shape
carat
color
clarity

3x GIA certified Hanadama pictures and Takahashi gem comparison

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I was very curious about this new GIA certified Hanadama at Pearl Paradise, so despite finding the price a bit too expensive I decided to buy 3 pairs to see if I loved any of them. They came very quickly in the mail after ordering.

None of them, sadly, wowed me but one of the pairs was noticeably superior to the other two. I’ll defer making too many comments (@yssie and others feel free!) since I want the pictures to speak for themselves.

my favorite GIA pair:
1703739825505.jpeg

2nd pair:
1703739886391.jpeg

3rd pair, I got this to see what “lightly spotted“ meant for GIA.

1703740041885.jpeg

These imperfections are NOT obvious to the naked eye but next two pics should illustrate:

1703740100621.jpeg

1703740122805.jpeg

My favorite pair is in middle with backs pushed up close to pearls. I still find it weird they are labeled pink and green overtone by GIA, I didn’t really feel much green. pinkest pair.

1703740214835.jpeg
1703740393692.jpeg

1703740423257.jpeg

Direct comparisons in next post.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
So that’s the end of my GIA hanadama vs GIA Hanadama section. I think the photos shows quite a bit of variation in luster between them, so in my personal opinion it‘s just like the PSL Hanadama —- you want to shop and avoid bottom-of-range GIA Hanadama pearls.

Next I’ll compare the favorite GIA (8.4mm) with a 8.1mm Takahashi gem pair that was the first pair I bought through instagram (not in person). I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves but I’ll comment that the high GIA price premium does NOT seem warranted.

Which pair do YOU think is better? GIA has the yellow gold butterfly and Takahashi has the white gold rubber backs.

1703741521417.jpeg

1703741549072.jpeg

1703741572863.jpeg

1703741604994.jpeg

1703741628873.jpeg

1703741654662.jpeg
1703741688854.jpeg

Forget luster on this one, look at that overtone difference!!
1703741709606.jpeg
1703741762948.jpeg

1703741789313.jpeg

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
@yssie asked me to post a few pictures of the favorite GIA next to my Natural White Ten-nyo Takahashi necklace. Earrings usually have a higher standard but I figured why not. I wish I had more sunlight pictures to show the overtone differences more…

1703742574384.png
1703742064367.jpeg

1703742100935.jpeg

Interesting difference in overtones in this picture:
1703742141574.jpeg

1703742216297.jpeg

1703742352578.png

1703742405665.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, the Takahashi vs gia comparisons are crazy. For me, the earrings side by side make it clear that T wins by a mile!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can only repeat my last parting sentiment: Ouch.

So clearly buying direct from Japan remains the most cost-effective way to get the best akoya.

@NY_Resonant You’ve cured me of my FOMO and both my wallet and my partner thank you :lol:

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I can only repeat my last parting sentiment: Ouch.

So clearly buying direct from Japan remains the most cost-effective way to get the best akoya.

@NY_Resonant You’ve cured me of my FOMO and both my wallet and my partner thank you :lol:

Yea, given the SIGNIFICANTLY higher pricing on the GIA pairs ($900-$1200), I had hoped for a more competitive level of pearl quality to the Japanese sourced gems... And that's after picking the best out of 3 pairs to compare.

I don't know how the GIA compares to the PSL Hanadama pearls at Pearl Paradise but if people saying it is a "stricter" standard are correct ---- all I can say is people are leaving a *LOT* of quality (and money) behind in exchange for that return policy by choosing not to go with the Japanese vendors.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that the GIA certification reflects what the PSL certification used to; that PSL has lately gotten looser in what it defines as Hanadama. Not that there is a higher standard for the new GIA Hanadama pearls than there used to be for Hanadama certifed by PSL.

If this is the case I imagine PP will be sending their Hanadama pearls to GIA for certification rather than PSL. Other USA-based online retailers may follow suit. I suppose there is also an advantage to shipping to NYC rather than to Japan.

Of course, we all know that there must inevitably be a range of quality within any grade, from any retailer, since pearls are not made in factories but by living mollusks.

@NY_Resonant, I notice the posts on your Takahashi studs are thicker and longer than the PP GIA ones. I have thick earlobes but I find the PP studs really comfortable. Do you find the longer, thicker posts comfortable? Did you have to specially request them or are they standard with Takahashi studs?

