shape
carat
color
clarity

30 Year Anniversary Ring

calin

Rough_Rock
First off thank to all who contribute to this wonderful forum – over the past month I have gone from someone who k new nothing about fine diamonds and certainly would have overpaid for a low quality diamond ring to an educated – well informed consumer who will be able to now surprise my wife of 30 years with a ring that will blow her away!!

Setup – November of this year my wife and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary – I am surprising her with a beautiful trip as well as renewing our vows. My first proposal wasn’t very romantic as I actually did it at a stop sign because I couldn’t wait – always bothered me – gonna fix that now. I want to get her a new diamond ring for putting up with me for 30+ years and give it to her while on our trip.

Luckily I found this forum - I have put in some time and hope I learned well – my random notes

CUT is king – cut over everything else – the other c’s are where you juggle and trade

Search parameters as far as Depth, Table, Crown Angle, and Pavilion Angle are key, I used 60-62.3 / 54-58 / 34-35 / 40.6-40.9 as a starting point

HCA Calculator – use as rejection tool – must be 2 or less

Basic understanding of Idealscope and ASET images - leakage = lighter color red

Must be able to balance quality over quantity – smaller diamond with fire and brilliance looks better than poor cut larger diamond that has no personality

Be sure you pick the ring for her taste – not yours – even if you have to ask or hint

Use the tools and information here to help you narrow down then I plan to ask for help

Be ready to pull the trigger – diamonds get sold out from under you

If you are also in the market for a setting it is best for you purchase both from the same source

Diamond quality matters in pave

Here’s what I’m after
~8-9K for diamond and setting – I would put diamond quality over size but I want as large as I can
Round with plenty of brilliance and fire
1 to 1.1 Carat is where I find myself – her current ring measures 5.04mm across – I want new one to be larger
Best Cut – Ideal / true hearts / hearts and arrows ….
H color or better
Minimum SI2 or better – must be eye clean - no need for overdoing it on the clarity
Flour – none to faint – understand this least – I am after white and bright
Setting will be White Gold or Platinum - depends on what $$ left after diamond – simple solitaire or pave

Here’s what I have come up with so far – open to all suggestions – haven’t done this in 30 years – want something up to date

James Allen

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1859018

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/channel-set/

Whiteflash
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3634210.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...eek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

Open to others for sure

Thanks in advance for the help

Calin

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on 30 years!!!

You have done well to pick up all those pointers on PS...I think you've got it down.

I know that JA is eye-clean by their standards but that crystal under the table would bug me.

On the other hand the WF crystal is near the girdle and looks prongable. I would call WF and ask them what their cleanest/prettiest
1+ carat/H is in your price range. You can not go wrong with an ACA stone. I love the legato sleekline. Beautiful setting.

Boy is she going to be surprised! :clap:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Calin, congrats on 30 years!!!! what an accomplishment. I don't know much about the cut other than what you said, CUT is king... I was wondering if she may want an enternity band? I suppose I say that because next year is my 30th wedding anniversary and I want one!! hahaha! you are a keeper. Again congratulations.. you are a keeper for another 30 at least!

peace.

calin

Rough_Rock
Yeah....about that....the way I titled this post is misleading now that I look at the subject..... I am getting her a new engagement ring not anniversary band. Not that its a bad idea, I've seen lots of beautiful rings here.
I wish I could edit the subject line but I can't figure it out

Thanks and good luck

Sent from my LG-H950 using Tapatalk

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Changing the subject for Calin

calin|1474121991|4077706 said:
Yeah....about that....the way I titled this post is misleading now that I look at the subject..... I am getting her a new engagement ring not anniversary band. Not that its a bad idea, I've seen lots of beautiful rings here.
I wish I could edit the subject line, not sure how you would do it.

