shape
carat
color
clarity

3 stone ring vs 5 stone ring

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
For those of you who have had both or have both currently, which one do you find to wear more and why?
I always thought that I would get a 3 stone ring for my anniversary (20th coming up) but lately I am wondering if a 5 stone might be more wearable. Less like an e-ring and more of a daily wear ring.
It would be great to get some thoughts on one or the other!
Thanks!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I've often wondered about that too, so thanks for posting! I don't have either a three stone or a five, so I don't have any info to share, but I'm looking forward to seeing what other people say.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two totally different things! A 3 stone is normally a more significant ring with a larger center and two smaller sides. Then a 5 stone is often either 5 smaller stones all the same size (such as .30-.40 each) or slightly graduated. To add 2 extra stones on the ends of a 3 stone with large center is overkill and takes away from the center stone, as far as I am concerned.

So I can see having both a 2ctw 5 stone ring with .40 ct stones and then another 3 stone ring with a large center with smaller sides. @MissGotRocks is the perfect example having both of these rings!

I only have a 5 stone ring and use it in place of my wedding set when I don't wear my solitaire and wedding band. I am considering setting my AVR in a three stone, but not sure yet.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DS - @eesmom I do have both. The three stone ring is in my avatar and it is my engagement ring. The five stone band is a right hand ring which I received many years ago for an anniversary. I wear them both daily and find both to be very comfortable. The five stone ring is by Memoire and is set very low and curves around the finger so there is no pinching in between fingers. Some are set higher or the ends not as curved and I can't vouch for their comfort. I just know that for me if it is not comfortable, it wouldn't get worn!

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
@diamondseeker2006, I think that is what I am understand to be true the more I think about the 3 ring vs 5 ring dilemma. Initially I had thought that I was going to use my 1ct RB as my center stone and get 2 smaller diamonds and make a 3 stone ring. But I really like the idea of a 5 stone ring/band with alternating sapphires as well. Hmm, maybe now that I am writing this out, I could get both? :)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
A five stone with a one carat middle would be somewhat uncommon in a good way - www It is easy to imagine one with sapphires o o o

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your anniversary!! I think it depends on which hand you plan to wear it. If it is a RHR, i vote for a 5 stone, bc it looks more like a celebration ring. If its for the left hand, id lean more towards getting a 3 stone.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
@MissGotRocks , your 3 stone ring is stunning! I bet you get lots I’d compliments on it! I think your advice on the 5 stone ring to be slightly curved is a good one, and also setting it low so that it will be comfortable. My current e-ring is set kind of high and I do notice that it flips around some when my finger shrinks in the wintertime.
@AV_ , do you think a 1 ct center might be too big for a 5 stone ring if my finger size is a 4.5?
@meesmom, I think I am leaning slightly more towards a 5 stone.

lolas_mommy

Rough_Rock
For my 20th, my DH wanted to buy me a diamond. I knew I wanted a ring, but not sure what kind. I too considered a 5 stone or a 3 stone. I knew I wanted to wear it on my right hand because I still wanted to wear my pear wedding set. In the end, I choose a 3 stone with a 1.26 center because I wanted to get a large diamond, but not so large as to upstage my engagement ring. The total carat weight of my 3 stone is just under 2 carats and I wear it every day.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@AV_, do you think a 1 ct center might be too big for a 5 stone ring if my finger size is a 4.5?

No. I think I could fit all on my size three. (I am more about step cuts, but this is a happy idea!)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I previously had two 3-stones and they were so well-balanced, no spinning, still featured the center diamond as the main event. A 5, for me, feels more like a band and something too much going on IMO... if more than 3, I say go half eternity.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissGotRocks , your 3 stone ring is stunning! I bet you get lots I’d compliments on it! I think your advice on the 5 stone ring to be slightly curved is a good one, and also setting it low so that it will be comfortable. My current e-ring is set kind of high and I do notice that it flips around some when my finger shrinks in the wintertime.
@AV_ , do you think a 1 ct center might be too big for a 5 stone ring if my finger size is a 4.5?
@meesmom, I think I am leaning slightly more towards a 5 stone.

Thanks for the compliment - it does get its fair share of notice and I have enjoyed having it.

Both of my rings flip some in the colder winter weather. However, if I put on lotion first, let it dry and then put on my rings, they don't slip anymore. I do that routinely in the winter anyway but of course, after the first hand washing the lotion is gone!

