shape
carat
color
clarity

4 c''s - diamond help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AlexHatcher

Rough_Rock
im having a rough time choosing a ring. i''ve bee nto a few stores and recentley ive found that you can build a custom ring...thus, i cannot view the ring before i buy it. so i am wondering perhaps whta is the most important of the 4 c''s - or better yet what might be the best order to arrange the 4 c''s(from greatest to least)?

thnx 4 help to all
26.gif

tmonk

Rough_Rock
From what I understand (I''m no expert, but this thread looks lonely)

Look for a diamond that is cut well, above all else.

Color - not as important as cut in the eyes of most people. Almost a preference thing? Some people want a colorless diamond, others don''t mind a diamond with some warmth.

Clarity - if you''re going round, try to get something SI1 that looks perfect to the naked eye. Anything VS2-VS1 is fine. Anything VS1-IF is just plain overkill. If you''re going for a fancy cut, you may need to look for something VS2 or VS1, as imperfections can be spotted a bit easier. One of the less important qualities to focus on. Rarity != beauty.

Finally, see what size diamond you can afford. Buy the biggest you want / can afford.

I ended up buying a cushion cut diamond.

From memory:

VS1
E color
1.03 carat
Excellent polish / symmetry / nice cut (a bit different with fancy diamonds)

I may have overdone it a bit, but with the cost of my diamond.... a couple hundred dollars for what I really wanted was worth it in my eyes *shrugs*

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 10:02:18 PM
Author:AlexHatcher
im having a rough time choosing a ring. i''ve bee nto a few stores and recentley ive found that you can build a custom ring...thus, i cannot view the ring before i buy it. so i am wondering perhaps whta is the most important of the 4 c''s - or better yet what might be the best order to arrange the 4 c''s(from greatest to least)?

thnx 4 help to all
26.gif
Welcome Alex!

tmonk did a great job of introducing you to the basics, cut is KEY if you are going to end up with a pretty diamond. I just would add to tmonk''s advice that concerning clarity, some SI2 can be eyeclean also so worth keeping an open mind.

The best thing would be for you to read up with the advanced tutorial as there is a lot which can''t be addressed in a single post. This tutorial will link you to most of the important aspects of diamond buying, once you have read it then you will have a good grounding. Also if you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
In my opinion I think:

#1) Cut (it makes the diamond alive!)
#2) Color (this one is a little subjective.. some people want colorless and some people like a little warmth)
#3) Clarity (as long as it''s eye clean it''s all good)
#4) Carat (get the biggest ''best'' stone you can afford)

Hope that helps
2.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Please don''t get sucked into buying a huge rock that is lifeless. So many people think size is what is first noticed (and ok, well, it might be) but in the long run it will dissapoint you. Cut is the most important. Go to different places to view rocks, including a store that has a natural lighting option, and see for yourself the difference. Or get someone over the phone to give you their opinion- after asking for an excellent cut in the first place (that is on the diamond report, like GIA).

A well cut stone will dazzle you and appear larger than it''s true weight.

Date: 3/10/2009 5:40:45 AM
Author: Daisi2112
In my opinion I think:

#1) Cut (it makes the diamond alive!)

#2) Color (this one is a little subjective.. some people want colorless and some people like a little warmth)

#3) Clarity (as long as it''s eye clean it''s all good)

#4) Carat (get the biggest ''best'' stone you can afford)

Hope that helps
2.gif

I agree with the above. For #3 I would just add that there are some clients who do prefer some kind of inclusion as a "birthmark" in the stone, or identifiable feature...and others who believe in as association of clarity with purity so they go for very high clarities. But mostly, yeah, eye-clean!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results