shape
carat
color
clarity

3 stone setting -- small diamond leaves gaps?? Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amanda_kate34

Rough_Rock
Hi,

My boyfriend asked me to help him choose/design an engagement ring (very happy about him including me)! We''ve been looking at 3 stone settings with a RB center diamond (about 0.5 carats) and pear-shaped sapphire side stones (5x3mm). I am perfectly happy with a smaller carat stone - I typically don''t wear any jewelery, I work with my hands a lot, and we''re also hoping to keep the budget under $3000.

So the problem we''ve found is that the "standard" 3-stone settings on sites like Blue Nile, or Diamond.com, are built to accomodate much bigger center diamonds than what we''re looking for. Then, when a 0.5 carat stone is put in the center, it leaves these big gaps between the center stone and the side pears. Is this a typical problem? Is it fixable? Would a customized ring be able to change this? Am I just being silly and it looks fine?

here''s a picture of the virtual ring-designer from Blue Nile: http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=2381&filter_id=1

Also, does the ratio of a 0.5 carat diamond look okay with these 5x3mm sapphires?

Everything feels a bit new, and this is the ring setting I like best, but I want to make sure I''m not making any big mistakes with my choices...

Also, is BlueNile''s pricing decent?

This is the diamond I''ve been looking at - it''s listed as $1,941

carat: 0.50
cut: ideal
color: F
clarity: VVS2
depth: 62.5%
table: 58%
symmetry: vey good
polish: very good
girdle: medium to slightly thick
culet: none
fluorescence: none
measurements: 5.05 x 5.10 x 3.17mm

Thanks, I''d really appreciate any advice people could give : )

Amanda

bn ring.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amanda_kate, what a happy time!

The head has to be close to the size of your stone. You can't fit a .5 ct in a 1 ct head. I've heard BN setting can be a little sloppy.

On the stone you picked, you should post the link so we have more information. But just looking, I'm not loving the 62.5% depth. And I'm hating the 41.4 pavilion angle.

Found the stone: http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00313422&filter_id=0

And this would be a much better choice for a stone: http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00462670&filter_id=0

amanda_kate34

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for answering!

A few questions - I''m realizing how clueless I am about this!

-would a local jeweler be able to put any size head on a ring? would an online jeweler be able to?

-what is the pavillion angle? where did you find that piece of information? what "should" it optimally be?

Thanks!!!

Amanda

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2006 3:41:58 PM
Author: amanda_kate34
Thanks so much for answering!

A few questions - I''m realizing how clueless I am about this!

-would a local jeweler be able to put any size head on a ring? would an online jeweler be able to?

-what is the pavillion angle? where did you find that piece of information? what ''should'' it optimally be?

Thanks!!!

Amanda
-yes and yes
-there is a picture here that shows the diagram: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/crn_pav.asp If I am going to be picky about pavilion angle, I think 40.7-40.9 is very very safe.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
The thing about the BN setting you have posted is that it''s not a true "custom" ring. What I mean is that it''s made to accomodate a number of different sized heads...I think it''s similar to a "peg" style head. With a 1/2 carat stone, I''m worried that there will always be a gap even with the right sized head in the middle.

The round brilliant with pear shaped sides is one of my favorites. I do favor the more custom looking settings though. Instead of a peg style head being plopped in, custom designs tend to have a more integrated look.

Here is a similar ring I found on Dimend Scassi''s site. It has a pear shaped center though. I''m sure they could work with you to do a round one though. See how the profile of the gallery is different? The center is moe like a basket and doesn''t come to one point like a peg head does.
http://www.dimendscassi.com/engagement/3stone/pages/1BB.asp

1BB_large.jpg

Here''s one with all diamonds. Basically I''m sure any of the vendors here on PS can make the ring for you. I think it''s doable for under $3000 total.

1BA_large_2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know from other posted on here that Scaasi custom makes-- completely-- all his settings (well except the designer ones obviously) top fit the actual diamonds you are buying. So I definitely recommend gving them a look. You can get a lovely ring from them at simliar prices to blue nile and the others. Plus, honestly, I trust the Scaasi customer service more.
3.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have the setting that you like except mine is from diamond.com and I have a 1.03 carat radiant as the center stone. Even with my stone size there''s a gap between the center stone and the sides that bothers me. I just deal with it though because I don''t want to spend the $$ to get it custom made to look exactly right. I don''t know if the bluenile setting is exactly the same as the diamond.com one, but if it is, you will have a gap. If you''re a picky person, it will bother you. The Diamond Scassi one looks better, and I think there''s other PS vendors that would custom make this setting for you without the gap. I don''t know how much it will cost though.

amanda_kate34

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for giving your advice : )

I really appreciate so many people who have no monetary profit to gain being so helpful!

Coda72 -- thank you especially since you have this engagement ring : ) I am in fact one of those silly, obsessive people, and I think I''ll take your advice and get it custom-done, since a gap would drive me nuts!

Also, just another quick question for Coda72, or anyone else who knows sapphires...

Did you just go with the sapphires Diamond.com suggested "the side stones will complement your center stone in size and quality"? Does this really mean something? As I''ve been trying to read about sapphires, it seems like there is no exact rating system based on the 4C''s like there is for diamonds... is that true? Then how do you pick, or how does a store say they are of "comparable" quality??

If I''m going to be building my ring with a face-to-face jeweler, what do I ask for when it comes to the sapphires?

Thanks again,

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 8:11:51 AM
Author: amanda_kate34

Did you just go with the sapphires Diamond.com suggested ''the side stones will complement your center stone in size and quality''? Does this really mean something? As I''ve been trying to read about sapphires, it seems like there is no exact rating system based on the 4C''s like there is for diamonds... is that true? Then how do you pick, or how does a store say they are of ''comparable'' quality??

If I''m going to be building my ring with a face-to-face jeweler, what do I ask for when it comes to the sapphires?

Thanks again,
Although I have sapphires in both my e-ring and wedding ring, I don''t know much about sapphires. I know diamond.com doesn''t allow you to handpick your sapphires, they just put your center diamond in their standard setting. My sapphires are about .25 carats each, and I like how they look with my stone.

And you''re right about there being no exact rating system for sapphires. Mine are a bit darker colored than I''d like, but as I said, I''m just not going to spend all the $$ it would cost for a new setting. If you have a local jeweler you like, you could work with them, and it might be easier. They would bring in different matched sets of sapphires for you to see, and you could pick the ones you like the best. Some sapphires are lighter and some are darker. I like ones that are more medium blue in color than darker blue, but you''ll have to see what you prefer.

I had a local jeweler make my wedding band, and he matched the stones in my e-ring and my wedding band pretty well. The wedding band stones are maybe a little bit lighter, but not noticeable under most circumstances.

I hope this helps! Good luck with getting the e-ring you want!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results