shape
carat
color
clarity

3 rings and a few loose stones

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
I've recently had three stones set in rings... they are Tsavorite garnet (1.3ct, 6.8mm; Swala), Umbalite garnet (3.39ct, 8.82mm; Precision Gem) and Peridot (3.3ct, 9mm; Master Cut Gems).

Tsavorite and Umbalite garnets are custom set in 18k unplated white gold by my favourite local jeweller, who did a great job semi-bezeling the two garnets. And the peridot (3.3ct, 9mm) is set in a LOGR setting, with upgraded diamonds.

Oria-Garnet rings.png

Oria 3-profile.png

Oria 2garnet&peridot1.png

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
I've also bought a few stones..
1. Mexican fire opal (1.91ct) in phase star design from Osiris Gems. Uli was a pleasure to work with - v. friendly and always quick to respond with lots of info.

2. Rhodolite garnet (1.12ct), cut in trinity trillion design - another one from Osiris Gems. It's a bit darker IRL than the vendor pic, though it's not overly dark either, & has a fantastic cut.

OsirisRhodoTrinity.png

OsirisRhodo1.12ct Uli.png

OsirisFireOpal-PhaseStar1.png

Osiris FireOpal1.91.jpeg

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
3. Lilac sapphire (1.03ct) from Precision Gem. The colour is really fantastic (though it did not come out well on the screen... ;( ). It has a few bubble like inclusions, but not really noticeable to the naked eye.

PGLilac Sapph1.03ct2.png

PG Lilac Sapph1.03ct.png

PG Lilac Sapph Gene.png

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
4. Last one! Chrysoberyl (1.99ct) from Gemburionline - It's a little windowed (as expected), but I still like it..
I never thought I'd get a yellow stone, until I saw some amazing chrysoberyls on this forum... now I'm hooked! :cheeky: I would love to have a bigger & vividly coloured chrysoberyl (or vanadium chrysoberyl) someday... Anyone got any recommendations? :mrgreen:

Thanks for looking!

Tan Chryso1.99ct&0.87ct.png

Tan Chryso1.99ct.png

Tan Chryso-ScreenCapture.png

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Wow you've been busy and the rings are gorgeous, love the colours. The loose gems are beautiful too. :appl:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, lovely. I had been hoping that it was a PS'er who got Gene's lilac sapphire. All your new babies are wonderful, but that's the one I want to see more of! What are your plans for all of them?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful new gems. I especially like the tsavorite, the fire opal and the lilac sapphire. Very nice! :appl:

I wish I knew where to get neon chrysoberyl because I've looked EVERYWHERE, believe me. It is so hard to find in that neon highlighter color.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Lovinggems said:
Wow you've been busy and the rings are gorgeous, love the colours. The loose gems are beautiful too. :appl:

Thanks for your kind words!

Lovinggems: All the rings & stones are acquired over the course of 6/7months... & it took another month to post the pics on the updated PS... ::)

Aoife: I love Gene's lilac sapphire too! I think I'll have it bezel set in a simple 18k brushed yg ring, & make it into a stacking ring. But then, I need to get 2 more equally lovely stones to stack with... :rolleyes: For the cheap & cheerful 1.99ct chrysoberyl, I think I will get a LOGR setting to set into.
I don't really have any plans for Uli's stones (Fire opal & rhodolite), so I think I'll just leave them in the gem box to admire from time to time.

TL: I'm glad you like the tsav too ;)) the ring is my absolute favourite, and I often wear it on my left ring finger (in place of my wedding ring :mrgreen:).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All are lovely but I adore the unusual cut of the Umbalite and the Fire Opal. Is the cutting on the Fire Opal as obvious in real life as the vendor's photos? I'm often tempted by his gems but am worried that they won't be as beautiful as his photos! I had my eye on that Fire Opal for some time but I snoozed so I losed!

Enjoy them all.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
another fan of the umbalite!

MoZo

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
They're all pretty fab, but that tsavorite...droooooooooooooooooool...

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
LD, I don't think the cutting on the fire opal is as obvious as the vendor pic, though it is still quite noticeable.
I personally think it's a beautiful stone, with a razor sharp cut. I'm going to post one more pic of the fire opal - hope the facet patterns show..

MZ, I think I'm drawn to stones with unique cuts - I really love the frosted star pattern on the Umbalite.

Jstarfireb, Thanks!

Fire Opal1.png

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
VR - Nice stones and the Tsavorite is the standout gem to me. I have seen quite a few of Swala's Tsavs here on CS and they always look so good.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amazing pieces!! :appl:

-A

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Beautiful colors! I like the peridot ring, Gene's star Umbalite and latest Chrysoberyl in particular =)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eye Candy! So many favourites to choose from that I don’t know which one I love more; the lilac spinel, tsavorite and fire opal stand out for me. The saturation of the fire opal is burning my eyes. :love:

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: Very nice virgoruby! :lickout: I love the fire opal, peridot (been looking for one of those myself!), and the tsav! The frosted star on the rhodo is just too cool and your chryso has a very nice color.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yummy! I love the tsav. I think I may just have to put a nice tsav on my dream list after seeing so many great ones on PS.

