shape
carat
color
clarity

30-40k - Jared Galleria / Tiffany & Co. / Carribean Jeweler

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I just created my account to post a thread. I've spent days on and off reading new and old threads to help me along with my engagement ring purchase. I really want to buy a ring, and am ready to do it, but just cannot convince myself of where to buy it from. I am not concerned with "getting a good deal" because like anything else, I believe something is simply worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it. I understand retailers like Jared Galleria or Tiffany & Co. are going to be more expensive than independent dealers, online, and possibly overseas.

We have a friend (of a friend...) in the Carribean who everyone in our friend-circle go to buy engagement rings and expensive jewelry. His diamonds have certificates from various gem labs. Some are the disliked EGL, and some GIA. I have not seen an AGS from him, but I have only looked at 4 paper-diamonds so far. His pricing has always been far less than the retailers/jewelers in the States, because he gives us better pricing, or so it's said.

Before I go on about the Carribean jeweler, let me tell you that I've bought random jewelry in the past from Jared Galleria for my girlfriend. I realize some people think it's like buying jewelry at Walmart, but honestly they have nice stuff for little gifts. I gave them a shot at a diamond, and I am really surprised how nice they are. Their pricing seems to be in line with a bluenile.com, and shockingly are close to what my Carribean connection is pricing a similar paper-diamond.

Jared priced a 2.1ct., H, VS2, AGS0 (Ideal cut), Peerless (Jared's signature that means an Ideal cut diamond which passes an additional light-performance test. Meaning it is more brilliant than other ideal diamonds) for $32,900. I had Tiffany & Co. quote the same diamond, and they came in at $44,000. My Carribean connection gave me two prices: 1) 2.01ct, H, VS1, EGL Ideal cut 2006 for $31,300 and 2) 2.02ct., E, SI1, EGL Ideal cut 2007.

I told my Carribean guy that his pricing did not separate itself from retailers, on top of which his reports are from EGL who I learned was inferior to GIA/AGS. He dropped the price of the VS1/H to $28,900 from $31,300 including the mounting (knife-edge platinum band).

We have a couple friends who are very wealthy and purchased diamonds in the last 5 years for their wives, and I have quizzed them privately about what they did, how, and why. One of them went to the Carribean and purchased a 3ct. Canary (yellow) diamond and he thinks he got a great deal, and had the diamond verified in the States so he is confident it is as good as he thought. He believes he saved 20% or more buying from the Carribean. Another friend ended up buying from a name retailer in Diamond district in NY. He said ultimately his wife (fiancee at the time) wanted a specific type ring/diamond, and so he ended up getting that for her.

I'll be real honest with you, I don't have a strict budget, but I am expecting to pay between $30,000-$45,000 ish for this diamond, and I still don't have a solid idea of where to buy and why. I want to make up my mind sooner, so I can do this. I am excited, but completely unsure of what to buy, and where.

The retail stores have some perks which are interesting. The one in particular I like is how you can "upgrade" your purchase at a later date. This means you turn in your diamond, and as long as you spend twice as much as your original purchase or more, the original purchase price counts towards that purchase. I realize Diamonds are more expensive now than historically, so I thought if I "upgraded" at a later date when Diamond pricing lowers, then it would be quite a big upgrade. That is an appealing idea as well. The repair/replace policy is nice, but I'll have an insurance policy on it anyway, so I'm not sure if that makes it worthwhile. The cleaning/polishing/inspecting is a nice feature, and certainly pretty convenient, but I'm not sure it's worth the huge retail mark-up.

I don't know if this thread sounds "rambling" or if it is somewhat organized. If I left important things out, please let me know. I am just not sure what to do at this point. I have Jared holding the 2.1ct. H/VS2 for $32,900 while they're bringing in a $44,000 2.1ct. E/VS2 so I can see the difference. Before I jump into bed with Jared, I really need some of your help. I have seen GREAT advice in other threads, and am hopeful that someone says something that clicks, and helps me solidify my mind.

