shape
carat
color
clarity

40th birthday present for myself

solitairegirl

Rough_Rock
Well happy birthday to YOU! How fun... so I generally prefer necklaces over bracelets (as I'm always afraid of repeated wrist wear that will knock a stone loose). So, first, I vote necklace. Second, I really like the idea of including the birthstones of your kiddies. I think a ruby would look fantastic with a non-red garnet variety, such as tsavorite. But you could really go with just about any color of garnet. Good luck!!

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
I also am a necklace person.
I like the ruby + tsavorite garnet idea. What about this one with 3 stations (1 big + 2 small) and including your sapphire as the large one + kids birthstones as the smaller ones. Red, blue, green is a classic combo.

ETA: I see they only offer the red garnet, so a red blue red set would probably be fine since the two Reds would be on opposite sides. If they can't offer an alternative garnet colour, then I'd go with the single sapphire rather than the two Reds side by side.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Big 40 in advance!

Difficult to decide what would suit you the best; however, I would advise choosing your piece based on the following:

- cost per wear as in get something that you are likely to wear often to bring down the cost per wear ratio;
- what is missing in your jewellery collection, e.g. if you have lots of rings, you may not wish to have another ring;
- significance - by all means incorporate design elements that are meaningful to you; however, how often would you wear the piece?

An example from my own perspective is my latest significant purchase that I am considering. It is an earth-mined OEC about 1ct in size to be set and worn as a right hand ring, to add to my collection of 2 RHRs and I don't have an OEC in my collection (the two existing RHRs are ECs), as a present to myself to remind me of a job well done. I wear a RHR every day, so it will get a lot of wear.

Good luck with your choice!

DK :))

solitairegirl

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everyone!! I tend to buy necklaces and then not wear them much at all, since I feel as though they often don't flatter my face (?). So, given that, I think a bracelet might be a better bet, especially since I don't have many.
I love the idea of a bracelet with just a garnet and a ruby, but do you think they clash too much to coexist alone in a single bracelet (as emmy suggested)? The bracelet design has them sitting not *right* next to each other -- there's a bit of chain separating them.
Alternatively, I could try a one-sapphire bracelet?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bypass or open cuff bangle with a Garnet and a Ruby at each end?

DK :))

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to vote bracelet because I personally favor jewelry I can admire while I'm wearing. The issue i see about ordering the above bracelet is it looks like they will choose just any pyrope garnet and just any ruby (glass filled?). If I were you I would do your birthstone for your big birthday and plan another similar with your children's stones to stack it with. Maybe a Mother's day present?

In actuality I would buy a beautiful single sapphire of my choice, buy a self chosen garnet and ruby and have them made myself. David Klass made my fcd that I already owned "diamond by the yard" bracelet for me a few years ago for Mother's day celebrating my 5 kids.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results