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
My understanding is that the GIA certification reflects what the PSL certification used to; that PSL has lately gotten looser in what it defines as Hanadama. Not that there is a higher standard for the new GIA Hanadama pearls than there used to be for Hanadama certifed by PSL.

If this is the case I imagine PP will be sending their Hanadama pearls to GIA for certification rather than PSL. Other USA-based online retailers may follow suit. I suppose there is also an advantage to shipping to NYC rather than to Japan.

Of course, we all know that there must inevitably be a range of quality within any grade, from any retailer, since pearls are not made in factories but by living mollusks.

@NY_Resonant, I notice the posts on your Takahashi studs are thicker and longer than the PP GIA ones. I have thick earlobes but I find the PP studs really comfortable. Do you find the longer, thicker posts comfortable? Did you have to specially request them or are they standard with Takahashi studs?

There are three tiers of backs to choose from at Takahashi, the mid tier (rubber back) and high tier (butterfly back) come with this nice strong post standard. The cheapest option has a smaller post that they don’t recommend for 8mm+.

I’m a guy so I can’t opine on comfort but my wife and mother find them very comfortable.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearlsngems The thicker Takahashi posts come in at ~0.9mm diameter and 12mm long. But they don’t have any thicker post with bigger cups - only 4mm. Pearl Paradise’s regular posts are ~0.76mm thick and 10mm long, and their “heavyweight” posts are ~0.85mm thick and 10mm long (same as what Mikimoto uses). And Pearl Paradise’s findings have several cup size options. Takahashi uses a local-to-them goldsmith, not sure where PP sources.

If that’s helpful to you. I do have friends who have newer piercings and couldn’t use the Takahashi posts.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.gia.edu/gia-news-press/hanadama-quality-range-comment-added-to-pearl-classification-reports#

It sounds like if a pearl/strand meets some threshold criteria they’ll automatically assign the Hanadama notation:
Round to near-round shape, white body-color (with or without overtone), excellent luster, clean to lightly spotted surface, excellent to very good matching, and sufficient nacre thickness and quality

Open questions for me are how luster is evaluated and what constitutes sufficient/“acceptable” nacre thickness. GIA was much more forthcoming than PSL about how they measure nacre thickness when I asked a year or two ago, when you request a numeric notation on the report. I assume the measuring process is the same for the “acceptable”/unacceptable boolean.
1. X-ray the strand.
2. Choose, by visual from x-ray, a few pearls that are “representative of the strand”. Neither pearls with thickest nor thinnest nacre, neither most nor least smooth/unblemished. 5-7 pearls for an 18” necklace, 2-3 for a bracelet.
3. For each of those few pearls, measure nacre thickness (from exterior of nucleus to exterior of pearl) in four directions.
4. For each pearl, average the four nacre thickness measurements to one number.
5. Average all sample pearls’ (averaged, single-digit) nacre thickness results into one number.
6. Report a strand nacre thickness to two decimal place precision.

Same bracelet strand. Both reports a couple years old now - my understanding is that PSL’s standards have deteriorated meaningfully since then.
IMG_8719.jpeg
IMG_8718.jpeg

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
https://www.gia.edu/gia-news-press/hanadama-quality-range-comment-added-to-pearl-classification-reports#

It sounds like if a pearl/strand meets some threshold criteria they’ll automatically assign the Hanadama notation:

Open questions for me are how luster is evaluated and what constitutes sufficient/“acceptable” nacre thickness. GIA was much more forthcoming than PSL about how they measure nacre thickness when I asked a year or two ago, when you request a numeric notation on the report. I assume the measuring process is the same for the “acceptable”/unacceptable boolean.
1. X-ray the strand.
2. Choose, by visual from x-ray, a few pearls that are “representative of the strand”. Neither pearls with thickest nor thinnest nacre, neither most nor least smooth/unblemished. 5-7 pearls for an 18” necklace, 2-3 for a bracelet.
3. For each of those few pearls, measure nacre thickness (from exterior of nucleus to exterior of pearl) in four directions.
4. For each pearl, average the four nacre thickness measurements to one number.
5. Average all sample pearls’ (averaged, single-digit) nacre thickness results into one number.
6. Report a strand nacre thickness to two decimal place precision.

