shape
carat
color
clarity

4 symmetric extra facets

nappes

Rough_Rock
Hi

I was reading that extra facets were often put in to improve a diamond's clarity by removing a bad inclusion. In the case of this diamond that seems odd to me
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104077150002-PLDQR.PDF

It Has 4 extra facets, but they seem so symmetrically placed that it seems unlikely to me that there happened to be 4 inclusions perfectly on the pavilion side that would need to be removed

Are there other explanations for these extra facets?

ben

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I expect one was to remove an imperfection the others to add symmetry

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is very possible that there were four naturals at those locations and the cutter decided to remove the naturals with the extra facets.

(A natural is a piece of the original "skin" of the diamond crystal that is left on the polished diamond rather than taking the diameter down and thus reducing the finished weight.)

Wink

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy a MRB stone with extra facets. That just me.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Creative cutter I must say.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are the extra facets? Also shouldn't posters obscure the identification/report number before posting on the web to avoid fraudulent duplication?

nappes

Rough_Rock
You have to zoom in on the AGS report but then you can see them on the pavillion side on the edge 90 degrees apart

I'm not sure its much extra risk for me to post the AGS etc number, there are already 10s of thousands of diamond report numbers and specs on the web. "Anyone" can already find a report # from a good performing diamond and engrave it on a less performant diamond. Thats why you should get it appraised after purchase I suppose, or buy from a vendor who you trust to have done that check for you

B

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results