shape
carat
color
clarity

3 ct J Transitional upgrade - thank you sincityfinds!

SillyMonkee

Rough_Rock
I fell in love with my engagement ring before I fell in love with my husband (I saw it at an annual antique fair about a month before he finally asked me out - we were colleagues at an insurance company and I had been flirting with him (rather shamelessly, both for my personality and an insurance company... which is to say no one else noticed at all) for years), and happily the vendor still had it a year later when we were newly engaged. It's a 1 ct F VS2 emerald in a Tiffany Lucida-like setting, and I just loved the trellis work of the setting and the geometry of the emerald cut.

But... I've always loved antique jewelry and sometimes a girl just needs a culet to fall into while staring transfixed by her ring, so in preparation for my upcoming 10 year anniversary and 40th birthday, I've been stalking eBay, LoupeTroop, auction houses and Instagram, searching for the right upgrade stone. My target specs were:
- Checkerboard transitional cut. If it has to fall to one side or the other, more OEC than RB, but again, I like the organized checkerboard geometry of the facets in stones that tend to come back with Circular Brilliant grading.
- 9mm diameter
- J-K color. Unfortunately for me and my pocketbook, I am color sensitive and rather spoiled by my current F. I'd tried K color old cuts on my hand and been okay with the color, but L is where my eye starts to twitch.
- SI clarity. Just "reasonably eye clean" would be fine - no black carbon spots, nothing hanging out right under the table, but inclusions that blend in with the faceting don't bother me.
- Fluorescence would be a nice to have, since it's so cool to look at under black light, but not necessary.

I'd tried and returned several candidates over the years, but this fall the lovely sincityfinds posted the stone that stopped me in my tracks. J color, 9.5mm (!), VS1, faint fluorescence Circular Brilliant and I was IN LOVE. Since there had been something wrong with my previous attempts (fish eye cut; cloud right under the table; stone both smaller and yellower than described), I was worried that I might always find something at least something wonky with a stone and would have to talk myself into it. But, just like my husband - whom I met the day of my interview at the company and felt the lightning bold immediately (by the way, I'm a risk analyst, so this is not in character, at all) - when I know, I know.

sincityfinds could not have been more of a dear to work with - even emotionally holding my hand when my credit union's website told me I was going to need to fax (!) a form over (actually, they had already converted to Docusign but not updated their web copy) to complete the wire transaction. And then the package arrived, and I was shocked into giddiness. So big! Such beautiful, organized facets! And faint blue fluorescence to play with in a dark closet!

She's... gonna be naked for a while until my budget is ready for setting, but here are some pictures with her older little brother (love the flashes of pastel in that shot) and playing with some succulents (the CA sun was too bright to get anything withOUT fire today, it seemed).
DSC_0600.jpeg DSC_0605.jpeg DSC_0606.jpeg

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty, @SillyMonkee!! Congrats on your 10th anniversary and Happy 40th!! Please fill us in once you decide what setting to go for. Would love to see where this project/ journey takes you.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow, it’s gorgeous!!!

Congrats on the anniversary and on the birthday.

What are you thinking for the setting?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s stunning! Happy birthday and anniversary! Your stone looks like Bertie’s sister! She’s a circular brilliant J too and her faceting pattern (Which I adore) is very similar! Enjoy her in much Heath and happiness!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful diamond. Congratulations!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I look forward to seeing it set!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beatiful diamond! And I love that it's very different to your Tiffany, as however you set it, it will be a very new look on you.

Can't wait to see how you set it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Congrats on finding her!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Sin city has such lovely inventory. But you have to act fast. Gorgeous diamond! Please don't forget to come back and share her in her setting glory!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that's a beautiful stone! Congratulations on your anniversary and birthday! what sort of setting are you thinking of for this big babe? I also cannot believe you've not bought a super basic setting so you can wear her everywhere and fall into that faceting - such discipline!

peonyinlove

Rough_Rock
gorgeous! and i have the same sterling silver ring box - vintage birks is always a good thing!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Everything I see on Sin City Finds Instagram is gorgeous. What a fantastic diamond! Congratulations on finding this beauty.

Last edited:

SillyMonkee

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your kind words! I was originally thinking of setting her in... basically the same setting that I currently have (4-prong trellis), but then I read the horror story of the 3ct diamond getting completely knocked off the band and I'm terrified. There is definitely a RockyTalky post coming asking for suggestions, but so far I've found a 6 prong trellis setting on Since1910.com that seems to fit the bill (whatever I do will definitely have the trellis swoops - that's what I fell in love with originally, I still love them, and I want my new setting to "call back" to my original ring). The requirements are: platinum, 4 mm shank, must be able to lie flush against my plain 4 mm platinum band, trellis, and... enough prongs that I can wear it without panic attacks!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SillyMonkee Did you see the new 3.31 ct J Transitional Diana posted today? I am considering it...if you don't mind me asking, did you pay her asking price for your stone?

I’m not sillymonkee but just wanted to say I think that’s a fantastic price. Diana always offers amazbling pieces at more than fair prices. If you love it that’s a great deal. IMO. ❤️

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
I’m not sillymonkee but just wanted to say I think that’s a fantastic price. Diana always offers amazbling pieces at more than fair prices. If you love it that’s a great deal. IMO. ❤️

Thank you. She has been wonderful about providing more info on the stone. I am certainly thinking very hard about it. This would be my first engagement ring so I am concerned it may be too big. I know PS is the wrong place to voice that concern!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. She has been wonderful about providing more info on the stone. I am certainly thinking very hard about it. This would be my first engagement ring so I am concerned it may be too big. I know PS is the wrong place to voice that concern!

Haha not true. We would be honest with you. Are you comfortable with the size? Can you try a similar size diamond on to see how you feel?

There’s no right or wrong. It’s what you love ❤️

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
Haha not true. We would be honest with you. Are you comfortable with the size? Can you try a similar size diamond on to see how you feel?

There’s no right or wrong. It’s what you love ❤️

I also have thin fingers (ring size 3.75) so 3+ carats would give very good coverage. I have tried on a 5 carat Tiffany round for fun. That was a little ginormous, yes lol. Then otherwise I’ve tried on 2-2.5 carats mostly. We plan on visiting Grace during the first week of January so I should have the opportunity to try a range of sizes. Just not sure Diana’s stone will last that long, but I’m willing to chance it so I get a better idea of what size fits me best.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have thin fingers (ring size 3.75) so 3+ carats would give very good coverage. I have tried on a 5 carat Tiffany round for fun. That was a little ginormous, yes lol. Then otherwise I’ve tried on 2-2.5 carats mostly. We plan on visiting Grace during the first week of January so I should have the opportunity to try a range of sizes. Just not sure Diana’s stone will last that long, but I’m willing to chance it so I get a better idea of what size fits me best.

It’s a good idea to visit grace if you’re not sure about the size to try them on and get an idea. Just one thing to consider. DSS. Diamond shrinkage syndrome. It’s real. Good luck!

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations. It’s beautiful

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
If soy are unsure about the size of your dream diamond get a cz ring in different sizes and wear it around the house (and also outside) to get a good feeling. That really helped me to get my (current)! ideal size right.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results