shape
carat
color
clarity

3 Ct Cushion Cut Diamond - with Pictures and GIA! Help!?!?!

Re: 3 Ct Cushion Cut Diamond - with Pictures and GIA! Help!?

WallaWalla3|1295993009|2832889 said:
I've looked at the 2.5 ct cushions and unfortunately they are too small even with a halo. Not sure how to say this, but she has unusually large fingers.

How is 4/4.5 unusually large?!?!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

appreciateyouradvice|1296844286|2843037 said:
WallaWalla3|1295993009|2832889 said:
I've looked at the 2.5 ct cushions and unfortunately they are too small even with a halo. Not sure how to say this, but she has unusually large fingers.

How is 4/4.5 unusually large?!?!

I am with you, appreciateyouradvice...earlier when you said that the 2.5 + halo was too small, I was assuming she had a size 9 or 10 finger! (nothing wrong with that btw!) a size 4 is definitely small.

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

Sorry. I should have clarified. Her fingers are unusally large (i.e. long). They're actually longer than mine but very skinny; she's very tall (hence the 4.5). But I guess that doesn't matter for size of stone.

My biggest concern is that this 3ct is particularly large in the face (does the table % and depth % make this a flat or shallow stone? it kind of looks that way?) and that it is going to swallow the width of her finger espcially with the larger halo that she has picked out. I've attached a picture of the style below. Unfortunately, the halo is not negotiable.

It's a strange situation. The 2.5cts with l/ws around 7.85 were too small. And this looks WAY to big. So at this point I'm wondering how big is too big? I don't want this to seem like a cocktail ring.

leon.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I realize your searching for a cushion but idk if Anyones pointed out the beautiful 2.5 carat yellow diamond Leon that's her size for sale on JBEG site to you yet? She's got a few leons amd a few beautiful rings that are bigger in size. It's almost at the bottom and you should check out the other stuff on her site too, the new halo that they have is beautiful!

http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/modern_and_estate_jewelry_page_2

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WallaWalla, I do think a 3 carat in a halo would look huge on anyone, but on a size 4 finger, it's going to look massive! If the halo really is not negotiable, I'd go for the most delicate micropave halo possible. Definitely not a double halo.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock

Just my very humble opinion, but I would not worry at all about the size! :appl:

It may seem huge at first, but once she wears it for awhile it will visually "shrink" most likely.

Not in the cocktail territory at all, I don't think.

smiley12345

Rough_Rock

Hi Walla - my cushion brilliant diamond has a 62% depth also (and 65% table) which is considered a tad shallow for a cushion. The benefit however, is that the diamond will generally face up a bit bigger (my 2.23 ct is 8.0 x 8.2mm) as you are noticing. In terms of performance, my cushion has amazing fire and brilliance and looks fantastic in all lighting despite the "shallow" depth - so while my "numbers" are not ideal per say, its true that you can't judge a fancy cut by the numbers. You saw it in person, so if it looked great to you I wouldn't worry about the depth %.

I have a size 4 finger, no halo and my ring is very substantial looking. This stone is going to look huge on her finger, but still beautiful in the right setting! :love:

slg47

Ideal_Rock

WallaWalla-maybe look for a more rectangular/elongated cushion rather than a more square one? also, since the setting is from LM, maybe have them source a diamond for you? Leon can probably advise you about the proportions as well. To me, a 3 carat with a large spread in a halo on a size 4.5 finger would look like a cocktail ring, but some really like that look!

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

slg47

Ideal_Rock

frankiextah|1296867879|2843489 said:
sorry for thread jacking a little bit ... but did i see this ring on JBEG's site ?!?!?! :errrr:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-leon-mege-set-er-and-wb.145046/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-leon-mege-set-er-and-wb.145046/[/URL]

unworn and brand new ?! oh my i wonder what happened .... this is one of my favorite rings on PS !

frankie I think he came back and posted that things didn't work out...but I agree, it is a BEAUTIFUL set.

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

Need some desperate help. As I mentioned the stone I purchased was huge. And I have been having second thoughts. Since it has been past the seven day return policy the vendor is refusing to take the stone back; claiming that they have outlayed the money and purchased the stone already. And that there is nothing they can do because the owner won't take it back from him. The only option he is offering me now (outside of charging me a 15% buyback fee) is the ability to exchange the stone for another he personally owns for the same price. I don't have a picture of the new stone (sorry need your opinion on the specs without a photo). But saw it in person when I visited the vendor. It looked about the same as my stone to me, but again - I'm an ametuer. The vendor claims that his stone is actually worth more. Here are the specs, what can you guys tell me; looks being about the same.

Is this G SI1 REALLY worth more than the I VS1 above? He claims it is a better stone strictly based on the color being higher (but what about the clarity being an SI1 versus a VS1)? I guess all things being equal is it better to go up 2 steps in color in exchange for down 2 steps in clarity?

New stone:

3.30gsi1.jpg

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

For your quick comparison; here's the cert again of the stone I bought; 3.01 I VS1.

3.03%20cert.jpg

Kiley

Rough_Rock

Hi! This cushion is not quite at the 3 carat mark, but it is over 8mm in length and width and I think it's absolutely gorgeous with a dazzling facet pattern ....

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7782

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock

wallawalla are you sure your girlfriend would think it was too big? Couldn't you ask her? Not in detail maybe but about her size preference again? Or ask her best friend, sister, mother?