Thanks and good luck

That is wonderful, awesome and she is going to LOVE it... you can start another thread, people do it all the time. I just changed it above. There are so many wonderful pro-consumers on -this site.. Cannot wait to see what you buy and your setting.. it's all very romantic... If she has a Pinterest account and you can see it, she might have some ideas there for a setting...!!!

regards.

calin

Rough_Rock
Thanks Tekate
I going to change it to
Help with Diamond

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! To be honest, it was very easy to tell from your posts that you were looking for a solitaire! So I think this thread is just fine!

About a year before our 30th, ten years ago, I came here because my husband said he would like to get me a new diamond ring for our 30th! I also got a new solitaire. We upgraded one more time after that!

I really love the Whiteflash Legato Sleekline pave setting that you chose! I also love their ACA diamonds and have those for my diamond stud earrings.

The Whiteflash diamond you linked is a very nice one, and this is the other one I would consider:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3710273.htm

What kind of wedding band does she have now? What metal is it? I am wondering because you may need to get her a new band to wear with this ring.

calin

Rough_Rock
DS
Thanks for the reply
Her current band is attached to her wrong. See my avatar pic. That's a great point - i need to consider see if there is a matching band .. Its difficult on the weekend cause she always right next to me but I that's a good thing.
I'll take a peek at that diamond as soon as I can
Thanks

calin

Rough_Rock
There is a matching band -yes!!
She is gonna absoulutly freak out

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! That will be gorgeous! I love that ring with the matching band! I'd recommend platinum if you can do it. Platinum just has to be polished very few years to look like new, whereas white gold has to be replated because white gold is actually light yellowish underneath the rhodium plating. Gold wears away more than platinum does. But either will be fine!

Big question is...do you know her ring size? Are her old rings tight or has she ever sized them? Getting the size right is very important when you have diamonds on the shank/band.

calin

Rough_Rock
I'm gonna get her ring off her hand tomorrow and trace it, I also have a dial caliper that can tell me in mm. We are going to the football game tomorrow and I will offer to clan her stiff when I do mine. I hope this works!!!!

calin

Rough_Rock
Note - I don't thumb type very well

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are a smart man! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh, print this out! It will help you with the size! It's the last thing at the bottom and the circle images to the right hand side of the page.

http://images.zales.com/images/popups/zales_ringsizer.pdf

But, notice if the current rings are snug on her fingers. If they are, you might go up a quarter or half size.

calin

Rough_Rock
Wow that's slick! Her rings are tight, she had to run her hand under water with soap and still had to work on it.
I got a good tracing and also measured it with my caliper - looks like it is 15.5mm. I also put it on a candle and marked it.
Any idea if I should go up a quarter of half size?
Thanks for all the help!!!!

calin

Rough_Rock
calin said:
Wow that's slick! Her rings are tight, she had to run her hand under water with soap and still had to work on it.
I got a good tracing and also measured it with my caliper - looks like it is 15.5mm. I also put it on a candle and marked it.
Any idea if I should go up a quarter of half size?
Thanks for all the help!!!!

47bb6b4aa3bdcbb84d7d1d65b3a543a5.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
calin|1474162163|4077900 said:
I'm gonna get her ring off her hand tomorrow and trace it, I also have a dial caliper that can tell me in mm. We are going to the football game tomorrow and I will offer to clan her stiff when I do mine. I hope this works!!!!

One of my all time favorite PS typos!

Clanning one's stiff. Because every stiff should have a clan of its own. :bigsmile:

And I love your choice of the Legato - lovely ring! Pls speak to WF, tho, and confirm how you want the prongs - regular or claw-shaped. And ask for a little extra love to make them as small, neat and even as possible. I have to be honest, tho - I do prefer the JA stone. I like a little higher clarity, so the VS2 works for me - and I like that it's just a tad larger. To me it just seems like a better stone. Can I ask what her original e-ring was like? And does she wear it daily?

Re the matching band; personally, I wouldn't do the matching band. My choice is to either have diamonds on the e-ring band or on the wedding band. I think the contrast is nice and stops one fighting with the other. I also find it infinitely easier to shower, work in the garden, cook and apply all manner of skin creams without needing to remove my wedding ring - which she would surely have to do otherwise. Your choice is your own of course, but do consider a plain band.