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my thread, and hopefully give me your opinion.

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock
Re: 30-40k - Jared Galleria / Tiffany & Co. / Carribean Jewe

I have the certificate for the Jared 2.1ct, and for the two EGL Carribean diamonds. I attached to this post.

Jared Diamond AGS.JPG

Attachments

• Carribean Diamonds EGL.pdf
    598.2 KB · Views: 118

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040399230006 I'd go with this. MUCH better upgrade policy. Precision cut super ideal stone. Sweet spot for all stats. And a gorgeous size. Higher color than you Jared option.

I'd put it in a lovely setting from BGD... they have a great selection of some beautiful settings:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5415 Solitaire

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5371 Three stone

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

Before I say what I want to say.. allow me to preface with: I realize that a good sales pitch, is a sales pitch that the customer (or soon to be customer) believes.

That being said, I hate to admit it, but Jared's sales pitch of 3rd party testing each "Ideal" diamond with a light performance test (which only some of them pass) and call them "Peerless" is a very intriguing sales pitch. It makes me think all Ideal cuts are certainly not as good as another one, and that some have more brilliance than others. This is a problem for me as well, because now when I see "Ideal" I think "yeah, but I don't know if it's as good as Peerless or not."

Bad, right?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Those prices don't seem too bad (Jared's), though if you have any interest in a upgrade policy, I'm not sure I'd go with a jeweler in the Caribbean. Have you checked with any PS vendors? Might be worth a phone call or two.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Check out some of these videos to help you decide what your eyes like. Color/Clarity/faceting pattern and light return are all very important and can't be picked on numbers alone (although RB are easier to pick on numbers). The Jared peerless IMO is over priced but if you like the idea of having it done local, it's a well cut stone. Also, most of their sale staff don't know more than the basic 4 C's.Some of their settings are okay and their customer service has had issues after everything has been bought before, although other people have had great luck.

And IMO if your going to spend that kind of money, you want people who will be honest with you, who really know their stuff and who is going to do the work with you/for you.

I would call Jonathan at www.goodgoldgold.com he's in long island and is a class act to deal with. Carries anything you can imagine, makes high def. comparison videos, custom makes settings. He knows his stuff inside and out and goes above and beyond to make sure you are getting 1000% what you want (as do other great vendors here).

Here are some of his videos he's done (also good to check out the different designer setting styles, custom stuff he's done and IMO the most amazing cut stone ever...the August vintage round)

http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondInfoMan

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock

I would stay away from the Caribbean connection and go with the BGD stone Gypsy posted. Or Jared's if you really want to go with them, but the upgrade policy does seem to be important to you.
I'd only go with the Tiffany's if you REALLY REALLY want a specific setting from them that you don't wish to have a replica of (since you can only get one of their settings if you buy the stone as well).

And you're right about the sales pitch. Nice eh? For one, an EGL ideal is NOT the same as an AGS ideal. So, once again, caution with the Caribbean connection.
But an AGS ideal from Jared's would be the same as the AGS ideal Brian cuts. AGS is an independent, highly regarded, & consistent grading lab. They grade for any stone. (ETA: well, except for clarity-filled enhancements, I think)

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock

vintagelover229|1314911502|3007720 said:
Check out some of these videos to help you decide what your eyes like. Color/Clarity/faceting pattern and light return are all very important and can't be picked on numbers alone (although RB are easier to pick on numbers). The Jared peerless IMO is over priced but if you like the idea of having it done local, it's a well cut stone. Also, most of their sale staff don't know more than the basic 4 C's.Some of their settings are okay and their customer service has had issues after everything has been bought before, although other people have had great luck.

And IMO if your going to spend that kind of money, you want people who will be honest with you, who really know their stuff and who is going to do the work with you/for you.