If you had already seen the second stone you posted in person why didn't you chose it in the first place? There must have been a reason at the time?

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock

I have a 5CT+ with a 5.5 size and I don't think it is too big.

Remember, when she has worn it for a bit, it will look just right. Cushions are cut a little deeper so the body retains more weight in there comared to a round... I think the stone you got is lovely and it would make her really happy.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

WallaWalla3|1297258211|2847512 said:
Need some desperate help. As I mentioned the stone I purchased was huge. And I have been having second thoughts. Since it has been past the seven day return policy the vendor is refusing to take the stone back; claiming that they have outlayed the money and purchased the stone already. And that there is nothing they can do because the owner won't take it back from him. The only option he is offering me now (outside of charging me a 15% buyback fee) is the ability to exchange the stone for another he personally owns for the same price. I don't have a picture of the new stone (sorry need your opinion on the specs without a photo). But saw it in person when I visited the vendor. It looked about the same as my stone to me, but again - I'm an ametuer. The vendor claims that his stone is actually worth more. Here are the specs, what can you guys tell me; looks being about the same.

Is this G SI1 REALLY worth more than the I VS1 above? He claims it is a better stone strictly based on the color being higher (but what about the clarity being an SI1 versus a VS1)? I guess all things being equal is it better to go up 2 steps in color in exchange for down 2 steps in clarity?

New stone:

3.30gsi1.jpg

Yes, in general, a G SI1 will be worth more than an I VS1. Diamond prices are an interaction between color and clarity, with clarity affecting price less at the lower colors. So a VS1 in an I color stone does not cost as much as trying to get a VS1 in a G color stone. BUT the jump from I to G color is HUGE in terms of price. So yes, I suspect that the G Si1 is more "valuable" in absolute terms. It is also a 4 main cushion if I am not miskaten? I think you should look at it if possible, it seems like a good possibility.

The setting you posted is, if I am not mistaken, similar to crooked rock's ring, she is a PSer, if not her actual ring. It is very substantial. Has your gf tried on rings like that? Pave in that style takes a lot of maintenance and means babying the ring. You also cannot wear a wedding band with that style because of the three-sided pave. These are perhaps silly things that some women have not thought of before they actually wear a ring full time. But she should make sure she wants that style of setting before pulling the trigger, as a setting like that from LM would cost a lot of money, maybe $10k+ if I had to guess. And that is not a style you can have made by just anyone, they need to be a pave master.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Kiley|1297259953|2847525 said:
Hi! This cushion is not quite at the 3 carat mark, but it is over 8mm in length and width and I think it's absolutely gorgeous with a dazzling facet pattern ....

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7782

Thanks for the kind mention Kiley. This was just sent out to be recut and it's optics are going to be seriously altered so is no longer available as is.

I've been following this thread with interest. Just curious wallawalla, I'm sorry if you answered this and I overlooked it but what kind of return period was there?

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

The stated policy is a seven day return period, which has lapsed. However, vendor told me that they have already purchased the stone from the owner and since it is now past those seven days he can longer get his money back; hence my inability to return the stone.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

WallaWalla3|1297283998|2847879 said:
The stated policy is a seven day return period, which has lapsed. However, vendor told me that they have already purchased the stone from the owner and since it is now past those seven days he can longer get his money back; hence my inability to return the stone.

wallawalla I am confused, I thought you bought a G colored stone that was 'too big'...what diamond(s) did you buy?

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

Sorry, had to reread. There was an error in my prior post, it was an I (not the G) that I purchased. The G was the other one that is being offered now in place of the I.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock

Wallawalla,
I would give her a chance to see the stone before you go to the trouble of exchanging it for the vendor's stone. I rarely see people downsizing their diamonds around here. I'm sure it happens, but nothing comes to mind. If letting her pre-approve the stone is an option, it may help you to determine your next steps. She may have wanted a halo to get to that 3 ct. mark visually, but the larger center stone may change her mind, in which case, a different setting (without a halo) may be an option.

I know we're addicted to those beautiful August Vintages around here, which have high crowns and smaller tables than your current stone, but if she mentioned that size over cut was her preference, this stone may very well be the perfect fit for her.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

pixley|1297287532|2847930 said:
Wallawalla,
I would give her a chance to see the stone before you go to the trouble of exchanging it for the vendor's stone. I rarely see people downsizing their diamonds around here. I'm sure it happens, but nothing comes to mind. If letting her pre-approve the stone is an option, it may help you to determine your next steps. She may have wanted a halo to get to that 3 ct. mark visually, but the larger center stone may change her mind, in which case, a different setting (without a halo) may be an option.

I know we're addicted to those beautiful August Vintages around here, which have high crowns and smaller tables than your current stone, but if she mentioned that size over cut was her preference, this stone may very well be the perfect fit for her.

I agree with this. The only reason I would suggest looking at the G on offer is the better color and perhaps better or more appealing cut as it is a 4 main stone. If size was the only difference, I would definitely say keep what you have.

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock

When you say better cut because it is a "4-main" stone. I thought this was the opposite? That most people are looking for 8-main stones over 4-main because they perform better in terms of sparkle, light, etc.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

WallaWalla3|1297289490|2847955 said:
When you say better cut because it is a "4-main" stone. I thought this was the opposite? That most people are looking for 8-main stones over 4-main because they perform better in terms of sparkle, light, etc.
you really can't tell with cushions or any fancy cuts just by the numbers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results