shape
carat
color
clarity

4 C''s - priority?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sixstrrzr

Rough_Rock

As many of you know, I am looking for a diamond for an engagement ring.

My local appraiser advises that best value is for a stone under 1 C - markups are higher on stones > 1 c.

My question is, for a stone that''ll be set in yellow gold, is clarity the next most important parameter? I have been pricing stones with E-F color, but I have heard (not on PS, and I also need your opinions on this) that, if a stone is to be set in Yellow Gold, color can be relaxed, maybe to G-H..?

Does clarity relate to fire/scintillation etc. Or is this more the cut (premium, ideal).

The long & short of all this is, I''m looking into online purchase, and I want to avoid appraising a bunch of stones at $150/stone. I realize the disadvantage of online deals is that you can''t see the stone, but if I was to be able to prioritize some of these parameters (4C''s) ,then I could maybe hit a bullseye the 1st time.

- Geoff

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

#1 priority should be cut. A great cut is what creates desirable fire, brilliance, and scintillation, and, especially in a RB, will also help hide body color so you afford to go lower in color and still be fine.

Then it''s a toss-up between color and clarity. If you want to maximize your pennies you want to go by what your eye can see. In other words, if you don''t notice any yellow in an I, then you can go down that low. If the inclusions in a SI1 are not visible to the naked eye, then go for it. However, you might be one of those people who is sensitive to color or has an eagle-eye, so it is definitely important to go to some local stores and see what your level of tolerance is.

Lastly, do a search here for vendors other people have been happy with and see if any strike your fancy. A trusted professional is a, ahem, gem, and will allow you to discuss your parameters with him or her and feel comfortable buying something sight unseen. Many of the PS vendors can also provide you with various photos and reports that will make your purchase less scary.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2004 1:16:18 PM
Author: Hest88

#1 priority should be cut. A great cut is what creates desirable fire, brilliance, and scintillation, and, especially in a RB, will also help hide body color so you afford to go lower in color and still be fine.

Then it's a toss-up between color and clarity. If you want to maximize your pennies you want to go by what your eye can see. In other words, if you don't notice any yellow in an I, then you can go down that low. If the inclusions in a SI1 are not visible to the naked eye, then go for it. However, you might be one of those people who is sensitive to color or has an eagle-eye, so it is definitely important to go to some local stores and see what your level of tolerance is.

Lastly, do a search here for vendors other people have been happy with and see if any strike your fancy. A trusted professional is a, ahem, gem, and will allow you to discuss your parameters with him or her and feel comfortable buying something sight unseen. Many of the PS vendors can also provide you with various photos and reports that will make your purchase less scary.

Great advice Hest.

Cut is king.
Long live the king.

Clarity: A stone identified by a reputable lab or appraiser as SI or above (VS, VVS, FL) should appear "eye clean." This is commonly the goal for someone purchasing a diamond which will not be examined under a loupe or microscope). Be sure of this yourself, however (see summary)

Color: This goes to personal preference (some people prefer warmer colors). If you prefer colorless or near-colorless, bear in mind that a well cut stone can appear more colorless than a stone of average cut with the same color grade. Well cut stones can also appear slightly larger than their average cut counterparts due to increased light return.

Summary: In all cases, buy the stone, not the paper (meaning have an appraiser and/or trusted vendor examine it for you as well as viewing it yourself...If you buy over the internet most vendors have an ample examination/return period).

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results