I would call Jonathan at www.goodgoldgold.com he's in long island and is a class act to deal with. Carries anything you can imagine, makes high def. comparison videos, custom makes settings. He knows his stuff inside and out and goes above and beyond to make sure you are getting 1000% what you want (as do other great vendors here).

Here are some of his videos he's done (also good to check out the different designer setting styles, custom stuff he's done and IMO the most amazing cut stone ever...the August vintage round)

I also agree with checking out GOG!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nate36bus|1314911278|3007715 said:
Before I say what I want to say.. allow me to preface with: I realize that a good sales pitch, is a sales pitch that the customer (or soon to be customer) believes.

That being said, I hate to admit it, but Jared's sales pitch of 3rd party testing each "Ideal" diamond with a light performance test (which only some of them pass) and call them "Peerless" is a very intriguing sales pitch. It makes me think all Ideal cuts are certainly not as good as another one, and that some have more brilliance than others. This is a problem for me as well, because now when I see "Ideal" I think "yeah, but I don't know if it's as good as Peerless or not."

Bad, right?

All AGS stones with a ideal for light performance will be just that. The Peerless stone is a precision cut ideal... like Hearts on Fire, Lazare Kaplan, the BGD Signature line, Infinity Diamonds, and Good Old Gold's Hearts and Arrows.

Not all ideal cuts are the same. That is TRUE. But with the above... you are comparing apples to apples. Stay away from EGL and the Caribbean jewelers, I can't tell you how many horror stories I've seen on here about purchases made there in my 6 years on this board.

I personally love the Tiffany three stone with pears and the Lucida... if there is a specific Tiffany setting you want or cut... go for it. But if she doesn't care about the name and doesn't want an authentic Tiffany setting... you can find beautiful stones and gorgeous settings elsewhere.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

*Twinkle*twinkle*|1314911649|3007724 said:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8292/ You have to check if it eyeclean via phone or email.

And GOG carries Vatche and this is a lovely setting by them: http://www.goodoldgold.com/images/settings/Vatche%20Files%20w%203%20view%20large%20file/187%20CAROLINE%20ROUND%20CTR/187%20caroline%20round%20ctr%203%20view%20large.jpg

GOG also has a better upgrade policy than Jareds.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

HI Nate,
Congrats on being the guy buying such a stone- I'm sure she's going to be thrilled!

Light performance= Sales pitch.
So in that regard, you made a very good point about sales pitches.
Any test of "light performance" is limited to what a machine can test.
There's no machine that can test how a diamond performs like the human eye.

Not to say that sellers using these tools are doing anything wrong per se- but as you point out, sales pitch and science are not the same thing.

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1314912523|3007734 said:
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1314911649|3007724 said:
vintagelover229|1314911502|3007720 said:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8292/ You have to check if it eyeclean via phone or email.

And GOG carries Vatche and this is a lovely setting by them: http://www.goodoldgold.com/images/settings/Vatche%20Files%20w%203%20view%20large%20file/187%20CAROLINE%20ROUND%20CTR/187%20caroline%20round%20ctr%203%20view%20large.jpg

GOG also has a better upgrade policy than Jareds.

What makes the Carribean more attractive, is he sent me three GIA reports also. The prices were 49k, 61.5k, and 75.9k is the problem. So I could tell him I only am interested in GIA/AGS reports and see what that yields. What do you think?

