shape
carat
color
clarity

4 or 3 sidestone prongs in a three-stone ring?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I realize it's a matter of taste but what are your thoughts on 3 vs 4 prongs for round sidestones? I'm finding that 4 tend to make the stones a bit squarish, but would 3 make them more pear like? Also would the third (outer) prong have to be thicker to keep the stones secure? My 3-stone to be will have 5mm sides and 7.6mm center if it makes a difference. Thanks!

Brownie22

Rough_Rock
I have a three-stone with four prongs on each stone. I like it but often times wish I had six prongs on the center stone to highlight the round shape and 3 on the side stones. If I could choose now I would probably do that.

IMG_2411.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
How many prongs on the center?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1331086268|3142398 said:
How many prongs on the center?

Ditto to that question. Four prongs for sidestones if the center has 4 prongs.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good point, definitely 4 prongs for the center.

Brownie, thanks for posting your ring, it's beautiful!

Brownie22

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I agree with everyone else. If the center is four prongs the sides should also have four prongs. Hope to see pictures when you have your ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brownie22|1331087322|3142421 said:
Thank you! I agree with everyone else. If the center is four prongs the sides should also have four prongs. Hope to see pictures when you have your ring!

I love your ring, Brownie!!! :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually, I am okay with 3 prongs on the sides for a four prong center and prefer it, even. I just don't like a six prong center with four prong sidestones.

This one, with three prongs on the sidestones, is my favorite look: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/open-gallery-accented-18k-white-gold-5448w18 and I prefer it to this one: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/classic-three-stone-18k-white-gold-5377w18

Take a look good look at the two rings and whichever speaks to you is the right choice. I personally, don't think there is a wrong one.

Brownie22

Rough_Rock
Thank you diamondseeker2006 :)

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far! I'm really liking the crossed trellis setting on the BGD site but the side prongs look a bit overwhelming:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/crossed-trellis-18k-white-gold-5460w18

I also really like the Truth 3-stone but would like the heads to be more integrated into the setting rather just attached to the top:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/truth-x-3-18k-white-gold-5450w18
Maybe I should do some sort of custom combination of the 2?

Another option I really like is the Vatche 3-stone Swan (but not with 6 prongs in the center) but I'm not sure how much it can be customized since it's a designer setting:
http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=13878&osCsid=2caa523da697f84532d87b996fe83439

I have a few months to figure it out so I'm kind of just brainstorming it at this point.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like 3 prongs on sidestones :)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the truth 3 stone and I love that it can sit flush to my eternity bands! I also found out the hard way that if you decide to upgrade the center stone, the original setting may be possibly reused w/out having to scrap the whole thing which is a plus.

To answer your original question, I personally prefer the 4 prong look on the side stones for uniformity.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the three prongs on the end diamonds.

Sparkle524

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the 3 prong side stone. Very beautiful. For me I think that 4 prong on the side stones has too much metal and takes away from the center stone.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
With 4 prongs on the center, I think 4 prongs also look best on the sides. If you were doing 6 prongs on the center, I would suggest 3 prongs on the side.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! Think I may have to go try on some more rings to decide.

Mom2Boys, I love your ring(s), both incarnations of it!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm trying to decide this too. I like 3 prongs on the sides aesthetically, but I think 4 is obviously more secure. They both are nice though, so whichever you decide, it will look great.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a 3 prong vote for the side stones. Why I like that is the hint at being a pear. I love pears! Also, I find it is much more interesting to have something off kilter than a 4 prong setting. In terms of safety for the stone -defer to what your jeweller says.

What will your centre stone be - 4 or 6 prongs? (sorry if you posted above... I jumped in later...)

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Enerchi, the center will be 4 prongs.

I'm wondering about the safety, I tried searching here and my understanding is that 3 prongs is just as safe as 4 since losing one would basically mean losing the stone. It does seem that with 3 prongs, the one on the side tends to be a bit thicker though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results