shape
carat
color
clarity

4.34 Champagne Diamond - What is this worth (ball park)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aahq

Rough_Rock
One Yellow Gold Solitaire Champagne Diamond Set Ring
3.3mm wide upswept band with pointed shoulders, centre round diamond, is 6 claw set in a white gold wire setting.

total weight 5.01 gram
Diamond:
Cut round brilliant
dimensions 10mm -10.1 mm
actual weight 4.34 car
colour: champagne C4

I don''t have a clue what this is worth but it has a valuation certificate which says exactly the above from 1994... With a value of $35000 Australian Dollars (somewhere around $25,000 US).

It has a number of visible flaws in it (2 I can see). I was told that it is hard to find a diamond of this size without flaws (?).

They are looking for about $10000 Australian dollars for this ($6000US)? Is it worth it? I am going to get it valued anyhow but have been noticing on the web that champagne diamonds seem to sell for almost nothing?

Regards

Scott

aahq

Rough_Rock
I have found out that it is a P1/I1 clarity. From what I can work out this diamond is like a big house in the worst neighbourhood? If anyone has any idea at all of what this is ballpark worth (worst to best) it would be appreciated. I don't care if it is compared to US diamonds as I occassionally get over to the US.

Regards

Scott
confused.gif

aahq

Rough_Rock
Well I paid the dough to get it checked by a proper valuation service (not associated with the sale of diamonds) and they have come up with a figure of AU$18250 as the value of this diamond. So is Australia really that overpriced compared to the rest of the world? The Gemologist said that if I was getting it for $10000 there is no way I could get this any cheaper. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Regards

Scott
read.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Scott I sure hope someone can respond to your inquiries because I have no idea...
confused.gif

aahq

Rough_Rock
Yeah I hope so. Champagnes are quite hard to value I have heard, even the valuer said it.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Scott
A reasonable price for your diamond in Australia assuming a good cut is around AU$3500.00 per carat therefore your diamond should cost AU$15190.00 + GST
Hope that helps

Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd ( Australia )

aahq

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I heard the cut was not fantastic but ok, possibly a little deep (10.1mm x calc depth 6.4mm), described as "medium with thick faceted girdle. The original valuation said it was an argyle which meant that it was worth a little more according to the valuer but she said there was no proof that it was (too many colours in it to be sure).

The description in full was:

One handmade diamond ring stamped 750 set with one round brilliant cut diamond measuring approx 10.1mmxcalculated depth 6.4mm = 4.45 ct calculated weight, Diamond in 6 claw white gold wire coronet mounted on 3.2mm to 3mm taper shank. Weight 4.6 grams.

Diamond

Cut medium with thick faceted girdle
colour champagne c4
clarity P1 borderline P2

Retail value $18,250

So that means if I go to the Jeweller I will pay about $15,000 - $18000 for it. God will know what it is worth on the street...

Regards

Scott
12.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
According to "The Guide" a 4.34 C-4 I1 diamond should be priced from $1000 to $1800 per carat which puts the price of the diamond somewhere between 5-7,000 US (wholesale). The retail price is anybody's guess.

There are plenty of large eye-clean "champagne" diamonds available if you have the time to look for them.

aahq

Rough_Rock
Would you consider buying it at US$6500 (AU$10,000). *** disclaimer this was not actually an offer ***
1.gif
The person is pretty desperate to sell. It is basically a big house in a very bad street. Is it possible to get these type of things coloured so they look a lot nicer. At the moment it is a nice honey/woody type of look but as soon as you get close you can see it's problems.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results