Same bracelet strand. Both reports a couple years old now - my understanding is that PSL’s standards have deteriorated meaningfully since then.
IMG_8719.jpeg
IMG_8718.jpeg

One thing i’ll say about GIA is that their surface grading seems to be more stringent than PSL. Note your bracelet had GIA call it “Lightly Spotted” instead of “Clean” — while PSL gave the highest grade.

That jives with the lightly spotted earring that I have, the surface is actually quite decent on it and I had to look hard to find the imperfections on my pictures.

dmz

Rough_Rock
all I can say is people are leaving a *LOT* of quality (and money) behind in exchange for that return policy by choosing not to go with the Japanese vendors.

There has been a lot of commentary that prices have been increasing. Do you have current pricing from Japanese vendors? Are you able to share a rough idea of Japanese pricing in comparison?

I bought some of these as a list minute Christmas present. (Paid extra for DHL, DHL had been on strike and was backlogged. Oops.)

Happy enough with them, but I don't have the eye that some of you all do. Will try and post photos when I have a chance. Visibly nicer than Freshadama studs. Wife doesn't have any other akoyas to compare to.

The comparison photos are really interesting. You didn't happen to save the PP product shots, did you?

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Is it a photo blip, or is there a flat spot on the 3rd favorite pair?
Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 20.18.18.png

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
There has been a lot of commentary that prices have been increasing. Do you have current pricing from Japanese vendors? Are you able to share a rough idea of Japanese pricing in comparison?

I bought some of these as a list minute Christmas present. (Paid extra for DHL, DHL had been on strike and was backlogged. Oops.)

Happy enough with them, but I don't have the eye that some of you all do. Will try and post photos when I have a chance. Visibly nicer than Freshadama studs. Wife doesn't have any other akoyas to compare to.

The comparison photos are really interesting. You didn't happen to save the PP product shots, did you?

I don’t know current Japanese pricing but as of a few months ago, you could get a gem 8.5mm pair for $300 plus $90 (no butterfly back option) on setting plus shipping.

PP product shots? I posted the pictures that I took. I just returned the earrings today (Fedex ground) — so I imagine they will be back in inventory soon.

You can go by the mm sizes of the pairs to identify a specific pair on PP… my first post shows the sizes. My favorite pair was 8.40 and 8.48 mm. That specific pair was listed at $918, a bit cheaper than the others due to being in the below 8.5mm bracket.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dmz,
CPAA magazine ThisIsPearl has this article about rising pearl prices in their November issue:

I also posted this thread back in April about the rise in pearl prices:

Based on this article:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First of all, HOW did you take such wonderful photos???

I ordered a pair of GIA Hanadama earrings from the special Facebook event PP had, and even with the discount, I couldn't justify keeping them. My Takahashi are so lovely, and really hold their own when compared to a Hanadama. I took some photos with my Takahashi pearls before returning them, but my photo skills are horrible:

IMG_7624.jpeg IMG_7618.jpeg

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock

I ordered a pair of GIA Hanadama earrings from the special Facebook event PP had, and even with the discount, I couldn't justify keeping them. My Takahashi are so lovely, and really hold their own when compared to a Hanadama. I took some photos with my Takahashi pearls before returning them, but my photo skills are horrible:

Thanks! Pearl photos can be hard to take, thats for sure. I did all mine using an Iphone 13 Pro Max.

Different distances of phone from pearls, different zoom levels and different lighting situations.

Personally I believe that most Takahashi gems would qualify not only as PSL Hanadama but the higher grade of PSL Ten-Nyo (Especially if you pick the best of a few sets from photo comparisons). I just couldn’t justify paying the PSL certification fees on studs but I believe @yssie sent some of her Takahashi gems for testing and got Tennyo results.

Only one I sent for PSL testing was my first Takahashi purchase, a blue-grey gem akoya which came back as PSL Madama as expected/hoped.

Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@NY_Resonant I used an iPhone 15 pro. Maybe I shouldn't admit that. :roll:

I always knew my Takahashis were stunning, but when I received the earrings it just reinforced my belief that @yssie has led us to the best! :kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your Takahashi outdo the GIA Hanadama no question!

GIA is definitely staying true to their habits here. Their EX grade for diamonds is a range. Their Hanadama, also clearly a range.

