shape
carat
color
clarity

3 prong Martini setting for 2ct pendant...would be OK?

Semy

Rough_Rock
I am planning to purchase a 2ct diamond solitaire pendant potentially from Whiteflash but can't decide between 3 prong martini and 4-corner setting.

3 prong martini pendant looks more attractive to me, because
- it makes a milder necklace line, whereas a 4-corner necklace makes a sharp 'V' shape on the neck
- all of my pendants have 4-corner setting only so far! I want some change in style
- from the photos of WF, I have impression that 3 prong martini pendant sits closer to skin than 4-corner setting

However, I am not sure if 3 prong would be secure enough for 2ct stone. Another concern- would the pendant sit flat with this setting?

Your advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am planning to purchase a 2ct diamond solitaire pendant potentially from Whiteflash but can't decide between 3 prong martini and 4-corner setting.

- it makes a milder necklace line, whereas a 4-corner necklace makes a sharp 'V' shape on the neck
- all of my pendants have 4-corner setting only so far! I want some change in style
- from the photos of WF, I have impression that 3 prong martini pendant sits closer to skin than 4-corner setting

However, I am not sure if 3 prong would be secure enough for 2ct stone. Another concern- would the pendant sit flat with this setting?

It’s a personal decision but I would be afraid to have a three prong secure a 2 carat diamond. I also think the martini setting may flip more...

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
for that size i'd go w/ 6 prongs....they can be tiny but 6 points of contact would be better than 3 imho

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to make sure that the setting has a flat back to rest upon the skin. Otherwise, it will be very prone to flipping.

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock

HI @lihoo I know you said you already have four prong pendants but I do feel like the 3 prong martini style might not be very secure for a 2ct stone. If you do a four prong with a fixed chain style where the necklace chain is attached by loops soldered to the basket at around 11pm and 1pm, it will not have that sharp "V" shape on your neckline. Have you seen @m-2-b 's Whiteflash four corners necklace with a 2.8 ct diamond? It is gorgeous and sits quite low and flat so as not to flip.

I suspect the juicy 2ct size solitaire stone will be all that people really notice at the end of the day, but if you are set on different prongs than your other pendants, a delicate 6 prong style or even a double 4 prong a la Harry Winston could give you a different look.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have a Brian Gavin over 2 ct in their 3 prong martini and I love it. I feel it is secure. I will add that I do not wear it e everyday. I also never wear any jewelry to bed or when exercising, showering, swimming, etc. Also, it is insured. Just want to give those disclaimers. But I love how it is all about the diamond, as if it is floating in air. Also, I like how the martini allows the round shape to really stand out. Mine is in white gold. I’m just not a huge platinum fan these days, I really love the high shine of the white gold. I was very into platinum for a number of years but I realized I missed the high polish and lightweight characteristics of white gold. My mother-in-law has a solitaire pendant in a bezel and I really admire it but I think in a larger diamond the bezel makes it overall too large (at least for me). As it is, I feel like my pendant with its “barely there” mounting is already a bit too large (for me). The quality of the mounting and the setting of the stone itself by Brian Gavin is so substantial that it feels very secure.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
a 2 carat diamond solitaire pendant for daily wear, i think is best to, at the very least, go with a four pronged, flat back setting. personally, i would be a bit nervous with only 3 prongs securing a 2 carat stone. if so much as just one prong is compromised, that stone is gone ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results