shape
carat
color
clarity

3 Stone ring - Proportions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t mean to bring up an old issue - BUT -

I searched the discussion site here about 3 stone rings and proportions of center stone to side stones. I found lots of interesting discussions and thoughts. Most of the discussions centered around three stone diamond rings. The general thoughts seemed to be

1) What ever looks good to you
2) Tiffany’s and DeBeers 2-1 ratio
3) A smaller .3-.41 ratio which brings out the center stone more

Since this is the colored gem stone area – I thought I might bring it up again – with a colored twist.

I have been going back and forth in my mind on a sapphire engagement ring (solitaire vs. three stone). I am now leaning towards a 3 stone E ring with a center sapphire and two side diamonds. The sapphire would be round cut 2-2.25cts. Trying to figure out the size of the round side diamonds.

I did see a nice Tiffany’s (just looking!) three stone (Sapphire Center/Diamond sides) that had about a .41 ratio (1.25 ct sapphire with .51 ctw diamonds). This had a smaller ratio than their traditional 2-1 ratio for a three stone diamond ring.

My gut feeling is that I don’t want to overwhelm the sapphire with diamonds which are too large. I want to highlight the Sapphire. So with a 2-2.25 ct Sapphire I am thinking .32-.5 ct each side diamond (.64-1.00ctw). I did notice that there is a big jump in price from .32 to .5 ct diamonds !

I will be buying all the stones online and then having a custom ring made here in Chicago.

I would like to hear some of your thoughts on this issue!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphires and diamonds are cut to different proportions... so if you take a ratio of weights that amkes reasonable refference for diamonds, it would not have the same look when colored stones are involved. Can you select some ratio of sizes (milimeters) rather than weight?

Also, sometimes it is recommended to use step cut diamonds in combination with colored stones so that they look about as brilliant as the centerpiece. Of course this is no absolute rule - just one idea I found interesting. How about half moons, trillions of bullet cut sides ?

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
valeria101,

Thanks for the questions/comments. I did not really think about the dimensions! I was focusing on cts.I did not consider that diamonds and sapphires will be cut differently - duh!

I like the look of round cut - in both the sapphire and diamonds.

Here are some sample dimensions of the stones I am considering.

Center Sapphire 2cts - 7.1 x 6.8 x 5.3 mm
Side diamond .32 cts each - 4.36 x 4.38 x 2.67 mm

I assume I should be focusing on the first dimension listed for each stone? In that case it looks like one of the side diamonds would be 61% of the size of the center sapphire?

Let me know if I am missing something.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Well,

Not to answer myself - but I did some more research - in case anyone else is interested for future reference.

Here are some very similar E-rings to what I was thinking.

http://www.superbcert.com/Shop_By_Product/Jewelry_Details.cfm/P/3909/N/2;13

This set up has a 2-1 ratio (1ct sapphire) and .25 ct sides (.5cttw) diamonds.

http://64.70.201.108/platinumsapphirediamondringsi.htm

This has a 2.0 ct Sapphire and two .60ct side diamonds. This is a little over a 2-1 ratio.

I guess it does come down to what you like. I do like the look of these two rings with a rough 2-1 ratio. So with my 2.0 ct sapphire I think .5ct each side stones would be nice.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
You have to decide if you want a real 3-stone look or a sapphire with diamonds as side stones...go to http://www.adiamondisforever.com/dyoer/index.html and design your own ring - go to engagement rings (3-stone rings don't let you select the center and side stone sizes separately) and play around with the proportions...this may give you a better idea of the proportions you want.

Good luck.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Gary for information and the web site. I am learning alot about sapphires, diamonds, and settings on this site. People like you are vaulable resources !

There is some debate on what is a true three stone ring. I have contacted the two web sites I listed in my previous email and they seem to go with the 2-1 ratio for the kind of Sapphire/Diamond ring I am looking for.

The DeBeers site is nice - but it is for three diamonds only. They are using a 3-2 ratio! Of course Debeers wants you to buy lots of big diamonds !

Sapphires tend to be a little smaller in the top diameter. The 2.0 ct sapphire I am looking at has a dimension of 7.1 mm. This is equivalent to a 1.35 ct diamond - I think. Using the DeBeers site for a 1.5 ct diamond would set the sides at .5ct each. So I am in the ballpark - I think!

Of course there is also Tiffanys to look at for the exact type of ring I am looking at - they use a 2-1 ratio too! I love the look of this Tiffany Engagement Ring - it is probably going to be my model. Of course I can get stones just a good (or better) but cheaper by ordering the stones myself and having a ring made at my local jewler!

Tiffany 3 stone Sapphire ring

Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results