Some diamond vendors - their best quality is GIA EX. GIA EX is enough. And then there are the precision cutting diamond boutiques who demand the best of GIA EX, their best quality is a small subset of all the diamonds that earn GIA EX.

Pearl Paradise seems to be going by GIA's grading. They aren't selecting beyond or demanding more than the GIA Hanadama notation. The economies of scale that must make maintaining a very-nice-but-not-cream-of-the-crop quality threshold most profitable, even for such a specialized product - goodness knows a GIA Hanadama pearl is not an everyday ask! I wonder if that will change enough to make specialty sourcing a profitable mass-market #Thing?

I would love to see GIA invest more heavily in pearls research.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Your Takahashi outdo the GIA Hanadama no question!

GIA is definitely staying true to their habits here. Their EX grade for diamonds is a range. Their Hanadama, also clearly a range.

Some diamond vendors - their best quality is GIA EX. GIA EX is enough. And then there are the precision cutting diamond boutiques who demand the best of GIA EX, their best quality is a small subset of all the diamonds that earn GIA EX.

Pearl Paradise seems to be going by GIA's grading. They aren't selecting beyond or demanding more than the GIA Hanadama notation. The economies of scale that must make maintaining a very-nice-but-not-cream-of-the-crop quality threshold most profitable, even for such a specialized product - goodness knows a GIA Hanadama pearl is not an everyday ask! I wonder if that will change enough to make specialty sourcing a profitable mass-market #Thing?

I would love to see GIA invest more heavily in pearls research.

Pearl Paradise used to price their PSL Hanadama pieces using a uniform pricing strategy. That seems to have changed with their GIA pricing.

Here is an example of two GIA studs, same GIA specs, the larger set is cheaper than the smaller set! Does this mean they are applying a quality (Luster?) pricing modifier like many Japanese vendors do?!?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearl Paradise used to price their PSL Hanadama pieces using a uniform pricing strategy. That seems to have changed with their GIA pricing.

Here is an example of two GIA studs, same GIA specs, the larger set is cheaper than the smaller set! Does this mean they are applying a quality (Luster?) pricing modifier like many Japanese vendors do?!?

I would love to know the answer to that question! You're right of course, nothing is different on paper.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As prices and popularity of pearls go up, GIA might invest more in their pearl grading. Especially if the above factors start driving a market for imitation pearls that are more difficult to spot than the current plastic ones lol.

Sadly all the price hikes likely means my pearl purchases will have to massively slow down. But I can’t complain, I have some tennyos, handamas, and even a supearl (WSS) in the mix. My holy grail is still a supearl akoya which Takahashi knows and I’m hoping they’ll let me call dibs one day should one ever appear

dmz

Rough_Rock
I would love to know the answer to that question! You're right of course, nothing is different on paper.

I think the 7.68/7.72 (the more expensive ones) are "Natural White", though the only way to discern that is to filter the listings. I don't see it indicated anywhere on the product page.

dmz

Rough_Rock
I don’t know current Japanese pricing but as of a few months ago, you could get a gem 8.5mm pair for $300 plus $90 (no butterfly back option) on setting plus shipping.

That's quite reasonable if it still holds. Especially if you're outside of the US where PP's return policy is less valuable.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
That's quite reasonable if it still holds. Especially if you're outside of the US where PP's return policy is less valuable.

I imagine Takahashi pricing has not changed much if they are staying near their competitor, GeneralPearl.

8mm+ at $282 (plus shipping):

8.5mm+ at $636 (plus shipping):

Gotta love the favorable JPY vs Dollar exchange rate currently.

dmz

Rough_Rock
PP product shots? I posted the pictures that I took. I just returned the earrings today (Fedex ground) — so I imagine they will be back in inventory soon.

You can go by the mm sizes of the pairs to identify a specific pair on PP… my first post shows the sizes. My favorite pair was 8.40 and 8.48 mm. That specific pair was listed at $918, a bit cheaper than the others due to being in the below 8.5mm bracket.

I found the PP product shots. (The images are still hosted even if the product page has been taken down.)

8.40 and 8.48 mm

GIA24-8.40and8.48.jpg

8.65 and 8.67 mm

GIA27-8.65and8.67.jpg

8.70 and 8.73 mm

GIA26-8.70and8.73.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results