shape
carat
color
clarity

3ctw stud earings - how shallow should I go with the cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kanedale2

Rough_Rock
After buying her a 2.18 AGS000 engagement ring, I am now in the market for a wedding present and the girl has her heart set on 3ctw studs. Telling her that 3ctw are too big is not a discussion that I am going to win, so please don''t respons that I should go with a 2.5ctw H&A cut
28.gif

I want to get her nice sparkly earings that are not yellow or obviously included. Is it true that a shallower cut is better for earings? I am thinking of setting my search criteria to the following. Do these look good?

CUT: AGS 0-1 overall gut grade or GIA with a excellent to very good cut
DEPTH: At or below 60%. (How shallow is too shallow? Should I be looking for 59%-60% depth stones?)
TABLE DIAMETER: ???
COLOR: H or I, possibly J but I am nervous on going J on stones this large.
CLARITY: SI1-SI2
DESIGN: 3 prong martini (I read that "La pousette double-spring tension backs offer greater security and comfort wear than screw-backs" Is that true?)
SIZE: 1.4 - 1.55 ct each

As I am not an expert, I have omitted EGL from my search as I don''t "trust" their ratings.

Alternate idea is the attached earings, but I think I am going with the studs.

Thanks for all the help with solidifying my criteria!!

earing.jpg

kanedale2

Rough_Rock
No real budget, but that strikes me as higher than those stones should cost. I don''t think I need to spend $6000 / ct on earings. I think I should be able to get a 3ctw set AGS1 I SI1 for around 10-11K. Am I way off here? That is what my internal diamond-o-meter is thinking they should cost...

Cheers,

Dale

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 1:50:07 PM
Author:kanedale2

After buying her a 2.18 AGS000 engagement ring, I am now in the market for a wedding present and the girl has her heart set on 3ctw studs. Telling her that 3ctw are too big is not a discussion that I am going to win, so please don't respons that I should go with a 2.5ctw H&A cut
28.gif

I want to get her nice sparkly earings that are not yellow or obviously included. Is it true that a shallower cut is better for earings? I am thinking of setting my search criteria to the following. Do these look good?

CUT: AGS 0-1 overall gut grade or GIA with a excellent to very good cut You can start with these, evaluate each diamond carefully rather than rely on cut grades.
DEPTH: At or below 60%. (How shallow is too shallow? Should I be looking for 59%-60% depth stones?) Yes you can look at these depths, but I would make the cut off a little below 60%.
TABLE DIAMETER: ??? Up to or just over 60% if the critical angles are in a good range. You can look at shallower angles diamonds also if you choose with care and the help of the HCA in the first instance to see if they are worth looking at, then ASET or Idealscope if seriously considering for purchase. There are various angle configurations that could work.
COLOR: H or I, possibly J but I am nervous on going J on stones this large. Should be fine and still very white for earrings.
CLARITY: SI1-SI2 You could even look at I1 if verified eyeclean to eyeclean face up by a trusted vendor, might be a challenge with diamonds of this size but worth keeping an open mind.
DESIGN: 3 prong martini (I read that 'La pousette double-spring tension backs offer greater security and comfort wear than screw-backs' Is that true?)
SIZE: 1.4 - 1.55 ct each

As I am not an expert, I have omitted EGL from my search as I don't 'trust' their ratings.

Alternate idea is the attached earings, but I think I am going with the studs.

Thanks for all the help with solidifying my criteria!!

You could also contact a vendor you like and ask them if they could suggest some excellently cut diamonds which might suit you which would match.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
maybe, if you can find a good matching pair at I SI2.

kanedale2

Rough_Rock
Yes, but when I tried the local channel I kept getting either EGL''s or stones w/o certificates. It seemed the GIA and AGS stones they had available were much more expensive than online....

Hmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results