shape
carat
color
clarity

4 diamonds. Would love your help in deciding which one.

eug3fo

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am fairly new to the forum but have learned so much in such a short time. I have narrowed my search down to 4 diamonds and would appreciate your help in deciding which one to chose. I have spoken to JA customer support and they are unable to provide any other images (HA, IS or ASET) for these 4, so I can only go off of the picture/specs provided on the site.

I would love your assistance in choosing a diamond.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-f-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-491521 HCA 1.9
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-445013 HCA 1.5
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-454625 HCA 0.5
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-468002 HCA 0.7

Thank you in Advance!

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
eug3fo|1429557857|3864978 said:
I have spoken to JA customer support and they are unable to provide any other images (HA, IS or ASET) for these 4

Either you have misunderstood what the JA rep told you, or JA has changed its policies on reflector imagery. Did they say they have no HA/IS/ASET images on file to send you, or did actually they say they will not be able to have any such images produced for you by request?

JA used to provide reflector (IS/ASET/HA etc.) images for up to three diamonds per customer. Did you already use up your allotment on other diamonds perhaps? Would be useful to know if JA has changed its policies.

From the videos, I like diamonds #1 and #4 better than the other two, but I'm no expert on MRBs.

Good luck!

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
I like the fourth diamond (first diamond the runner up). Nice spread, brightness, scintillation.

All terrific choices but the fourth diamond is my fav.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
drk14|1429559719|3864995 said:
Would be useful to know if JA has changed its policies.

Hi drk14,

Let me jump in and answer that question.

The short answer is yes. Well, no. Well, read on...

Around six months ago, we made the decision that in order to have the widest variety of diamonds on our website, we would need to expand our network of manufacturing partners outside of New York. Until that time, every diamond listed on JamesAllen.com was within a stones-throw of the office. That being the case, we gladly brought in up to three diamonds for additional imaging and analysis.

Now that we are listing diamonds from all around the globe, it's impractical for us to ship diamonds from overseas to do the same type of imaging we did in the past. This means when we get a request for an Idealscope (or ASET, or GG request), the answer is going to depend on location. I don't know the specifics of the OP's request, but it's possible all four of those diamonds were overseas, thus the lack of additional imaging.

We knew this issue was coming and are currently brainstorming to see what solutions might be available. Until then, however, we believe that the benefits of increased selection (we just broke 50,000 diamonds, all of which feature 360° videos) will outweigh the lack of imaging for some portion of our diamond inventory.

Finally, I want to make it very clear that we do not and will not 'drop ship' a diamond. Regardless of a diamonds location, it will *always* come into our New York office for inspection by one of our gemologists prior to shipment or setting into a ring. That has been our policy since 2006 and has not changed.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I correct in assuming the ship date next to the stone is a good way to tell if asets could be ordered or not? I feel like ive noticed if it doesn't ship next business day you can't get one.

eug3fo

Rough_Rock
drk14|1429559719|3864995 said:
Either you have misunderstood what the JA rep told you, or JA has changed its policies on reflector imagery. Did they say they have no HA/IS/ASET images on file to send you, or did actually they say they will not be able to have any such images produced for you by request?

JA used to provide reflector (IS/ASET/HA etc.) images for up to three diamonds per customer. Did you already use up your allotment on other diamonds perhaps? Would be useful to know if JA has changed its policies.

From the videos, I like diamonds #1 and #4 better than the other two, but I'm no expert on MRBs.

Good luck!

Thank you for your input! #4 was my top choice. Like James Allen Schultz explained... the 4 diamonds I chose are not within distance of their NY office for them to produce the images.

danielxlin|1429559902|3864997 said:
I like the fourth diamond (first diamond the runner up). Nice spread, brightness, scintillation.

All terrific choices but the fourth diamond is my fav.

Thank you! Mine too!

Thank you for the explanation.

Niel|1429563525|3865020 said:
Am I correct in assuming the ship date next to the stone is a good way to tell if asets could be ordered or not? I feel like ive noticed if it doesn't ship next business day you can't get one.

I was told to look for the "Butterfly" water mark on the bottom right of the picture. The diamonds with this watermark are "local" and are able to have other images produced.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Mr. Schultz,
Thank you for the clarification. As long as you still have the 360 view for all virtual stones, I suppose that access to an expanded inventory is a reasonable trade-off that offsets the lack of reflector imagery for some of the diamonds (and I assume the in-house gemologists' reviews are also not possible for the overseas diamonds?).

As Niel's question implies, it would be helpful for PSers to be able to know upfront when reviewing the JA database, which diamonds can be called in for ASETs/etc. and which are not eligible for further imaging/analysis. Maybe a "Made in the USA" mark for the local diamonds? =)

I would certainly understand if from a business/marketing standpoint, you prefer not to present virtual stones from local and overseas origins differently on your website, but if there are no such objections, it certainly would be useful to PSers to be able to make the distinction when browsing your database. Even if it's a "hidden" sign, like the correlation with ship date that Niel has picked up on.

Just saw this when I was previewing my response before posting:
eug3fo said:
I was told to look for the "Butterfly" water mark on the bottom right of the picture. The diamonds with this watermark are "local" and are able to have other images produced.

That answers my above question/request, assuming it's confirmed as a reliable indicator.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi drk/Niel,

Yes, both the watermark and/or the ship date are pretty good indicators, at least for now. The 'missing' watermark is actually a system bug, but when the staff found it to be so helpful I sorta 'forgot' to report it to our guys in IT. :shock:

As to the shipping date, that also works, although there will be times throughout the year that partner offices close (Passover, for example). In those cases you'll see delayed shipping dates even for domestic diamonds.

When in doubt, we're open 24/7 and should be able to tell you right away via chat/email/phone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also notice there's a slight difference in the way the diamonds (particularly rounds) look. Maybe the lighting or the camera used but they have a "look" I feel....

Can you tell I look at your diamonds too often ?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4th one would be my favorite also.

eug3fo

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1429567831|3865041 said:
4th one would be my favorite also.

Thank you! I believe you were the one who introduced me to it in another thread!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results