume except that the pattern doesn't show well on anything under 3mm and I tend to prefer delicate rings. That, and it's a bit on the pricey side since there are fairly few metalsmiths who do this.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie said:
re flour: medium blue

held it up against my 18k 2mm wedding band and i almost regret that i got it for hubby......and not me! maybe he'll give it back?!

will checkout links, brandy.

MoZo

eta: oh, this would work for ME!!!! [from Binnion's website]

Oh wow! Your champagne diamond would look smashing in that setting!! :lickout: I really love the idea of mokume for it, I think it would fit perfectly with the combo and blending of the metal colors. Seems to have a little of all of the metal colors going on in that diamond. :appl:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Is this still committed to hubby? Or have you decided it really needs to be a girl's diamond? :naughty:

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh My Goodness - lovely. Does it have fluorescence? I believe the Argyle's often do, correct?

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Lovely diamond!!! Can't wait to see it set.

As for a fantastic Mokume craftsman, I highly recommend Chris Ploof. My husband has one of his wedding bands, and I've seen a lot of his work over the years...it's always exceptional.

http://www.chrisploof.com/

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
re flour: medium blue.

well, i showed him the picture and he thought it was lovely......but did NOT offer to re-gift the diamond to me. i did buy it for him and i think he thinks it will look great in a mokume gane band for him.....which it would.

maybe i need to keep an eye out for one for me?! :naughty: yes, i definitely need to keep my eyes open for one for me! :appl:

the idea was always that we'd both end up with a mokume wedding band eventually rather than our tiny 18k wedding bands......but i think a champagne [especially this one] would make a stunning solitaire.

love the sawyer that was purchased on sale! i like the warmth of the gold used.....and the idea that it was purchased on sale, well, that makes it even better!

MoZo

eta: perhaps a tension set for him....saw one at the chris ploof website provided above that gave me that idea. if done right i don't think it would be girly.....but he has large fingers so we'll have to see.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie said:
love the sawyer that was purchased on sale! i like the warmth of the gold used.....and the idea that it was purchased on sale, well, that makes it even better!
Yes, it was 50% off. :bigsmile: The price still makes you pause, but these opportunities don't come along that often so we went for it. Obviously you have priced mokume, which is probably why you haven't purchased your w-band upgrades yet. :twirl:

I'm looking forward to this project of yours. BTW, DH also has a brown diamond ring, with a stone about the size of yours. It was his 17th anniversary present from me. I think brown-toned diamonds look really great in a man's ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tension set = girly? NO WAY! Just look at Kenny's ring as an example; it is tasteful, classic and elegant. Not girly at all.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Flygirl, would love to see a picture of the ring you gave your hubby.

Chrono, well, there you have it: i was thinking it would be a shame to bezel it. however, my hubby will have final say.....

MoZo

ps yes, those sawyer mokume bands are pricey.....but then it will be our seven year anniversary in december so we've got another 3 years to think about it.....unless i see a matched set that fits our fingers and is on sale!

MoZo

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie said:
Flygirl, would love to see a picture of the ring you gave your hubby.

yes, those sawyer mokume bands are pricey.....but then it will be our seven year anniversary in december so we've got another 3 years to think about it.....unless i see a matched set that fits our fingers and is on sale!

MoZo
These are DH's rings on my hand. The one on the left is a brown diamond in the 30-40 point range set in 14k yellow gold with 6 Lazare Kaplan white diamond sidestones. He has had it for almost 20 years now. The one on the right is a 2 ct uncut brown diamond crystal tension set in Damascus steel and platinum. Thus, DH has the largest diamond in the family, so I figure I'm in line to get a big one some day. :naughty:

DH is a math geek and considers prime number anniversaries as more special than quinquennial anniversaries. Hence, the gift for our 17th. So, your 7th anniversary would be a great time to upgrade. :bigsmile:

DHsRings.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think tensions set is girly at all!

I actually think tension set rings are a bit masculine if anything since a true tension setting usually requires the band be as thick as the diamond. So for a 1 ct stone, that's a 6+mm band which is fairly thick.

Here are my mokume wedding bands. Mine is 3mm and I think the pattern still shows up well. My husband's on the other hand is 6.5-7mm (I don't remember which) and I think the pattern on his is even better. I bought them about 2 years ago back when metal prices weren't as crazy as some of the jewelers were just starting. I don't think I could afford the set today!

Sorry the for messy collage, it's the fastest pic I have on hand!

13000846_475.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for the photos! the more i see the more that mokume is the right decision for this particular champagne. and i agree that the tension set works, especially at the 6mm width.

i can only hope another argyle champagne shows up so i can do the ring for me!

MoZo

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
I was under the impression that tension settings and mokume gane are not compatible. Now, I'm hungry to see more of it! :cheeky:

I can't wait to see your little beauty ensconced without prongs :love:

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Drooling and trying not to short out the laptop. I love the uncut diamond !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results