shape
carat
color
clarity

4 prongs make round diamonds look square?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mari

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,
after lurching around for a while I''ve decided to join the fun.
appl.gif

I saw a 80 point round stone set in a 4 prong basket setting on Sunday in a shop window (so I can''t post a picture).What surprised me was how square the stone looked.

This was a very pleasant surprise to me for the following reasons.

I love the square shape, but I ''m not fond of radiants and princesses as they are to "chaotic" inside. I love symmetry and order, so a truly well cut round would be great. At the same time emerald cuts, flanders and assher cuts are not as sparkly. I love them for their understatedness, but I''d like a sparkler first.

I have considered the regent cut (which in a sense this stone looked like I thought they''d look like in real life), but they seem to be selling at a premium above even H&A rounds, and I really did like the way this ring looked squarish.

However when I look at websites such as goodoldgold (which has some beautiful rounds set in 4 prongs on its website.) they look very round with prongs.
I thought that there might be 3 explanations for this

1. The stone I saw wasn''t a modern round brilliant (though it certainly wasn''t a cushion cut, or a square)
2. The pictures on Goodoldgold of the stones are much larger than the real life size of an 80 point diamond
3. The prongs were different and/or the stones pictured were larger.

I don''t want to buy the one in the shop as it had no certification (they couldn''t even give me an exact colour or clarity ) and
it was hugely expensive, I can find certified hearts and arrows in F VS2 or above for less dollars than this ring cost in pounds (at an exchange rate of 1.6, and a simple basket setting) I''d prefer to save my money.

I''d be grateful for opinions, and if anyone has pictures of round stones in 4 prong settings that would be great.

Mari

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
G’Day Mari
I think you will find it’s just the shape and positioning of the prongs that is different in the GOG ring. It’s not difficult to give a square look with 4 prongs and they do look spectacular with a well-cut diamond. Why not have a chat with the lads at GOG, I bet they could create a masterpiece for you.

Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd. (Australia)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results