shape
carat
color
clarity

4 C''s... which is more important?

Pen K

Rough_Rock
Or rather 3 C''s.

Once you establish what ct size you want, which is ranks in the order of importance to you?

Color? Cut? Clarity? How about polish and symmetry?

I''m finding that for my price range, I have to give up one over the other. For example, Cut would be very good if I want and F-color. Or I can swap and have the Cut be Excellent but may have to downgrade to a Clarity-VS2/SI1.

Maybe it''s a matter of personal preference but interested on what people have chose or would choose if given the choice.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on what I am buying.

My last stone bought I actually had a list of what I wanted and carat size was dependent upon the other three. As in I wanted a range of yellow on a nice cut radiant that was eye clean (or minimum of inclusion that could be hidden by a prong). None of those were negotiable to me. I was willing to go down in size to get what I wanted.

For earrings, I told my husband I wanted D-F in color on a certain range of size. The clarity and cut were kind of tied after that. I wanted SI2 or above, but they didn''t need to be eye clean really. The cut wasn''t as important since I''ve noticed my preference for earrings is not to have ideal cuts (I do have a pair and I feel like the money is wasted).

Usually color is really high up for me along with clarity in general for what I am looking. Carat size for most items is last (earrings were important to match what I normally wear) so that is where I am normally flexible.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I decided on a GIA excellent with great numbers, instead of a super ideal to get the color and clarity in the size I wanted. It was easy for me as no H&A stones that met my specs were available at the time. I''m glad I took the chance as I got a gorgeous stone.

I wouldn''t sacrifice cut if I saw a visual difference. If I were you, I''d go to Jareds and have them show you their AGS0 diamonds and compare them to a GIA very good cut.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dont sacrafice on cut. A well cut stone will reflect light better which will allow you to go lower in color without seeing too much
tint. If you are trying to go large on a tight budget drop the color down (H/I/J) and go for an eye-clean SI1 stone.

Are you looking at rounds?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The general PS philosophy is--assuming you don''t have a sentimental attachment to any of the 4 Cs--to go with what makes the most visual difference. That generally means a fine cut above all, then color depending on the shape of the diamond and how color sensitive you are (for instance you might find an I or even a J is plenty white for an ideal round brilliant that''s not super huge, but for an emerald cut that won''t mask color as much you go no lower than an H), then clarity--with the assumption it''s eye clean (a sweet spot for a RB being SI1, though it also depends on the inclusions and your eyes).

Pen K

Rough_Rock
Yup, I''m going for a round cut diamond ring. What I have to decide on is either a very-good cut vs. clarity AND color. Meaning, if I want to go for an Excellent-cut, then I''ll have to go for a G/H in color and SI1/SI2 in clarity. If I want to go for a Very-Good-Cut, then I get to keep a F-color and VS1/VS2 in clarity.

It''s a tough decision to make! It''s hard to make a decision when you get 2 minutes max to study the diamond. (Jewelers are kind enough to say take your time, but it''s a bit awkward when you take more than that, lol)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
why not a F SI1? if you''re ok with SI with the G color...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would never compromise on cut, a diamond should have sparkle and life and that comes from the proportions. Does not have to be an H&A diamond, but the angles and proportions need to be great for me to even consider it. NO compromise there ever.

After that I value carat and want the biggest I can afford. Color and clarity are about equally important, though I might value clarity a little more than color. I have a 1.66ct J VS1 but would have happily bought a VS2.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
also you are the customer, you can (and should) take as much time as you want. next time perhaps compare F, G, H color and see if you see a difference. also make sure to compare them in different lighting conditions, and look at the side view as well as the top view.

i would get the best cut and then go as low as you feel comfortable in color/clarity, but that''s personal preference

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut would be my first preference then color then clarity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results