shape
carat
color
clarity

$4,300.00 Avg. Price for US Engagement Ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ndnyhagen

Rough_Rock
Did anyone else see the piece on CBS Sunday Morning this a.m., May 14, ''06? Interesting article about the materialism that now surrounds engagement ring shopping. I''m all for more bling, as long as it''s affordable. Do you think their $4,300.00 avg. figure per e-ring is accurate?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I thought it was lower at some point? Like, $3500 was the average?

Regarding it being materialistic...aren''t all objects that aren''t neccessities, materialisitc? I think that''s something that is an individual thing. Some couples or women, are very sentimental about their e-rings, other''s aren''t, other''s just want big bling. I do think the cost of e-rings are insane right now, particularly platinum, and am thankful we bought my platinum cathedral when we did (3.5 years ago).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
it used to be less like $3900 or something for national average, sure there are states where larger is the norm (aka SF or NYC or maybe Texas etc) but there are always those smaller or more simple areas which will have much smaller carat weights than metropolitan areas. so the average to me is a little misleading because it really depends on where you live. but I wouldnt be surprised if the national average has gone up a bit, since prices have as well.

the funny thing is that there are always differing reports of averages. US weekly reported that a 1.5c $4500 ring or something was the national average. i just wanna know where they are getting a 1.5c stone for $4500..hehee.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any website that lists average e-ring stone size by region?

Saw a post that there was one but couldn''t find the website when I looked for it.

Since I''m searching for a stone right now I find this topic interesting.

Thanks

dragongem

Rough_Rock
Really? I always thought the ave would''ve been much higher since ave. weddings cost 15k. I would think people would want to spend more on the ring rather than the wedding, but then I am surrounded by these women w/ their 2 carat rings & I thought I was conservative.
3.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In one snapshot of time, the last 25 diamonds sold on BN averaged $5842.76

max: 26682
min: 317
std. dev: 6198.66

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2006 12:34:01 PM
Author: Mara
it used to be less like $3900 or something for national average, sure there are states where larger is the norm (aka SF or NYC or maybe Texas etc) but there are always those smaller or more simple areas which will have much smaller carat weights than metropolitan areas. so the average to me is a little misleading because it really depends on where you live. but I wouldnt be surprised if the national average has gone up a bit, since prices have as well.

the funny thing is that there are always differing reports of averages. US weekly reported that a 1.5c $4500 ring or something was the national average. i just wanna know where they are getting a 1.5c stone for $4500..hehee.

Being from the SF Bay Area, living in the NY Metro area (I mean, really isn''t NJ just a big NY suburb), and having a best-friend and aunt in TX... I have to say TX wins hands down. My aunt lost her diamond from her setting (prongs were loose)... and she upgraded to a 5 carat-- and she STILL has the smallest diamond of all her friends! It''s crazy out there.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
WOW Gypsy a 5 carat is small down there? I think 2 is humungous!
28.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
She lives in Dallas.

Big houses. Big cars. HUGE hair... and GINORMOUS Diamonds. And we aren''t talking solitare''s either! Nope... enough pave, channel set and baguettes to choke a great dane (big dogs too, come to think of it).

randuff

Rough_Rock
LMAO!! How true! I live in Fort Worth and it is unreal here.... Makes me kinda chuckle when I think about the 1.01 I am getting my fiance.

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
I live in a suburb of Houston (The Woodlands) and don''t know anyone with more than 2 ct., and most are more in the range of mine (1.09 ct. center stone with .50 cts of side stones). I have seen some really large rings on older women at the mall or whatever, but nothing like 5 carats. Maybe I''m living in the wrong part of the state?

Oh, and I do have big hair. Humidity, you know. Makes it hard to get that Jennifer Aniston look when the humidity''s above 80% for most of the year. At least it also keeps your skin dewey and moist!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/14/2006 10:01:20 PM
Author: Gypsy
She lives in Dallas.

Big houses. Big cars. HUGE hair... and GINORMOUS Diamonds. And we aren''t talking solitare''s either! Nope... enough pave, channel set and baguettes to choke a great dane (big dogs too, come to think of it).
all the PS girls should move to Dallas "home of the 5+ct stones"
31.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2006 11:12:49 AM
Author:ndnyhagen
Did anyone else see the piece on CBS Sunday Morning this a.m., May 14, ''06? Interesting article about the materialism that now surrounds engagement ring shopping. I''m all for more bling, as long as it''s affordable. Do you think their $4,300.00 avg. figure per e-ring is accurate?
not on pricescope!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/15/2006 2:01:29 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
all the PS girls should move to Dallas ''home of the 5+ct stones''
31.gif

If housing here cost as little as in Dallas, maybe I coulda afforded a 5+ carat ring too. I remember when I went to Dallas on a business trip. Was talking to a fellow (at the time) Los Angeleno on the shuttle bus into town who had just retired there. He lived in the "ghettos" of Los Angeles, but sold his house and bought some fat house to live in, and another fat house to rent all for what he got from his less than 2000 sq ft in the ghettos little home.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2006 8:29:57 PM
Author: codex57

Date: 5/15/2006 2:01:29 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
all the PS girls should move to Dallas ''home of the 5+ct stones''
31.gif

If housing here cost as little as in Dallas, maybe I coulda afforded a 5+ carat ring too. I remember when I went to Dallas on a business trip. Was talking to a fellow (at the time) Los Angeleno on the shuttle bus into town who had just retired there. He lived in the ''ghettos'' of Los Angeles, but sold his house and bought some fat house to live in, and another fat house to rent all for what he got from his less than 2000 sq ft in the ghettos little home.
i heard that you can buy a mansion in TX for $400k.
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WELL depends on your definition of Mansion and WHERE in TX your talking about. But you can get a 4000 square foot house on more than a 1/2 acre with upgrades out the wazoo for that in a NICE Forth Worth neighborhood. We looked.

As for BFE texas... yeah, that''s about right from what I''ve seen.

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
I'd have to move 10 miles inland and buy an 800-sf 1-BR condo if that was my budget. At least it's not humid in L.A.
9.gif
But I may rent forever
7.gif
Nah, the market will crash soon enough...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results