carat
color
clarity

40th birthday & Pallasite

CMW

Rough_Rock
First time poster - long time lurker.

Next August 23rd is my daughter's 40th Birthday, so birth stone = Peridot

I had the idea for a pendant for her and was thinking (obviously) Peridot and (obviously) diamonds.

Then I discovered Pallasite! OUTERSPACE Peridot!!! She would freak (in a good way) :lol: She can be a wee bit 'space-y' at times :lol-2:

So now I'm thinking: main stone = a Pallasite slice, surrounded by terrestrial peridot, black diamonds and regular diamonds.

Obviously I would need to work with my jeweller to make it come alive, and I was thinking about giving him the brief to find the best Pallasite slice I can afford and then involving my daughter in the final design pulling it all together.

What do you all think? Too crazy? Not nice?

#FeedbackPlease
#DontHoldBack
#BeBrutal

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am partial to rare stones with unique properties and history so think it sounds like a very cool project. Are you are planning to use pallasitic peridot as opposed to ordinary pallasite?

Is the coloring/look of the stone in line with her tastes? I considered a pallastitic peridot for my mom but realized it didn't suit her.

Not sure if you are aware but spinel is also a birthstone for August which can be a nice surprise for August babies who don't realize there are options outside of peridot.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I would check if your daughter is a fan of peridot, as it is also my birth stone but I don’t care for it (have tried all my life with peridot jewelry but just can’t love it). My 40th birthday project for myself was a red spinel diamond halo ring, and I was thrilled with that.

All that said, Pallasite looks really cool and it sounds like you know it’s right up her alley. I think it is so wonderful of you to have this idea of making a custom pendant for your daughter and would involve her in the project right from the start. And maybe do ask her what her dream jewelry looks like. She might love space but prefer a different stone. Or maybe she would rather have a bracelet than a pendant.

CMW

Rough_Rock
She is definitely a fan of Peridot. She has mentioned many times that she would like some really good peridot jewellery - that was what prompted my initial idea of peridot and diamonds.

and yes, @lilmosun, pallasitic peridot not ordinary pallasite.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea what your budget for this project might be, but Brad Payne (The Gem Trader) added a gem quality pallasite peridot to his inventory this summer; at 1.02 ct, it's the largest one he's ever offered:
(I'll add that, in my experience, what I've purchased from Brad looks better in real life than it did in his pics.)

I've only seen a few slices of this kind of meteorite; they were collector specimens, much larger than pendant size, and none of those few would look great with mined peridot imo. But here's the index page to the pallasite meteorites offered by a vendor who seemingly specializes in meteorites, so you can see the variety and prices. Looks like he offers at least some smaller slices (which have been "stabilized" in what looks to be resin; think that's to keep the iron from rusting further):

Last edited:

CMW

Rough_Rock
@MollyMalone Wow, thank you for that link. I didn't even know that gem grade individual pallasitic peridot stones were possible. I though slices were my only option.
You have just opened a whole new world for me :appl:

Sadly the link you posted says it is "sold out" (dammit), but maybe they can source more.

I have 11 months to play with , so can afford to be patient and now look for both options.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, geez, I'm sorry -- I had the page bookmarked because I too have an August birthday & the "sold out" didn't catch my eye before I posted the link here. But yes, do reach out to Brad.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock

Attachments

• 210280273_121679733484237_6681018633154866781_n.jpg
    210280273_121679733484237_6681018633154866781_n.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

CMW

Rough_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results