carat
color
clarity

3 year old is addicted to tv!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 9:19:56 PM
Author: part gypsy
Thanks folks, it''s interesting to hear people''s perspectives. Managed to keep everyone occupied for the evening without watching tv, kids finally in bed. I want to just lay in my new bed and read a book, but have a huge pile of laundry to fold and put away first
8.gif

Guess I''ll see everyone in the new pricescope a couple days from now!
Ah, just push it off onto the floor and go to sleep
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate to say this - but the answer might actually be to reduce the amount she watches. She needs to learn how to play with other things and her imagination. This is actually best learned if you or another adult gets down and plays with her. A lot.

But... it''s easier said than done... I have 8 and 10 year old boys who want to live and breathe by the wii.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 2:25:04 PM
Author: dreamer_d
I will be honest, my child will not watch 2-4 hours of TV per day at age 3. I don''t like TV for kids, it is passive spoon fed entertainment and does not allow them to explore their environments and learn on their own. We have a house rule that the TV is not allowed to be on when the kiddo is around, he is now 15 months. That rule gets bent by his father sometimes, but I pick my battles
2.gif
If he is sick we might watch a some kids shows together, maybe for 15-20 minutes or something.

I suppose you have to figure it out for yourself and what is best for your own family, though, as with everything about parenting.
Careful Dreamer, lol I say this thinking of me and mcdonalds. I was just like you about mcdonalds - my child would NEVER eat there. Ever. She didn''t until she was 5 and there was cousin pressure... I said to myself, "just this once..." My 2nd child was 2 before he ate anything from there and my 3rd one was about 4 months old when his 2 1/2 year old brother stuck french fries in his mouth. THANKFULLY none of them really like it now (and to be honest here in china I have gone more than I ever did in the states just because sometimes I need that bit of home and I don''t have a lot of home to choose from ::sigh
5.gif
Normally I go about 2-3x a year but I''ve already been about 5 times in 7 months.

It IS possible to stick to your guns, but you have no idea how difficult that may be as you continue down the road, so be careful of absolutes :) My first lived up to my expectations and I was able to continue being the ''perfect parent'' to her and I was a snob about it lol My second humbled me to the core - and in some ways I think the kids born after I lost my perfection are better off for it...

... still I am a HUGE anti-fan of what I call push button entertainment... unfortunately for me my husband thinks he should actually have a say in how we raise our children
6.gif
And the darn kids influence each other now too ::babbles::
3.gif

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Do not worry. How many of us grew up watching television as much as we wanted? My mom has told me I used to stay up late to watch Johnny Carson when I was 4. I spoke early, did well in school am not heavy. I can''t think of a single negative effect it had on me. In fact, I think television helps children to learn.

I now prefer books to t.v. as an adult. I watch a lot of dvd movies because there''s not much on t.v. that I want to see and we don''t have cable.

As a parent, only you can decide how much is too much and what shows are age appropriate. A parenting magazine or a book shouldn''t be used to set your guidelines IMHO. Other parents shouldn''t influence you either, only you know what you are comfortable with.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''ve posted this in another thread I''m sure, but thought it was relevant here.

When I was a kid, I was allowed 30 minutes of TV per day. I had to choose my show ahead of time and turn away friends if they showed up during "TV time."

Since living on my own I''ve become a TVaholic. I really believe it''s because it was so forbidden throughout my childhood. I watch(ed) stupid stuff like Full House and Mash, all the things that were on EVERY DAY but I had never seen.

DH is also a TVaholic and I believe that''s because that''s pretty much all he did as a child. He was 6 months old and his mom would put him in a seat in front of the TV for HOURS while she did house work.

Both extremes are inappropriate, IMO. You''ve gotta shoot for something in the middle. (Not necessarily at 3 yrs old, but in general)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results