Also, my gf has mentioned multiple times that she likes the 6 prong look, which I don't know if it is Tiffany exclusive, but she definitely liked the Tiffany knife-edge and 6-prong. Jared said they can make the same ring (knife-edge) but I have doubts that it'll be the same.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

i also ditto and thritto the suggestions to go with GOG or BGD or WF. i think you would get more for your money, with greater peace of mind about what you are getting and what you are paying, as well as great upgrade policies.

also, be sure you understand without a doubt what you would be getting with Jared's upgrade policy - if you go back there ask to see it in writing (because i have read here that some of their SAs will say one thing, only to discover they were misinformed or just glossing over teh truth once customers bought the diamond and got the policy in writing). my understanding is that you have to have the ring checked by them every 6 months or it voids the upgrade... even if you miss the 6 month mark by a day! also, don't they require a certain amount spent above what you spent, like double even? with GOG i believe there is no limit, so the upgraded diamond can cost $1 more than what you originally spent (if it is one of their lifetime diamonds).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaires/?page=all Closest to the Tiffany original from BGD

Two others with different shanks for comfort but the same head:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5540 This is the one I like

and

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5478

But if you want to know which 6 prong most of us would chose... it would be a six prong by Mark Morrell... here's my favorite of his settings: Petite Torcheire with a 2 carat center stone (you can get it with or without diamonds in the head)

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

rainydaze|1314913709|3007745 said:
i also ditto and thritto the suggestions to go with GOG or BGD or WF. i think you would get more for your money, with greater peace of mind about what you are getting and what you are paying, as well as great upgrade policies.

also, be sure you understand without a doubt what you would be getting with Jared's upgrade policy - if you go back there ask to see it in writing (because i have read here that some of their SAs will say one thing, only to discover they were misinformed or just glossing over teh truth once customers bought the diamond and got the policy in writing). my understanding is that you have to have the ring checked by them every 6 months or it voids the upgrade... even if you miss the 6 month mark by a day! also, don't they require a certain amount spent above what you spent, like double even? with GOG i believe there is no limit, so the upgraded diamond can cost $1 more than what you originally spent (if it is one of their lifetime diamonds).

You are right based on my experience thus far. Like I said, I have some random jewelry. But it's not as bad as you think. Especially for a younger couple, without extensive previous experience. We have it on our calendar to bring it in for cleaning/inspection. It is nice because we bring it in, get it all cleaned up which makes a big difference (really could use it every 3 or 4 months probably). And when the bracelet was snagged, or maybe bent, they will fix that kind of stuff while it is there. I realize the engagement ring is different than a $400 bracelet that can bend when caught on clothes.

The upgrade is double I believe. The perk here is Jared is 1300+ branches, huge company, less likely to go out of business, or disappear than a low profile business or diamond dealer. Much more stability and reassurance. That brings clout to their policies, in my mind. I am currently reading these websites, and watching the videos. These are great, can't wait to see where this all takes me. Thanks so far all.

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

Wow that Mike Morell ring is awesome! The diamonds on the underside make it really unique. I just know my gf liked that knife-edge a lot.

A friend told me "some people are meant to pay retail" which makes me hate him, haha, because I can see my tendency is to take the "easy way out" and buy an overpriced, overhyped ring from Tiffany's/Jared's. I'm hoping this thread either confirms what I need to hear, or pulls me in another direction.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nate36bus|1314914335|3007752 said:
Wow that Mike Morell ring is awesome! The diamonds on the underside make it really unique. I just know my gf liked that knife-edge a lot.

A friend told me "some people are meant to pay retail" which makes me hate him, haha, because I can see my tendency is to take the "easy way out" and buy an overpriced, overhyped ring from Tiffany's/Jared's. I'm hoping this thread either confirms what I need to hear, or pulls me in another direction.

Mark makes each ring to order for each individual stone. He's an true craftsman. He has several knife edge designs (The Flame for example) and can adapt any design to a knife edge shank. Keep in mind... she may like the look, but many find knife edge shanks very hard to wear and uncomfortable. And just because she likes the knife edge doesn't mean she won't love a rounded shank too-- if it's on the right ring.

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/ Mark's website.