The lilac sapphire is lovely as well and I love the idea of a simple setting for it. The brushed finish will make it pop, no doubt.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
virgoruby said:
3. Lilac sapphire (1.03ct) from Precision Gem. The colour is really fantastic (though it did not come out well on the screen... ;( ). It has a few bubble like inclusions, but not really noticeable to the naked eye.

I LOVE this sapphire!!! :love: What a beautiful violet/lilac color! It has such a nice pastel shade.

I also love the periodot in the LOGR halo (surprise surprise haha). You did good upgrading the diamonds, it really makes a difference in the quality of the halo.

Oh, and that fire opal is killer! Good lord, it looks radiactive! :-o

Thanks for sharing your beauties, and I can't wait to see them set.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono said:
Eye Candy! So many favourites to choose from that I don’t know which one I love more; the lilac spinel, tsavorite and fire opal stand out for me. The saturation of the fire opal is burning my eyes. :love:

Sorry, my bad; it’s the lilac sapphire that I think is pretty as I mistakenly thought it was a spinel. :oops:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:
Chrono said:

Sorry, my bad; it’s the lilac sapphire that I think is pretty as I mistakenly thought it was a spinel. :oops:

I didn't even notice, Chrono. :bigsmile:

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Klewis & Lady_Disdain, Thanks for your compliments - I really do love my tsav. It's a little lighter than a regular tsavorite, however, I prefer lighter toned stones anyway, so this one is perfect for me. Eric at Swala was really helpful & made my purchase so easy & enjoyable.

Arcadian, thanks!

Chictomato & brandy_z28, Thanks! The peridot didn't show up well in the pics, but it actually has a lovely apple green colour.
You know, I never got into peridot (despite being my birthstone) until I found out that they could come in beautiful shades of green.
I'm also fascinated by Mr Zeolite's recent thread on peridot: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-peridot-collection.147139/#post-2656222#p2656222

Chrono & PR, Thanks! The fire opal is my first ever orange stone & I love it! Too bad it's a soft stone..

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
virgoruby said:
The fire opal is my first ever orange stone & I love it! Too bad it's a soft stone..

I think fire opal is around a 7 on the Moh's scale. I do think it's durable enough for a ring (not everyday wear though), but you must be careful applying heat to it. Only an expert jeweler who is familiar with opals should set it. I love that fire opal, it's pure neon yummy orange!!!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful rings and loose stones, vigoruby :love: All your rings are gorgeous but I especially like the tsavorite. And the simplicity of the settings is really appealing-- allows you to focus on the stars of the show! You're lucky to have such a great jeweler.

Love the fire opal and lilac sapphire :lickout:

Sorry if you've already answered this question... how do you find your Osiris Gems stones compare to the pictures on his site? I have one red garnet that is beautiful... but doesn't look a lot like the picture. The faceting is amazing, just the color seems to be a little off.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
all atones are absolutely gorgeous, I liked them all. I think the peridot looks lovely. Such a beautiful, apple-green color.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
TL, thanks for your advice re fire opal.
(Btw, I love your Uli's neon fire opal too!)

Baby nurse, thanks for your lovely comments.
Re Uli's photos, I can only comment on the ones I got from him, ie fire opal and rhodolite.
Uli's pic of the fire opal is more or less representative of the stone IRL, if anything it appears just slightly more burnt orange, when in fact it's neon orange, which I am so pleased about. The description of the stone did say it was neon orange, so I kind of trusted Uli's description more than the pic.

With regards to the rhodolite, I think his photo shows the stone in a much lighter shade - what I see IRL is quite a bit darker purplish red, more like the colour shown in my (terrible) pic.
That said, I think reddish garnets tend to be dark no matter who the vendor is, so it's important that you ask the vendor about the colour (& anything else bugging you) before purchasing. I did ask Uli, & was told that it was medium toned, so I expected it to be darker than the vendor pic.
I like my rhodo, as it's not overly dark & has a unique cut.
I have to say Uli is really friendly and super quick to respond, so I would recommend anyone interested in his stone(s) to just send him an email.

I would love to see pics of your red garnet - have you already posted them on PS?

Crasru, thanks!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! You have been busy! They are all just Gorgeous! I love how the peridot came out in the LOGO setting. Looks very rich! That lavender sapphire is Stunning! Can't wait to see how you set it!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Nice collection. Great colours.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Cushioncutnut & oddoneout - thanks for your kind words.

I've recently purchased 2 (supposedly) untreated aquamarine - 1.63ct trillion & 1.23ct heart - yet again from Tan. I know they are not highly saturated, but I'm very happy with the colour, especially for what I paid.

Aquamarine.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For aquamarines, those 2 look great! For aquamarines, saturation does not seem to count for much. Instead, tone seems to play a stronger role in its valuation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results