shape
carat
color
clarity

$40,000 For This? I Just Don’t Get It.

H

Horsegirl76

I don’t know why my post disappearedbut anyway, a few of the diamonds we saw in the exhibit looked just like the OP’s picture. My mother and I both commented that it was funny they cut some diamonds to look like like glass.

After reading @mathews1127 article it is more understandable. The clarity IS impressive.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
A 40,000 "window". Interesting to see, but would not be a choice for me.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe static photos lead one to believe these cuts are lifeless.
Quite the contrary.
“FLASHY“ is more the term, rather than “sparkly”. These are specially designed versions of step cut diamonds, intended to “frame” a portrait, or photo.
I’d wear one completely void of a photo....just to see the intense flash fly off the stone!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:knockout::knockout::knockout: What a waste of $$$.

I see the appeal in some of these videos! They’re beautiful in a different way. But I wouldn’t pay $40k for them - maybe 1/3rd-1/4th that at most for the 3ct in the original post and frankly even that would be a hard sell with a burgeoning wishlist that will absolutely take precedence. I would only buy this if I had a lot of money to burn and an absolutely enviable collection of “too many diamonds” otherwise.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This one isn’t a portrait cut. It’s a very shallow “old cut hybrid” with a culet. I almost purchased one like this before, it was antique. But the cut was so usual (mine had a puffy crown and a very shallow pavilion, I chickened out (I wasn’t sure I’d be able to re-sell easily if I did decide to re-sell). The flashes of colored light on that one was stunning. And I was certain it was antique (bruted girdle, etc,). I regret returning that diamond to this day! In contrast I don’t think a true portrait cut would have so much life as this example.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The first large diamond I have handled was a window - formerly used in an accelerator or some such, extremely perfect - flawless, colourless to begin with, polished to absurd standards, obviously not a shard of anything common & there is no way I will ever NOT want one.

Other stones in slab form? Yes. I do not quite have a story for why & how. At least there be precedent - www

Last edited:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The first large diamond I have handled was a window - formerly used in an accelerator or some such, extremely perfect - flawless, colourless to begin with, polished to absurd standards, obviously not a shard of anything common & there is no way I will ever NOT want one.

Other stones in slab form? Yes. I do not quite have a story for why & how. At least there be precedent - www

The concept of a “historically cut” slab (or plate like, or geometric) gem is something I didn’t know existed until your post. How extraordinary! I’m an instant convert.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
a “historically cut” slab (or plate like, or geometric) gem is something I didn’t know existed

I have heard of a revival of the point cut www called the 'Context' cut - not near natural octahedrons, but polished at different angles for optical properties - I am not sure they are still made, the prices were terrifying, so is the so called yield, since the desired planes are - very - far from any esulting from natural growth (rant).

I suspect the simple historical cuts are still everywhere - in the earlier stages of cutting modern models, but, I am not sure if this statement is quite right - eg. a 'table cut' as a stage toward a French (or something else).

ramble

I like these very simple cuts & small they are also impressive because of the larger facets flickering broadly - or so I see them.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
a “historically cut” slab (or plate like, or geometric) gem is something I didn’t know existed

I have heard of a revival of the point cut (www , www ) called the 'Context' cut - not near natural octahedrons, but polished at different angles very far from the facets of natural octahedra (yield ,( & prices!) toward some optical properties or others, I am not sure this cut is still made.

I suspect the simple historical cuts are still everywhere - in the earlier stages of cutting modern models, but, I am not sure if this statement is quite right, e.g. would this www be a 'table cut' by & large (not the historical proportions of octahedrons with their tips taken off, just the layout of facets.)

ramble

I like these very simple cuts & find them more impressive in small sizes, because the large facets flicker broadly; large, are so rare, I am not thinking through their details anymore; the window I mentioned is the exception.

naroo_11

Shiny_Rock
I have seen a couple portrait stones used in a way that I would gladly wear them. I would not spend that amount on one though, and this one is quite large so the price is understandable.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure you ask for the IS image.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Last edited:

naroo_11

Shiny_Rock
Looks like a rose cut to me. It doesnt have a high dome so there is a window.

DiaLuv

Shiny_Rock
40 grand is a lot for that diamond

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results