DonnaH

Rough_Rock

That MArk Morrel ring is incredible...a 6 prong with a twist. I think your GF would appreciate all your research!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I haven't read all of the replies yet, but I totally second the goodoldgold.com suggestion. We bought my engagement diamond from them and they have an excellent trade-in policy. All their "lifetime guarantee" diamonds are eligible for trade-in for an equal or higher price diamond; none of that 2x the price stuff. And they have a fantastic buy back policy on "lifetime guarantee" diamonds where they will buy back your diamond for 75% of what you paid for it. More info here: http://www.goodoldgold.com/About_Good_Old_Gold/Policies/.

And if you're a fan of documentation, you'll love Good Old Gold's. My diamond came with an AGS cert., hearts and arrows images (as well as a H&A viewer), DiamXRay image, ASET image, Sarin, Gemex light performance report, GIA Facetware report, and a helium report. Not that all of that is necessary, but it is pretty neat to have.

jsb1976

Rough_Rock

If you are spending this amount of money on a ring and you want overpay and have an overhyped brand name, go with Tiffany, or Cartier,or Harry Winston. The brand name ,Jared, just does not invoke the romance or passion associated with Tiffany or Cartier.

If you wish to spend a little time on the phone,have a more involved experience, as well as purchase the best stone your money can buy... I recommend contacting Brian Gavin Diamonds ( where I purchased my girlfriends diamond), or Good Old Gold. There are several respectable vendors on the forum, the ones listed above I have had personal experience with.

Either way, best wishes on your quest for a ring.

jsb1976

Rough_Rock

If you are spending this amount of money on a ring and you want overpay and have an overhyped brand name, go with Tiffany, or Cartier,or Harry Winston. The brand name ,Jared, just does not invoke the romance or passion associated with Tiffany or Cartier.

If you wish to spend a little time on the phone,have a more involved experience, as well as purchase the best stone your money can buy... I recommend contacting Brian Gavin Diamonds ( where I purchased my girlfriends diamond), or Good Old Gold. There are several respectable vendors on the forum, the ones listed above I have had personal experience with.

Either way, best wishes on your quest for a ring.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

seems you are interested in the carribean route since it's a deal? There are certainly deals (relatively speaking to B&M) from PS vendors. Highly suggest starting here and seeing if you can get soemthing bigger/better

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

centralsquare|1314942685|3008086 said:
seems you are interested in the carribean route since it's a deal? There are certainly deals (relatively speaking to B&M) from PS vendors. Highly suggest starting here and seeing if you can get soemthing bigger/better
I’m not getting that at all. It looks to me like he’s considering the folks in the Caribbean because he’s worked with them before, has been happy with the results, has friends who have been happy shopping there, and he trusts their system. These are terrific reasons to pick a particular jeweler. Something else may come along to convince him to go elsewhere but starting with that as a baseline is an entirely reasonable idea and better than most. It’s not the address that makes good jewelers good. I tend to have a chip on my shoulder about Caribbean jewelers because there are so many that seem to be problems but there’s nothing fundamentally wrong about setting up shop there any more than there’s anything wrong with setting up shop on 47 street in NYC. At the end of the day it’s the character of the people behind the keyboard/counter that makes the difference.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I would pass on Jareds. When we first started to look at diamonds (before we found PS), we looked there and it is hard to buy a diamond from people who only know the basic 4 C's...even the manager. PS has definitely educated me on my diamond shopping abilites. With that said I would contact GOG, BGD or Whiteflash to see what they have in your price range. These companies are tried and tested so you don't have to worry about them going out of business. They have better trade up policys and well, no offense to anyone who bought from jareds, but it definitly a little more refined..at least to me. A 6 prong knife edge setting is very popular and many of the PS vendors (and non PS vendors) can do it and in many cases do a much better job then Tiffanys.

I would pass on Tiffanys just because I think their quality is going downhill :nono: I have seen some of their legacy rings and I'm really dissapointed in the workmanship they are putting out lately. I also think they are expensive. If I'm paying for a diamond then that is what I want. But with Tiffany you are paying for the name and the little blue box.

I would also pass on the Carribean jeweler because there is no trade up policy.

