shape
carat
color
clarity

$35k budget...what would you do?

Krae11

Rough_Rock
What kind of fun would you have with that budget? Assuming you aren't set on Tiffany, how would you make the most of it? Interested in any all fun, fabulous ideas!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this for an engagement ring?

Krae11

Rough_Rock
Yes, Gypsy, it is for an e-ring. We've looked around a lot the last couple weeks and it's time to start making some decisions. We've narrowed down what we like, but there are so many gorgeous options still, it's really hard to decide.
We loved the Tiffany Novo except we'd want more for the money ($48,600 for a 1.9 F VVS2). If we went with that style, we'd make it a "faux-vo" as we've called it, so we could get a large (approx 3.0) diamond for less $ than the real Tiffany. And, I'd be afraid I'd do damage to people or clothes with that rock.
We also loved the Embrace (also Tiffany, looked beautiful in a 1.5 with a halo), but then we came across the Michael Barin tri halo and WOW. Gorgeous. But it's $10-11k just for the setting.
Then I saw Frankie's Steven Kirsch pave halo, and I just can't decide. That setting would be between $5 and 6k.
We don't really want to wait the month that it would take for the custom work, but I suppose we could be more patient.
Anyway, I was just wondering what some of you would do. It seems like a lot of the people on here have a LOT more experience than I do in choosing diamonds and settings (and deciding what looks balanced on a finger), so it couldn't hurt to ask around. Also, we aren't telling anyone we know until the proposal is official (upon acquisition of the ring), so I can't talk to friends about it at all.
Thanks in advance for any input you may have!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kirstyrae|1303348722|2901492 said:
Yes, Gypsy, it is for an e-ring. We've looked around a lot the last couple weeks and it's time to start making some decisions. We've narrowed down what we like, but there are so many gorgeous options still, it's really hard to decide.
We loved the Tiffany Novo except we'd want more for the money ($48,600 for a 1.9 F VVS2). If we went with that style, we'd make it a "faux-vo" as we've called it, so we could get a large (approx 3.0) diamond for less $ than the real Tiffany. And, I'd be afraid I'd do damage to people or clothes with that rock.
We also loved the Embrace (also Tiffany, looked beautiful in a 1.5 with a halo), but then we came across the Michael Barin tri halo and WOW. Gorgeous. But it's $10-11k just for the setting.
Then I saw Frankie's Steven Kirsch pave halo, and I just can't decide. That setting would be between $5 and 6k.
We don't really want to wait the month that it would take for the custom work, but I suppose we could be more patient.
Anyway, I was just wondering what some of you would do. It seems like a lot of the people on here have a LOT more experience than I do in choosing diamonds and settings (and deciding what looks balanced on a finger), so it couldn't hurt to ask around. Also, we aren't telling anyone we know until the proposal is official (upon acquisition of the ring), so I can't talk to friends about it at all.
Thanks in advance for any input you may have!

Yeah, some of us have some experience helping people find their rings.

Here are some questions:

How old are you?

What is your finger size?

What is your profession?

What type of clothes do you usually wear... tailored classic, bohemian, retro, right off the runway?

If you had a pick a store that was your 'style' of furniture what would you pick?

Are you hard on your hands? Do you work out a lot?

Do you have kids? Planning to have kids soon?

What is your lifestyle like? For example, mine is couch potato :bigsmile:. Okay so not totally, but I do enjoy relaxing over partying.

Are you color sensitive?

Do you prefer brilliant cuts or step cuts?

Rank the following:

Size
Color
Clarity
Brand

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly like the Steven Kirsch halo much better than the Michael Barin one. So that is what I would choose if choosing for you based on the things you have said you like! Truthfully, having a ring custom made in your size with a stone you have chosen is really special and well worth waiting for!

Stones to choose from:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104050449012

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2599704.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond.php?d=10470&shape=1&ctMin=2.0&ctMax=2.4&clarity=24&color=24&optSym=1&resultsColumns=268435471&singleResult=1

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kirstyrae|1303355885|2901609 said:
Dreamer_D|1303351554|2901549 said:
That looks lovely, except that I thought no culet was desired. Am I misinformed (my guy has actually been doing all the research up til now and I've just taken his word for it)?

Those are top cut quality antique style cushions and they definitely should have culets! There may be modern cushions with no culets, but these are masterfully cut to have excellent light performance!

I will admit, though, they face up smaller than rounds, so if size is an important factor, you'll get more for your money with an ideal cut round!

