shape
carat
color
clarity

3 stone dilemma. Anyone with opinions????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You mentioned that it would be possible to visit GOG in person.
My advise is to do so.
They can show you equely well cut G along side the I and you will know if it makes a difference to you.

As far as the $200 goes the slightly better cut and the added information is worth it.
Also if you get the whole ring from them and they are close you can take it there for check ups and service.
Its win win.

You get internet pricing and a local store the best of both worlds.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get the angles. Then I'm sure you'll be able to tell pretty quickly why those are priced lower. Lots of H&A's or 'ideal' stones out there that are not even close.

The 3 stones you have noted are priced very well....competitively.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 12/20/2003 5:27:48 PM strmrdr wrote:

You mentioned that it would be possible to visit GOG in person.
My advise is to do so.
They can show you equely well cut G along side the I and you will know if it makes a difference to you.

As far as the $200 goes the slightly better cut and the added information is worth it.
Also if you get the whole ring from them and they are close you can take it there for check ups and service.
Its win win.

You get internet pricing and a local store the best of both worlds.
----------------

You're right. They are closed until tues, so just more time to sit and stew in this process.

I just know running a buisness is hard - and don't want to waste anyone's time until ready to buy from them. I can find out so much via internet nowadays - that I appreciate and reserve face to face for when I am pretty darn sure. If we do go with them we will go to the store for sure.

Don't know why I feel that way as a consumer... maybe I should just go be a pesky consumer!

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well-priced: they are definitely in the top 30% of prices listed. Until one can check that there is a serious quality difference in the above-mentioned price range, I canot really say. The fact that I-SI stones, withih H&A parameters (however loose this range in absence of all needed measurements) have prices within 25% of the average is a bit strange. The picture below shows what I was talking about. GOG lists a G-SI2 at abot 9k: their prices are not on the list, but that level of info is not on mosts lists either...

asa1.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is more...

Of course, if more exploring is not worth it, the three pieces you have found are great.

ddd.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone said he was open on mondays during the holidays so it would be worth checking into and finding out if he is.
Maybe he will wander in and say for sure :}

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OUPS... wrong picture....

cccccc.JPG

laney

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are just the best!

I'm sure I'll make an informed decision!!!

Ok - off to the gym now... trying to slowly back away from the computer....slowly...
wacko.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just a side note... we're open every day (except Sunday) until 8pm and I'm here every waking hour.
2.gif

Since one of our stones was brought up I'd also like to point out that that particular stone has what Gary and I would call "tweaked upper girdles". That means that not only does that stone have jammin proportions but light leakage has been eliminated due to shallower upper girdle angles as well. If you want to come on Monday instead of Tuesday I'll be here bright and chipper.
2.gif

Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also... while on the subject of ideal H&A vs standard ideals, I would like to ask a question to some of our regular posters here (a question I of course know the answer to but would like to test ya'll).

What are the primary optical differences between an Ideal H&A (cut to cherry proportions) vs a standard ideal? Is there really a difference and is there any hard data to support your answer?

1.gif

Rhino

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Rhino - Thanks - I guess I should give you guys a call - I just looked on your website for the hours and saw that sun-mon you were closed. Thanks for the update.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No prob girl. If you have any questions we're here for ya.

Peace,

Rhino

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhino asks:

What are the primary optical differences between an Ideal H&A (cut to cherry proportions) vs a standard ideal? Is there really a difference and is there any hard data to support your answer?

----------

I am really not sure what the optical differences may be specifically. I know that Ideal H&A vs a non H&A ideal stone difference would definitely be the excellence in symmetry. Along with that would most likely come better fire, better light return, better scint....maybe all of the above? In general a more eye-popping stone.

I have seen regular 'ideal' stones in person and was not all that impressed. H&A in my Regent is visible even in such a small stone (arrows will catch the light sometimes and reflect back perfectly or show the scintillation of where they appear). So I can see a difference visually betwen regular ideal's and a true H&A.

While I can't really quantify what the differences are optically in great 'terms'...I do know there is a difference visually between H&A and non H&A ideal. I'd choose the H&A hands down each time.
2.gif

Rhino, please enlighten us with professional terminology!!
1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 12/20/2003 6:10:54 PM Rhino wrote:

Also... while on the subject of ideal H&A vs standard ideals, I would like to ask a question to some of our regular posters here (a question I of course know the answer to but would like to test ya'll).

1.gif

Rhino

More contrast (Viewing light return from light to dark areas within the stone as you roll the stone) -scintillation.

Crisp clear symmetrical Hearts & Arrows pattern.

Optimized light exiting the crown of the stone based on the critical crown and pav. angle relationship.

AGS "0" sets the standards and parameters set forth to maintain the AGS 0 grade. There are Ideal cut diamonds which fall into this category which based on the precision of cutting can exhibit the phenomenon of the Hearts & Arrows. Size, shape, form and how symmetrical the pattern is outlines the precision taken in cutting to form the phenomena.

You can see perfectly formed arrows when viewing a diamond through it's crown in the viewer and perfectly formed hearts when viewing the stone through the pavilion.

The level of perfection a stone is cut can be graded by how symettrical the pattern is and the generated variances between all the angles measured on a diamond, not just an average of the angles combined. You can have an AGS Ideal cut stone which averages out to fall into the Ideal AGS 0 cut grade but the variances between those angles can be steeper in some stones than in others...A stone with wild variances might have an affect on how the light is directed back out the crown based on how the angle and variances between the pav. facets and the crown and pav.. angle relationship are in certain stones..

Idealscope and Lightscope images show stones with steep pav..angles tend to contribute to leakage under the table...

There are devices like the Idealscope and Lightscope which show areas of leakage in diamonds and those with cherry combo's show less leakage and optimal contrast vs. stones which don't display the H&A Pattern...

HMMM...This is all that's coming out of my brain for now but it's a start../idealbb/images/smilies/wavey.gif

gregates

Rough_Rock
Laney

Lord of the Rings III

Sounds like your BF may be a fan. Show him this link for fun:

Tengwar Quenya

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results