Just my .02 cents.

As a side note I have a RB 2.04ct diamond set into a 6 prong setting and love it. It is very secure for people who are hard on their jewelry.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

kindred|1314921045|3007823 said:
I haven't read all of the replies yet, but I totally second the goodoldgold.com suggestion. We bought my engagement diamond from them and they have an excellent trade-in policy. All their "lifetime guarantee" diamonds are eligible for trade-in for an equal or higher price diamond; none of that 2x the price stuff. And they have a fantastic buy back policy on "lifetime guarantee" diamonds where they will buy back your diamond for 75% of what you paid for it. More info here: http://www.goodoldgold.com/About_Good_Old_Gold/Policies/.

And if you're a fan of documentation, you'll love Good Old Gold's. My diamond came with an AGS cert., hearts and arrows images (as well as a H&A viewer), DiamXRay image, ASET image, Sarin, Gemex light performance report, GIA Facetware report, and a helium report. Not that all of that is necessary, but it is pretty neat to have.
I could not agree more with this.

I also think if you're spending this kind of money and DON'T want to buy from a vendor we suggested already, go with Tiffany or Cartier or sometihng. Jared is NOT the place I'd drop 30G on a ring. I also don't think I'd buy from this "Friend" either. And if he ever asks why you didn't buy from him, simply state "she had specifically asked for xx ring and I didn't want to stray from that!"

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock

I like to have control of my decisions and, by extension, my wallet. I avoid gimmicky salespeople who try to tell me what I should do with my money and decision-making power. Not all shops, not all salespeople are like that, but it can be the norm in your locale.

We have a couple of family-owned stores in my town whose staff aren't pushy, pretty knowledgeable, and interested in educating me. Their prices tend to be a little high and selection a little low, but it's nice going in and visiting. I will end up getting my e-ring done through the mail; nevertheless, I hope to get a piece or two from the local shop some day.

We have a Jared's -- I chuckled when the college kid behind the counter told me that I should go to "that other store" because they "have stores all over the country." We're obviously better at what we do," he said.

Too big too fail?

Anyway, at the end of the day, it distills down to this:

1. Get a diamond that is graded accurately (so, you know what you're actually buying) that meets your budget and expectations
2. Get a setting that makes you and your bride-to-be happy whenever you look at it.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is a nice looking stone at GOG if it's eye clean (I just grabbed the biggest in your budget, there is a lot more to choose from than this)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8292/

And just to show you the faceting pattern difference visually compared to a traditional ideal cut diamond (this is an ideal cut for different faceting pattern, more vintage and chunky but it looks like a flower to me) here is a nice big honker to show you what they look like

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8140/

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

+1 BGD/GOG/WF

If I live near one of the above vendors I wouldn't even bother with other stores. The quality of the diamonds and workmanship of the rings I bought from BGD far exceed anything I have seen in stores.

If you prefer more retail locations and a bigger brand name, I suggest Cartier over Tiffany. From what I have seen at multiple locations on 2 continents, customer service, diamond quality, and ring workmanship are consistently better at Cartier.

aquanaut

Shiny_Rock

I was recently playing with a similar range of budget as yours. See my thread with what I ended up going with.

I was primarily looking for a diamond between 2.5-2.99 cts because then you are getting a diamond that is visually almost a 3ct but does not come with the 3ct pricing bracket (which is a HUGE jump).

I would highly consider this diamond if eye clean (VS2 is eye clean most of the time):

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1395506.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

chicam

Shiny_Rock

I'd go with Good Old Gold if I were you. Jonathan is a class act and goes over, above and beyond to get you a stunning stone, at a fair competitive price with excellent upgrade policies. What more can anyone ask. I am dealing with him currently and I'm very pleased, and I am not easily pleased.
The OP seems bent on Jared or the Carribean contact however. If you are more comfortable with those routes, by all means do it. You must be comfortable with your decision at the end of the day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results