Krae11

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1303356032|2901614 said:
Kirstyrae|1303355885|2901609 said:
Dreamer_D|1303351554|2901549 said:
That looks lovely, except that I thought no culet was desired. Am I misinformed (my guy has actually been doing all the research up til now and I've just taken his word for it)?

Those are top cut quality antique style cushions and they definitely should have culets! There may be modern cushions with no culets, but these are masterfully cut to have excellent light performance!

Thanks, Diamondseeker! I would have had no clue. We may have to look at that stone then...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer your topic question - I would freak out of my mind and drive my DH crazy trying to figure out what I wanted to buy.

But seriously, I would go find the mounting I like then pick the biggest, best diamond I could afford (with a gorgeous band to go with it of course).

Have fun shopping. I can't wait to see what you get.

jsb1976

Rough_Rock
I would put it all on red or black and have a 50/50 chance of having $70k to spend on a ring. :naughty:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would pick what shape you want first :) that AVC dreamer linked is GORGEOUS and one of my favorite AVCs but if you want a round, asscher, princess, emerald...then I would get what YOU want.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1303402696|2901897 said:
I would pick what shape you want first :) that AVC dreamer linked is GORGEOUS and one of my favorite AVCs but if you want a round, asscher, princess, emerald...then I would get what YOU want.

Ditto you need to decide what shape you want by looking around and then get the best you can w/n budget. I heart AVCs which you can only get at good old gold, but they are a very unique style.

Also waiting for a custom halo or any other design from Steven Kirsch would be SOOOOOOOO worth it. You are going to have that baby for a really long time. What is a few weeks of waiting? Also I suggest you browse Leon Mege's website for setting styles. Since Steven used to work for him, he can do something similar.

And if I had $35k, I would most definitely get this except with a warmer (K/L) colored stone: http://artofplatinum.com/vault/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1265&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1 That diamond is an AVC from GOG btw not from Leon as he implies.

kkulbo0

Rough_Rock
If I had 35K budget, I would spend at most $15k on a ring and invest the rest.... perhaps on precious metals fund. You'll thank me when the market tanks

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
I would buy one these cushion cut stones (over 2 carats, around $20K) and have Leon designed a heavily pave or halo setting for around $5k.

Then, invest the rest.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
Just to be clear a 2 ct cushion is visually and definitively smaller than a 2ct round brilliant and thus is less expensive.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
frankiextah|1303441246|2902383 said:
Just to be clear a 2 ct cushion is visually and definitively smaller than a 2ct round brilliant and thus is less expensive.

I would disagree with that. A 2 ct cushion is not necessarily smaller looking. Depending on the stone, cushions can look larger or smaller. Especially at the 2 ct size, there's a lot more weight for a size differential - and certainly, there are some 2 ct cushions that look MUCH larger than a typical 2 ct round.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are antique cushions which are not as precision cut at the August Vintage stones, but some of them are amazing and well worth considering. We have a member who had a whole set of jewelry made by leon Mege using these antique stones and they are magnificent.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-perry-chen-thank-you-once-again.151761/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-perry-chen-thank-you-once-again.151761/[/URL]

(I really adore these pieces but would not want that much pave on a ring because I think it is too much for casual wear and I think the loss of little stones would drive me nuts!!! But I am giving you the link to see what can be done with the antique cushions.)

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
iota15|1303443022|2902399 said:

I would disagree with that. A 2 ct cushion is not necessarily smaller looking. Depending on the stone, cushions can look larger or smaller. Especially at the 2 ct size, there's a lot more weight for a size differential - and certainly, there are some 2 ct cushions that look MUCH larger than a typical 2 ct round.

I apologize for being misinformed... I would love to see an optically excellent cushion that has a larger physical parameter than an ideal cut round brilliant, of the same carat weight? I would imagine the cushion would have to have a shallower crown and a shallower depth to achieve the same circumference as a round brilliant, and thus wouldn't have excellent optics in the first place ?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
frankiextah|1303449624|2902453 said:
iota15|1303443022|2902399 said:

I apologize for being misinformed... I would love to see an optically excellent cushion that has a larger physical parameter than an ideal cut round brilliant, of the same carat weight? I would imagine the cushion would have to have a shallower crown and a shallower depth to achieve the same circumference as a round brilliant, and thus wouldn't have excellent optics in the first place ?

the finger coverage (diameter) is smaller but the total area is roughly the same.

to the OP: I would choose whatever shape YOU like best, based on what sort of optics appeal to your eyes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results