shape
carat
color
clarity

4 Prong Solitaire Setting for 1.63 Diamond??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PD

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. because you all were so helpful when I bought my fiancee''s e-ring, I thought I would run this by you. We are getting my MIL a new setting for her 1.63 RB e-ring. She wants it reset into a platinum solitaire (her setting now has baguettes).

The local jeweler told us we would need a 6 prong setting for a diamond that size. I know she really admires my fiancee''s simple platinum 4 prong holding her 1.53 diamond because it shows off the diamond more, and I was wondering if there is any truth to the jeweler''s concern. Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just get the 4 prong if you like the look. Make sure the prongs are platinum and not flimsy and you should be fine.
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
and get them checked once or twice a year which is good to do even with 6 prongs.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Yeah 4 prongs look absolutely great and if well done, the will be very safe. As Mara noted, they should be substantial and heavy, yet not overwhelming... Just be sure they aren't super cheap filmsy!
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
4 prong girl here. Mine is 3c. It is true that 6 prongs do protect the stone more; but, it's not a requirement or a necessity.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My grandmother's 1.4 ct lasted just fine through 66 years of marriage (plus two years of my wearing it) in four platinum prongs. True, the prongs are substantial. And true, it has a tiny chip or two, but it's still a VS1--and what gives it the grade is a natural, not the tiny chips.

Does that reassure your MIL?

PD

Rough_Rock
Hey thanks for the replies. Actually the MIL doesn't know yet. She has mentioned a million times that she loves the way my fiancee's setting shows off her diamond (both fiancee and MIL have excellent cut RB's -fiancee's is H&A but MIL's holds up quite nicely!).

So I know MIL said she would never trade up her diamond but would love to change to a simpler setting that shows off the beauty of her diamond more. So my FIL has tried to get her to go get it reset a million times but she always puts it off or goes and buys something for someone else. so i talked to FIL and he said it was fine if fiancee and I just buy the setting and tell MIL no exchanges, so if she doesn't have it sized and her diamond reset it will go to waste!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi PD if I remember you correctly you were once looking at Regents...but went with RB (an excellent choice)...and your GF was HLSgrad (I think)...

Congrats on engagement...

4-prongs...no problem...I like the 4-prong look

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
My jeweler's 4+ ct. diamond has four prongs and she doesn't seem concerned about it. As long as the girdle is not too thin it shouldn't be a problem.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
I have the 3.06 carat round stone in a Stuller 4 prong bombe shank settng.. if you look at the prongs it's very solid... at first I was worried about it looking bulky.. but it's not at all... and it really shows off the diamond. Setting is from GOG. Brand: Stuller

stuller1.jpg

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock

stuller2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the same head Leota....it's so cool
2.gif
Your prongs are a little filed down though, mine are slightly more chunky.
2.gif
But I love the head itself. It really shows off the stone to a great advantage through the side and diagonal views, don't you think?

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Nice Leota...great stone and setting...very elegant

Mara Imagine a 3c Regent in that ......
11.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
3.gif
Thanks!!

At first I wasn't sure if I chose the right one. But after looking at it in person, it's really nice! .. and it's set pretty low.. so it doesn't stick all the way out in the air..

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hee Hee Diane..a 4c Regent would be my dream!
1.gif
Since the diameter is smaller than a RB
2.gif

Hodne

Rough_Rock
Nice!
Got some non macro shots of that ring?

Hodne

Rough_Rock
side view shots
1.gif

Hodne

Rough_Rock
9.gif

stuller3.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
PD, I am going to be the lone dissenting voice and say that your jeweler is probably giving you that piece of advice for a reason.
1.gif

With four prongs, if one breaks...do the math...only three left to hold the stone. Not good. If you have six, and one breaks, there are five left to keep the stone safe.
1.gif

Hodne

Rough_Rock
But hopefully you won't be using the ring as a hammer :razz:

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Fair enough.
2.gif

But you will give it some pretty good unintentional whacks.
1.gif
I've only had my ring for a month and a half, and I've already bashed it repeatedly...against the car door, on a countertop, on a %&*$##^ Christmas tree stand...

My mother had a beautiful natural ruby in her engagement ring, set in four-prong platinum with diamonds & pave. Gonzo. One of the prongs broke - she has no idea how it happened.
sad.gif

Hodne

Rough_Rock
What did that car door ever do to you? :razz:
I REALLY like this setting! It's definetly the one I'm getting
16.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That's what insurance is for.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is that the Stuller one that Leota posted, Hodne? It's so classic and simple and as I said..I love the head. It really shows off the stone and I love how the stone looks like it's floating.

I am a pretty clumsy girl but for whatever reason I tend to be pretty careful with my ring hand. I've only banged it a couple of times on things like the mailbox (when I reach in to get mail it scrapes on the way out) and toilet paper seat covers..always ding the head on those metal carriers!!
9.gif

But I don't care! I've got insurance!
1.gif

Hodne

Rough_Rock
Hehe...

Yes, it's the same setting. It is soooo beautiful and it will look soooo good with "my" rock in it!
Oh, I have decided on a rock by the way
16.gif
appl.gif
16.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Yep, it's the same setting. At first I was already planning to change the setting before I received the ring. But now, "uh-huh" no way! I love it! I love the way it looks! The ring I get for myself or my boyfriend gets for me, I'll want it in this setting!
appl.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
A note on my repeated whacking of the e-ring/loss of my mother's ruby - my mother and I are both lefties.
1.gif
Genetically, and politically speaking, too.
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/16/2003 4:01:16 PM canadiangrrl wrote:

A note on my repeated whacking of the e-ring/loss of my mother's ruby - my mother and I are both lefties.
1.gif
Genetically, and politically speaking, too.
2.gif
----------------

That's interesting & makes perfect sense for a more protective setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results