And lastly - throw in an ultrasonic cleaner, or at least some cleaning fluid so she can clean her ring regularly; it will make all the difference!

Congratulations - and I'll be following your thread to see your completed ring. :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do a 5 1/2, then. By any chance were you also able to hold the rings over the circles and verify that the current rings are about size 5? She is going to be sooo much happier with rings that fit!

I have a slight difference in preference than my friend MrsB, because I can go with either a plain solitaire or one with diamonds, but I always want a diamond wedding band. To her point that one plain and one with diamonds is more attractive, I would always go with a plain diamond solitaire (like the Legato without pave or one of the 6 prong ones) and then get a diamond wedding band. In fact, that is what both MrsB and I currently wear. Her set is gorgeous! I want to show you how pretty a plain e-ring with a nice diamond band can look. Mine are in white metal (bottom picture) like you are planning.

mrs-bnewset1.jpg

mrs-bnewset2.jpg

img_12726.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh, but after looking at your enlarged picture, her current set has diamonds on the e-ring and the wedding band, so I think you were on the right track in the first place!! So I would stick with the Legato pave set!

(I think I never said that the reason I would not buy the JA stone is because it has a black inclusion right under the table.)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1474226295|4078121 said:
I'd do a 5 1/2, then. By any chance were you also able to hold the rings over the circles and verify that the current rings are about size 5? She is going to be sooo much happier with rings that fit!

I have a slight difference in preference than my friend MrsB, because I can go with either a plain solitaire or one with diamonds, but I always want a diamond wedding band. To her point that one plain and one with diamonds is more attractive, I would always go with a plain diamond solitaire (like the Legato without pave or one of the 6 prong ones) and then get a diamond wedding band. In fact, that is what both MrsB and I currently wear. Her set is gorgeous! I want to show you how pretty a plain e-ring with a nice diamond band can look. Mine are in white metal (bottom picture) like you are planning.

Agh! I am undone! How can I fight photos of my own set? :)

Obviously, I follow my own advice re 'one or the other'. I do stand by it, tho - diamonds on one, not both. And yes, I do prefer diamonds on the wedding band. But then again - I am of the 'daily ring cleaning' school.

ETA And - DS - that AVR of yours...oh, sweet mother of bling!! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, thanks, MrsB!! I think we are members of the mutual admiration society! I have worn a plain solitaire from the very beginning as well as a diamond band and just upgraded to similar rings! I may reset to a more antique style setting, but I it probably will remain a simple design. Daily ring cleaning...yep, gotta do it!

calin

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all - especially DS2006 and MrsB

I am about to buy the diamond, setting and pave wedding ring

Any last words??

Thanks

Calin

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
calin|1474300239|4078381 said:
Thanks to all - especially DS2006 and MrsB

I am about to buy the diamond, setting and pave wedding ring

Any last words??

Thanks

Calin

Yes! Plunge in boldly and enjoy the ride! This is where the fun starts. :bigsmile:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning choice! It's going to be a beautiful ring! Congrats on 30 years and please come back with some new hand shots!! :appl:

calin

Rough_Rock
Nervous
I have 24 hours

calin

Rough_Rock
Any reason not to move ahead with this diamond?

Should I be concerned about the circular marks best seen in the H&A Pic?

Thanks to ALL

1.133 ct H VS2 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Super Ideal Round Cut Loose Diamond

Depth % 61.4
Table % 56.0
Crown Angle 34.2
Star 50.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 15.0
Lower Girdle % 77.0
Measurements 6.70x6.72x4.12 mm
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Thin to Medium Faceted
HCA 1.1 / 3X / VG

_38305.jpg

_38306.jpg

_38307.jpg

_38308.jpg

calin

Rough_Rock
Re: 30 Year Anniversary Ring - NEED OPINION ON DIAMOND

Bump

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent choice!!! It will be a fabulous diamond!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No reason not to move ahead. It's a beautiful stone!

calin

Rough_Rock
Done thanks to everyone I will post pics when I get it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results