If you do a one carat center in a five stone, then I assume you are talking about the other four stones being graduated in size?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Throwing this into the mix:
I do not have a 3 stone ring or a 5 stone ring.
I have a suite of 7 vintage cut Asschers by Yoram @ GemConcepts, Ltd.
I will be creating an anniversary band in which to set them.
Each stone is dimensionally similar in size, almost exactly.
I have seen a graduated 5 stone anniversary band, and they are lovely, but none that I’ve seen have a center diamond that weighs 1ct+. However, that’s not to say that it’s not possible, or that it won’t be beautiful, if paired with the right, complimentary, graduated sizes to fit the center stone.
It will be helpful to visit a local jeweler (when it’s safe) to try on different styles to see what aesthetically appeals to you.
Also, to determine comfort. ;)2

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@headlight, is there a reason that you don’t have the 3 stone rings anymore?

Reasons for changing had nothing to do with being 3-stones.

The first one was 3 rounds .75-1.50-.75

i then traded that 1.50 (1.51) for a 3.29 round, which I did with trillions on each side.

But then I got halo fever so I set the 3.29 into the halo.

Then I traded the 3.29 for the stone in my avatar and just did solitaire.

I do love 3-stones very much and if I were to change settings I would do another 3-stone. I definitely miss having 1 and when I see a beautiful one here I am envious!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
For those of you who have had both or have both currently, which one do you find to wear more and why?
I always thought that I would get a 3 stone ring for my anniversary (20th coming up) but lately I am wondering if a 5 stone might be more wearable. Less like an e-ring and more of a daily wear ring.
Thanks!

I’ve had both, at the same time. The three stone was my ering (I wear a halo now) and the graduated five stone was a RHR. I think of the five stone as more a stand alone ring, but that’s just my preference.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Here is a sample of 5 stone vs 3 stone so you’ll see the difference:

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Here is a sample of 5 stone vs 3 stone so you’ll see the difference:

Holy moly! That 3 stone is crazy big! I definitely don’t think I could pull that off. The 5 stone does seem more manageable though.
@Matthews1127,a seven stone asscher will be so pretty! Please post pics when it is made.=)2

@MissGotRocks , I definitely would get the other stones graduated. I think comfort and manageability would be important to me. If the ring isn’t comfortable, I tend to not wear them.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
@joelly , that 3 stone would be a showstopper though! ;)2

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

My vote is for the three stone ring! I have had both and the five stone looks more like an anniversary band.

Last edited:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a three stone engagement ring ( my avatar) and have a fivestone in production (5 @ .44/.45). The two pictures below are of my threestone with friend’s rings...the smaller one is .26/.27 each and .44/.45 each. Love them both! 00FC04B8-D1FC-44A6-8E95-BDADFA675B64.jpeg

Attachments

• 84B6AEBF-AD25-4707-94CA-E1318813D1C5.jpeg
    84B6AEBF-AD25-4707-94CA-E1318813D1C5.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 104

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a three stone engagement ring ( my avatar) and have a fivestone in production (5 @ .44/.45). The two pictures below are of my threestone with friend’s rings...the smaller one is .26/.27 each and .44/.45 each. Love them both! 00FC04B8-D1FC-44A6-8E95-BDADFA675B64.jpeg

Stunning! Bling, bling!

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
@rocks , wow! Beautiful 3 stone! Will you be wearing your 3 stone with your new 5 stone ring that is coming?

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@rocks , wow! Beautiful 3 stone! Will you be wearing your 3 stone with your new 5 stone ring that is coming?

Not likely, but it’s nice to know that I can.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel had a beautiful five stone with a larger diamond in the middle. I thought it was stunning. I hopefully she doesn’t mind me posting a picture of it. Perhaps she will stop by and give you her opinion and expert advice... :)
C5BC0C85-5D9B-4B1E-A168-EA16925E9836.jpeg

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
@Niel had a beautiful five stone with a larger diamond in the middle. I thought it was stunning. I hopefully she doesn’t mind me posting a picture of it. Perhaps she will stop by and give you her opinion and expert advice... :)
C5BC0C85-5D9B-4B1E-A168-EA16925E9836.jpeg

so pretty! I hope she does so I could get some stats on her stones and ring size as well

joelly

Ideal_Rock

This setting is what dreams made off.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have both a 3 stone and a 5 stone ring, and I wear the 3 stone one a lot more. My 3 stone is over 4 carats total weight and the 5 stone is 1 carat total weight. Here’s a pic of both rings together even though I never wear them like this. EE00E18B-E5BE-4BCB-B021-A885E44C5A6E.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results