shape
carat
color
clarity

3 stone ring to 5 stone ring?

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
Hello Fellow Ice Addicts,

Well, it's that time again. That time when I get greedy and want more, more, more.

So this time, I'm considering turning my 3 stone emerald cut e-ring into a 5 stone ring, a la Leone Mege. I value your opinions and was wondering if you think this would look great or terrible? Does anyone out there have a 5 stone? If so, please share pics.

The first ring is mine, and the other two are rings I like:

my_ring_1.jpg

screen_shot_2016-04-15_at_9.png

screen_shot_2016-04-15_at_9_0.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's beautiful and if you have the funds than I'd go for it. It'll be expensive though.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That upgrade is killer! Go for it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, if you have the funds go for it...it really is a gorgeous setting.

baublelove

Rough_Rock
A 5 stone ring is a gorgeous look, especially when the proportions of the side stones are well-matched. I've seen some outside of LM's work that were a bit clunky due to the side stones being too large and off angle in proportion to the center stone.

One of my all time favorite 5 stones on PS was Erica D's, which now belongs to another PSer. I fall in love with this seamless and graceful ring every time I see it. Note how the diamonds are the stars here and the metal work is almost unnoticeable.

What's the size of your center?

ericasasscher2.jpg

ericasasscher3.jpg

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I happen to adore the five stone style. I like it so well that I had one made with a pink spinel and one with a blue. I used LM for the first and SK for the second. That said your ring now is elegant and timeless, either way you cannot go wrong.

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
Wowza! That ring is gorgeous. My centre stone is 2.02 with the baguettes 0.8 ctw. I was thinking trap side stones in the 1 ctw might be the right proportion.

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
cokitty|1460933520|4020574 said:
I happen to adore the five stone style. I like it so well that I had one made with a pink spinel and one with a blue. I used LM for the first and SK for the second. That said your ring now is elegant and timeless, either way you cannot go wrong.

Do you have pics of your 5 stone rings to share? They sound gorge!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are very pretty with the right proportions, but you won't be able to use your baguettes.

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
I'm meeting with a jeweler today. Really hoping to use my baguettes. Why don't you think I can use them? Are they too long?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Love your current ring and *really* love the potential upgrade. Just adds a bit -more- to the loil which is alwas nice! Both settings are lovely & your center diamond is gorgeous! Good luck with the new setting!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Niel, tyty and AB. I have always loved that setting of Leon's. It's become something of a classic. If you can swing it? Do it!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EmeraldDiamondCity|1460976538|4020733 said:
I'm meeting with a jeweler today. Really hoping to use my baguettes. Why don't you think I can use them? Are they too long?

IMO-
My bet is not that you "can't". Typical jewelers bench, you probably won't be able to obtain it. They most likely will not be able to
1: recreate the look of the setting you love that has set the bar high. The setting itself (angles, finish, and custom fit of the stones in the setting refinement) is key to this look.
2: want to search far and wide, or custom cut/trim traps that fit/flow correctly between your center stone and bags. Or recut your bags to taper one end. (I can't see if they are straight or not)
3: use your existing baguettes for less money out the door to you.
Best wishes OP. Your ring is beautiful.
I think with the right willing bench, you can use your existing ones. The new traps should be tall to just a bit shorter than your center stone and skinny to leave room for your bags. And have steep angles to flow correctly between the center and sides.
Done right, using your bags or not, I think yours would be just as stunning as the two inspiration pics you posted.

P.S. Are your bags straight? If they are, have you thought of two more fat bags a bit shorter than your center stone set N/S, and going Art Deco?

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
Well friends... I'm moving ahead with the ring transformation. I should have it by middle of next week and will post pics as soon as I can. In the meantime, I can share with you pics from wax to cast. Stay tuned....

ps: Not sure why the pics are on their sides, and I can't figure out how to straighten them :confused:

_37074.jpg

_37073.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm guessing it will be stunning - can't wait to see the finished product! I think having those side stones up higher to the center stone will make a big difference!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The wax and casting look good, I can't wait to see it finished! :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see it! :appl:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! Can't wait to see it!
Did you end up getting to use your existing bags?
How much higher is the profile than your current, if any?

