shape
carat
color
clarity

30th Birthday Ring - Brilliantly Engaged

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
We're already married, but jewelry is still fun :love: I decided to get my wife another ring as she's turning 30 this month (actually, we're both turning 30 this month). Just got word it's finished today so here's the only picture of the actual ring that I have. I'll update later with the in hand pics. It's a blue diamond in platinum. Nice and simple, exactly what I wanted.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!! What a fabulous birthday gift!!! :love:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see hand shots!!!

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow that's an amazing g gift! I hope we can see more pictures when she gets it!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Do you get her such amazing gifts at every birthday? I think I just got dinner when I turned 30. ;)2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, nice! We certainly need more pics when you get it! What a great bday gift!!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! :appl:

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
So...I picked up the ring today. They messed up and used 1.15mm diamonds for the shank instead of 1.4mm. They admitted their mistake and are offering a refund for the price differences in the melee. I was told the oops happened because the jeweler thought 1.4mm was going to overpower the small center (the center diamond is .6ct ~5x4x3mm).

What do you guys think? My initial reaction was to just chalk it up to a mistake and take the small refund. I'd certainly hate to have the ring remade and then have the jeweler end up right, that is, that the smaller melee did look better with the small center.

Anyone have any experience with this?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the picture very much and it would never occur to me that it might need larger melee. I'd stay with what you have - it's elegant!

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Mrs-b! I'll post an in hand picture. I'm trying not to discount the rings quality because of how small and delicate it is. It wasn't what I expected when I opened the box. Her engagement ring has a 2.2ct spinel as the center stone with a halo and is overall a much bigger ring. This ring is so much smaller and the individual diamonds are not as easy to make out. They just make the whole ring glitter.

I think there's a certain stigma that bigger=more expensive=better. That's clearly not the way to make nice jewelry and my rational brain knows that but the emotional part was disappointed at first. I'll update soon with in hand pictures.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
IMG_1708.jpg IMG_1744.jpg

Here are some crappy light photos of the ring on my pinky. The other ring has the melee size that this one was meant to. I got sparkly glitter instead of larger stones.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
IMG_1743.jpg Here's a picture of the ring on her hand with her LOTG wedding band. We planned our wedding in 3 months (and this was 5 years ago when we had significantly less fun money) so we went with cheap easy bands and planned (at least I plan) on upgrading later.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
So does anyone think it looks weird?:(

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's lovely... but if you aren't happy with it, have it remade.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I think it's beautiful. But if you and and DW aren't happy with it you should definitely talk to the jeweler.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Can we see a pic with just this ring on her finger?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I just say that you guys are awesome? My DH and I had the exact same situation! Planned a wedding in three months and kept everything (including the rings) pretty humble :)

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! I guess I'll keep it. She likes that it's delicate too.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful! My only question is the actual width of the shank. Because it should definitely be at least 1.8mm with pave and I think 2mm is even better. Bottom line, I'd keep it as it is if it is 1.8mm or wider, but I would have them remake it if it is less than 1.8mm because it may have structural problems such as going out of round causing loss of pave stones.

(This is just an aside in the event they need to remake the ring. Did you consider a halo on the blue diamond? A white diamond halo on a colored stone really accentuates the color, and it would have a larger presence than a .60 alone.)

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
The shank is approximately 1mm thick. They said the stones they used were 1.15mm so I suppose that could be the thickness of the shank as well. It's hard to eyeball 1/10th of a mm but it's definitely not 1.8mm. The other ring in the picture is about 1.5mm as the pave in that ring is 1.4mm (the size they were supposed to use).

Her other ring has a halo so I wanted to keep this one without it. Though I agree, halos look great on colored stones.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a spectacular gift! Happy 30th birthday!

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I turned 30 on the 5th and she turns 30 on the 30th :)

So what happened was, I asked how big the melee would be, was told 1.4mm. The designer made the shank 1.4mm deep, with 1.15mm melee. I'm having it remade so it will have 1.4mm melee and will be 1.8mm deep.

BE has been good about communicating and honest the whole time but it's still a PITA to have it turn out wrong. Oh well, mistakes happen I guess.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear that BE will remake your setting and that you asked for the shank to be 1.8 mm thick. Please come back and post side by side pictures of the remade vs ‘wrong’ setting/rings.
-C4C

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear that BE will remake your setting and that you asked for the shank to be 1.8 mm thick. Please come back and post side by side pictures of the remade vs ‘wrong’ setting/rings.
-C4C

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
-C4C

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
-C4C

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
-C4C

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
-C4C

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
IMG_2162.JPG

Wow it's been a while but I figured I'd update this thread. BE remade the setting and it's much better. I'm completely satisfied and would use them again for sure. My only complaints are they could have avoided this by using a formal order form and that things always take a few weeks longer than they originally plan for. Still, this setting is probably small potatoes compared to other projects they've got going on so I'm a happy customer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results