shape
carat
color
clarity

4-prong vs. 6-prong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aaron709

Rough_Rock
I am looking to buy a round cut diamond for an engagement ring. I was wondering how big of a deal the number of prongs is. My concern is that with a 4-prong, if one breaks it seems the diamond would be lost rather easily. 6-prongs would provide support even if one prong were to break.

Also I am very interested in the Vatache X-prong setting design. From what I see though, the smallest diamond for this setting is .5 carat. Is there way to get a setting for a smaller diamond? (~.3 carat?)

Thank you for your help, I am very excited to get the perfect ring for my girlfriend.

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
As far as the setting, the setting designed for 0.5 carat stone might be able to accomodate a 0.3 carat stone. That's something you should be able to find out by calling d'vatche or asking a d'vatche dealer.

The benefit of four prongs vs six is that it shows off more of the side (and top somewhat) of the diamond, but the downside is it's usually not as secure as six prongs. If you lose or bend one prong, the diamond could fall out, whereas you could definitely lose one prong without a problem and as much as three (if it was every other one) in a six prong, and not worry about the diamond falling out. It's not as big a deal in a platinum four prong ring, since platinum is stronger than 14k gold. One final difference is that four prongs tend to make a round stone appear a little more square, whereas six prongs brings out the round shape a little more. Both four and six prong settings look good in my opinion, and it might just be a personal preference kind of thing. The X-prong setting appears to have thicker prongs, so that might help improve the security of the diamond.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Vatche will custom make their rings for you to fit your stones, it may take a little longer. I have had them modify rings for me to fit my client's stones and we have never had a problem with this.

I prefer six prongs to four, but with platinum this will be less of a problem than with gold. With the x prong design this is not an option however. Make sure that you have your ring appraised and insured and you should be fine. Then have the ring checked regularly.

Wink

69gm

Shiny_Rock
very complete and concise answer, magnum. you said everything i was going to.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 5/26/2004 2:06:39 AM aaron709 wrote:

Also I am very interested in the Vatache X-prong setting design. From what I see though, the smallest diamond for this setting is .5 carat. Is there way to get a setting for a smaller diamond? (~.3 carat?)

----------------

Hm... Vatche does custom settings but one would definitely be more expensive than their standard models. In this case, probably more than the diamond.

You can probably find a stone that would fit both your planned budget and the standard setting. It would also be worth asking what range of diameters would fit into the setting labeled "for 0.5 cts".

I don't know when Vatche started making their models in !8k gold, bt Whiteflash has them, and versions of the "crossed prongs" model are made by others too... it is a common design, with many variants. Here are a couple of versions: by Whiteflash and KnoxDiamonds.

Actually, someone mentioned (on "Show me the ring") that the premium for custom work by DVatche was about 30% - keeping the specs D-F color, VS1/VS2 clarity and ideal cut, the couple hundreds added to customize the setting to fit a 0.3 carats actually get a 0.5! There is some premium on weights above 0.5 cts, but 0.45 would match the size and the setting...

I don't know what kind of stone you have in mind, but one like THIS definitely falls withing the range of diameter lengths 0.5 cts stones come with.

Just my 0.2, of course
1.gif

aaron709

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the help, I am new to the whole thing of not buying jewelry at the maul, so thank you for bearing with me. Would the setting that was made for a .5ct make a .3ct diamond look smaller? I definately wouldnt want to be taking away form the diamond at all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results