shape
carat
color
clarity

3ct Ideal rb''s hard to find?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been browsing vendor sites for ideal cut rb''s in the 3ct up to around 3.20ct, maybe larger depending on specs/price. Why are they so darn hard to find? I know very very little about rb''s, so any help from you guys would be welcome.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The larger sizes are more scarce. But you need to call one of the vendors and ask them to locate one for you. They may not be listing them on the site.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Probably because they''re so darn expensive
9.gif
Seriously though, the larger the size and higher the spec, the scarcer these creatures become, which in itself creates high demand. They are there though, as Virginia''s link shows. PS vendors will look out for the perfect stone for you if you give them the spec range you''re interested in.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely contact a couple of vendors and tell them what you are looking for. Their resources extend far beyond what ours do - I''m sure that they would come up with the perfect stone for you!

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I also wanted a large stone. Since this represents a substantial investment, the best thing for you to do is to contact a few of the highly regqrded Pricescope vendors here, such as GoodldGold, Whiteflwash, Wink, Nice Ice. James Allen and a few others.

After speaking with them,you might want to determine whom you want to work with. Since large stones in Ideal cut are not that plentiful you might want to determine what is impotant to you, Cut,color, clarity, price before you make your calls since there is a large disparity in cost depending upon these factors.

I think best cut is most important in such a a large size. If you want the largest stone within your budget, you might want to look into an eye clean Ideal cut SI stone. Accoring to John Quixtote, super Ideals such as ACA and other hearts and arrows are rare in the larger sizes but an Ideal cut can be qite beautiful. I think mine is.
I believe there is also a form on Pricescope where you fill in what you are looking for and vendors who have what you want will contact you.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
rough is expensive right now so you see less of the large stones being cut out of rough, why cut a 3.5c stone when you can cut 2-3 1c stones or similar where there is more of a market for it?

even 2c stones are scarce..it will be interesting to see how long this lasts!!

i''d get in touch with a few of the vendors you want to work with and have them start putting out feelers or even check into having one cut for you if it''s possible...but be prepared to wait a while and be patient!
2.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
That is the largest selection I''ve ever seen! But most of them are lower in color that I thought I wanted, but with the prices going up. Man, how does one ever win!?!

The biggest obstacle is trying to decide what I want! Which manufacturers make prongs with little diamonds all up and down? Kinda like the "Toni''s Ring" on Pearlmans site.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ann I would give WF a call and have them source a stone for you.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ann, if you have a PS vendor close to you, I recommend using one of them. They will be able to help find you the stone. michael b, vera wang, leon mege, all do the diamond up the prongs thing. I will add if you are thinking of the michael b setting you might call Bill about the stone you are looking for. He doesn't list diamonds on his site but does sell them at competive prices
2.gif

ETA: if you identify yourself as a Pricescoper, any of the vendors will automatically know how picky you're going to be and only bring in serious contenders
9.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.questjewelers.com/diamonds.cfm?cmd=stoneSearchResults&sh=RD&ca1=2.8&ca2=10&co1=D&co2=J&cl1=1&cl2=8&pr1=0&pr2=99999&cut=Signature%20Ideal&cert=GIA

If you go to the above site and check under Ideal rather than Signature, there are some better color stones.There is are D color stones and one E color under Ideal. However, all are SI's.I have a large eye clean SI and am okay with it but you might prefer better clarity grade.( I don't know if you searched this way. I didn't at first).

There are more under Premium cut but I do not know if these would meet your standards

As John Quixote explained in a previous thread, very few Super Ideal or ACA stones are cut in the 3 carat and over size because there is too much waste of the rough and it is hard to get rough in these large sizes so most cutters will go for the cut quality that will bring in a larger stone at a better price particulary since most peope know about color and clarity but not that many are aware of cut at this point.

I ams sure you can find what ou are looking for if you have a vendor look for one for you that meets your reqirements as to cut, color and other factors. It may take a while but it is worth waiting if you get what you wasnt. Although Quest does have a nice selection in the Ideal assortment.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ann
23.gif
first a new corvette ,now a 3+ ct rb,
30.gif
love your style.
9.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ann:

The biggest reason they are hard to find on most vendor sites is that few people can afford a 3 carat diamond. Why stock something that may take a l o n g time to sell.

This does not mean that they are not available.

Personally, I would contact Todd at NiceIce, Jonathan at Good Old Gold, Wink at Winfields, and Whiteflash and explain what you are looking for (there are a few others as well). I suspect that any of these vendors will be able to get one - and it is really only a choice of which vendor you like to deal with.

You might even be able to arrange that the different vendors call in different diamonds and send them to an independent appraiser where you can see them side by side.

Perry

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2006 4:01:00 PM
Author: solange
There appear to be very few H&A stones in larger sizes. On a Pricescope search, there were only a few in the 3 carat and above.
Is there a reason for this? Is it that there is so little demand for H&A stones in large siizes or does the cut not lend itself to H&A cutting?
Are there any H&A stones posted here in large sizes--3.5 carats or over?

Response by John Quixote on another thread
Many people have never heard of H&A, but size is universal. Finishing a diamond with H&A precision requires removal of more weight. Since pieces of unpolished rough are increasingly rare with size, larger pieces are usually finished in the most economical manner.

For example, a diamond that finishes as a 4.01 ct round with good proportions will command
a higher premium than the same piece of rough would if polished/worked on enough to finish as a 3.80 ct superideal.

With large, rare pieces of rough the yield becomes even more paramount than it is in more common sized goods. Superideals in large sizes exist but over 3 cts they are indeed quite rare.

I hope this helps to explain why there are so few SuperIdeals in large sizes. However, if you have any of the above mentioned vendors do a search for you, I am sure you can find something that will please you. I got my 4.10 Ideal at Whiteflash after a wait of several weeks.
It is an I Sii 2. I wanted a G or H but nothing came up in Ideal at the time although I was willing to pay more. I am very happy with the stone. It is perfectly eye clean and looks quite white.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone.

Living in Houston, yes, I could go see WF, but the taxes on that large of a purchase - whew!

I''m not yet ready to make up my mind. Some PS''ers know I''ve been all over the chart with shapes. After reading PS for a few years, I find myself attracted to a RB simply because it is as close to a perfect cut as I can get. I''m sure others will disagree. But the cushion I want is not out there, radiants are becoming too sharp for me, ovals have that darn bowtie, the other shapes I''m not interested in. So that leaves a round. If I decide on a round, then by golly it had to be one hell of a stone. I will want the best we can find, the largest size I can afford, and a vendor who can put up with me. A tall Texas order.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results