shape
carat
color
clarity

3-Prong Setting on Pear

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Hello all. I chose a ring setting today at Quest, and when I expressed that I don't like prominent prongs at the top of a pear it was recommended that we do a three-prong with a v-shaped prong at the bottom. I said "Will that be secure?" and she said it would be -- but now I'm wondering about that....

Anyone have a three-prong pear ring and it turn out okay? Anyone lose a stone with a three-prong setting? Should I be worried and email the store and change it? Or am I worried about nothing?

Q

Queenie60

My pear has 5 prongs. They are very small and don't show as the stone is a G color and the platinum setting blends with the diamond. I am sure that 3 will be ok however I felt more secure with 5. I even did 5 on my pear earrings. Just like the security of the two additional prongs. What metal did you chose? Be sure that you have a point protector.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
14k white gold, and yes, it will be a v-prong at the tip.

Q

Queenie60

It should be secure - if I remember correctly, your stone is an E. Go to pinterest or googleimages and take a look at 5 prong set pear diamonds. That should give you an idea what it will look like. Personally I like 5 prong. Especially when you're using white metal it should not show up on a icy white diamond. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How large is your stone? My stone is large so I have 4 prongs + a V prong, but they are very small and pointy.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts are the less prongs you have the more you need to be careful with it (baby it). You dont have to have prominent prongs
if you dont like them (Quest should be able to make dainty, or claw like prongs). If it were me*, I would go with the 4 prongs plus
the V. Ask for small, dainty prongs. Take pictures of what you expect (or send them pictures). I barely notice the prongs on my
ering (well, except for the V that really could use an adjustment). You can see my prongs in my avatar.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, y'all. My stone is 1.5 carats. I emailed Jeri at Quest and told her that I'm worried about three prongs and suggested doing five instead.

Q

Queenie60

tyty333|1444824630|3938126 said:
My thoughts are the less prongs you have the more you need to be careful with it (baby it). You dont have to have prominent prongs
if you dont like them (Quest should be able to make dainty, or claw like prongs). If it were me*, I would go with the 4 prongs plus
the V. Ask for small, dainty prongs. Take pictures of what you expect (or send them pictures). I barely notice the prongs on my
ering (well, except for the V that really could use an adjustment). You can see my prongs in my avatar.

I agree with this completely. When wearing your engagement ring you will be prone to banging it around a bit. The more prongs the better. Also, be sure that the ring feels comfortable on your hand. My ring is quite large however I wear it most of the time (exception when I'm cooking and cleaning and working out) because it's comfortable on my hand and the stone is well protected.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
They are going to do claw prongs. Now I can stop worrying and go back to being excited!

Q

Queenie60

I am excited for you! Can't wait to see the finished product. Congratulations to you and enjoy your new ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results