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
I did get used to the bigger baguettes, and we're keeping the profile the same. Do you think it should be higher?

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
EmeraldDiamondCity|1460941941|4020619 said:
cokitty|1460933520|4020574 said:

Do you have pics of your 5 stone rings to share? They sound gorge!

Yes they both have their own threads.
[urlhttps://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blue-velvet-five-stone-ring-spinel-and-diamonds-by-sk.202218/]Blue SK[/url]

[urlhttps://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thistle-color-for-spinel.163430/]Pink LM[/url]

427833_10200565050321895_1871263637_n.jpg
0skfsbs025.jpg

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
WOWZA!!! Your ring is gorgeous. I LOVE LOVE that your baguettes are bullets. I thought about changing my straight baguettes to bullets, but hate the idea of cutting away valuable diamond weight. And I love your double claws, do you have a bar between your traps and baguettes? I don't want a bar between my traps and baguettes and want claws instead, but my jeweller thinks it will look better with a bar.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
EmeraldDiamondCity|1462148359|4026003 said:
WOWZA!!! Your ring is gorgeous. I LOVE LOVE that your baguettes are bullets. I thought about changing my straight baguettes to bullets, but hate the idea of cutting away valuable diamond weight. And I love your double claws, do you have a bar between your traps and baguettes? I don't want a bar between my traps and baguettes and want claws instead, but my jeweller thinks it will look better with a bar.

Thanks EDC. I like bullets as well. I liked them so well on the pink, that I asked for them again on the blue. :naughty: I do not have bars between the stones, they are flush set. If you go through the thread on the blue there are oodles of photos up close if you want to see how it looks that way.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cokitty, your rings are beyond gorgeous!

EDC...The only thing I worry about with the bars is that due to the length of the baguettes, the bottom bars may fall between your fingers (rather than all the stones fitting across the top of your finger) and that might be uncomfortable. I'd want it made exactly like cokitty's if I were having one made.

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure my jeweller does diamond cutting.... do you think I should have the straight baguettes cut into bullets?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if the cutter thinks they would cut well into bullets, that would be best. They might could be shortened a tiny bit, too. I like the way the shank looks joining to the bullets on cokitty's rings a lot.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! I really can't wait to see this beauty!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
EmeraldDiamondCity|1462116092|4025799 said:
Well friends... I'm moving ahead with the ring transformation. I should have it by middle of next week and will post pics as soon as I can. In the meantime, I can share with you pics from wax to cast. Stay tuned....

ps: Not sure why the pics are on their sides, and I can't figure out how to straighten them :confused:

ohhh! LOVE! your ring looks like it will be very similar to the one I am having made, except I have an RB center. Yay for 5 stone rings! yours is going to be gorgeous!

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...d-bullets.221642/page-2#post-4017301#p4017301

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
I pick up my ring tomorrow.... I hope I love it. I'm then going out of town, but I'll take some pics as soon as I can with my crappy phone camera just so you ladies can see, and eventually I'll do some macros with a proper camera. I really hope this will look good. :eh:

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
You're ring is going to be Bee-U-T-Full. I can't wait to see it.

EmeraldDiamondCity

Rough_Rock
Well friends, the Frankenring has arrived. First I fattened up the baguettes, and then I added the traps. If I'd designed the ring at that same time I would have chosen longer traps and shorter baguettes. These pics were taken inside the house with my crappy old iPhone. I'll try to take some photos in natural light with a proper camera over the weekend. (For some reason there is a yellow cast in the photos, it's not there in real life... I blame the lighting).

img_11668.jpg

img_11669.jpg

img_11670.jpg

img_11671.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results