shape
carat
color
clarity

3+ Carat Emerald Cut question

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi all, I am starting to search for a new stone after my marquise conundrum. I am torn between an antique cushion or an emerald cut. I think I am quickly falling down the Emerald Cut rabbit hole though as I am so mesmerized by them. I just wish they faced up larger. I tried on a 3.50 carat and it looked tiny (maybe I am jaded by my old huge marquise). I like warm colors, O-Z and I can't seem to stop looking at this stone. I don't care for the setting (I like halos but doesn't this pave look strange???) but they are willing to sell the stone loose. I saw a hand shot video and it was very sparkly. What do y'all think of it?
Edit to say that I don't know why the GIA cert is so tiny. Here are the stats:
10.45 x 7.75 x 5.11
3.85 Carat
U to V range
VS1
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Flou None
Culet: Very small

_35119.jpg

s-l1600__1_0.jpg

s-l1600__2_0.jpg

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
wow I think thats the stone I was lookng at on ebay if it is it did look great in the pictures

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sphene you have a good eye, that's the one. I have looked at so many Emerald cuts and keep going back to this.

How can I tell if it has good optics though? Theyvhave a great return policy but is there anything about the cert that can tell me about the stone or no? I am so out of my league but I think it may be the one...? Ha!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I look at polish and symmetry and want very good to excellent on anything but antique stones. I think that shows some of the attention to cut quality by the cutter. I'd have to see more views of that stone to know whether I like the overall cut. But since you can order and return it, seeing it is always the best option to know for sure. I think the setting is very pretty and works well with the color of the stone.

It is hard since cushions and emerald cuts face up smaller than some other stones due to depth. I'm looking at emerald cuts, too, and have the same dilemma about size.

Dave Atlas sells ASET scopes on his site. I plan to get one to help me know more about optics on fancy cuts especially.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
DS that is an interesting idea about the ASET scope. I wish I could just borrow one! This is really the only other good image of the stone. It has a culet so does that means it an antique cut? And does it look like it has crazy facets at either end or is that normal? It was very sparkly in the video she sent me so that is really all I have to go on. Finding warm color emerald cuts is hard!

The setting looks pretty but seems to have a lot of metal between the pave doesn't it? The bezel around the stone does seem to increase the size visually.

screenshot_2015-10-31-11-43-02_1.jpg

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Would you be concerned about the amount of black background you can see through the facets? Is that leakage?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, I wish I could borrow an ASET scope, too!

Gosh, it could be almost any age, I guess.The open culet must be tiny because I can't see it in the picture. I think you really have to see it and move it back and forth to see if the facets are lighting up as you move it. I think you could possibly see leakage with any emerald cut stone if the picture is taken at just the right angle, so I wouldn't rule it out just because of that picture. That is where the ASET would help. I think maybe the corner facets are more apparent due to the color. We probably don't notice them as much in a high color EC.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not seeing any open culet but the symmetry is definitely off.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You know, now that you mention it, I think you are right. What must be why they bezeled it...

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
therainbowradish|1446266178|3944082 said:
Hi all, I am starting to search for a new stone after my marquise conundrum. I am torn between an antique cushion or an emerald cut. I think I am quickly falling down the Emerald Cut rabbit hole though as I am so mesmerized by them. I just wish they faced up larger. I tried on a 3.50 carat and it looked tiny (maybe I am jaded by my old huge marquise). I like warm colors, O-Z and I can't seem to stop looking at this stone. I don't care for the setting (I like halos but doesn't this pave look strange???) but they are willing to sell the stone loose. I saw a hand shot video and it was very sparkly. What do y'all think of it?
Edit to say that I don't know why the GIA cert is so tiny. Here are the stats:
10.45 x 7.75 x 5.11
3.85 Carat
U to V range
VS1
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Flou None
Culet: Very small

Have you thought of looking at Ovals? They have the spread of the marquise without the points?

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes but I don't love ovals. I thought of having the marquise cut into an oval but would rather get a step cut or cushion :)

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
I hear ya... LOVE STEP CUTS, but when I tried on a 3.5ct emerald i went running back to oval for coverage on my size 8 fingers

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
THAT is what I am struggling with. I am looking at a 4.04 which measures 10.19x7.7 and dang that sounds small. I have 5.25 fingers. Sigh. I need a 5 carat but also need a money tree.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results